Saiga IZ 340 AK74 Rifle NEW Model

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We just got in a shipment of the NEW Saiga IZ 340 5.45 X 39 rifles , these have the Russian Factory installed front han guards and AK74 front sight block . These also have threads on the front block c

Got my conversion finished on this model. Thanks to Atlantic and CSS for everything!!  

The following parts are what would be required to replicate the $469 IZ 340 (according to what I can make out by their web pic)   Front Sight Block W/Bayonet Lug $55.00 Gas Tube $18.00 Hand Guard

universal_exports ... it all depends on what you want out of a gun and what final configuration that you want it to be in as to which gun is the best way for you to go. You have to break the gun down into three categories. 1) Rear end only conversion. 2) Rear end conversion with front grip conversion. 3) Full rear end and front end conversion.

If you want a relatively true AK-74 look then that Waffen Works gun that you linked too is a great gun for the price. Bulgy gun with correct parts for under $650. Waffen Works is known for good builds and good customer service. The gun has no holes to plug/weld shut like a Saiga conversion because it is not a Saiga receiver.

If you take the IZ340 that Atlantic posted originally in this thread, the front end conversion is completely done for you, with the exception that the gas block will not have a lug ... which may or may not matter to you. Honestly, the front end conversion is the most difficult part of the whole thing. To get it in an AK-74 format you would have to do the rear end modification, adding $150 or less to the gun. So you are looking in the ball park of $625 or so for the converted gun. Depending on the look you want, you might want to plug or weld holes as well. Really, the price that the IZ340 is listed for is a pretty accurate price considering the cost that you would have in parts for the front end conversion to the base gun.

If you take the the bare bones Saiga, you can get the gun and do a basic rear end conversion for probably $500 or less. This will still leave you with a non-converted front end. Convert the front end and you are back at the $625-$650 ball park on the gun.

My recent conversion I invested about $750 in the entire gun, but I went for details that are not necessary.

Like I said, it all depends on what you want as the finished product and what your budget allows. If you want an out of the box AK74, then that Waffen Works is a heck of a deal, IMO.

20120202_183621.jpg

20120202_183959.jpg

Ben4345 Here is a pic of the threads. And a pic of the thread protector. Mine was tack welded in 4 places. I thought the thread protector was threaded like the Saiga 12. But it was not. Now I need to purchase a brake. What is the thread pattern 24mm? 14x1? thanks

Edited by chinitowest
  • 1 month later...

Anyone here in Texas, have experience doing the rear conversion, and feels confident doing one for a small or some type of barter.

I'm building a Saiga collection, getting one of every caliber, except the 410. At least one I feel should be converted, I'll even buy one to get converted, unless money says I should buy a converted.

Thanks

We just got in a shipment of the NEW Saiga IZ 340 5.45 X 39 rifles , these have the Russian Factory installed front han guards and AK74 front sight block . These also have threads on the front block covered up by a thread protector for import purposes. These are a excellent choice for your Saiga AK74 conversions.

Atlantic Firearms.com

Widest Selection of AK Firearms in the USA.

IZ340.jpg

I want another 5.45 now!

It's a great price... most people aren't going to save a lot of money for changing out the gas tube and doing the forearm conversion themselves. Plus once you remove the imported stock, trigger, hammer, and sear you are 922r compliant so long as you don't attach an imported muzzle device, but you can always replace the handguard with easily available US made AK furniture. Plus for assault weapons ban states like NY you can permanently attach your brake and then add a pistol grip.

Any chance these will be imported like this in .223?

Anyone here in Texas, have experience doing the rear conversion, and feels confident doing one for a small or some type of barter.

I'm building a Saiga collection, getting one of every caliber, except the 410. At least one I feel should be converted, I'll even buy one to get converted, unless money says I should buy a converted.

Thanks

check out tac47. i traded them cash for a superb conversion. thousands of rounds later and not one problem. their work is squared away and on the level!

Question for you guys. As mentioned earlier in the thread, I have seen reports of loose front hand guards. How would you fix this? thats really the only thing holding me up from getting a 5.45 model. I am going to pick one up regardless, just not sure if I want the half converted model as it seems a crap shoot on quality. Granted, iv seen more that have a tight fit over not, but still the chance is there. So id like some input on that if anyone could help.

Thanks

where in Texas are you located? If you're close to Houston I can help.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a report on mine that I got last week:

Pistol grip nut hole already cut.

Flat trunnion base.

Spot welds on thread cover annoyingly close to sight tower.

Handguards not even vaguely loose.

And . . . Beryl stocks are pure pwnage.

That is all. wink.png

that about sums it, I also couldnt use my safety lever as it was too short, had to use a Bul 74.

• 2 weeks later...

Why don't these have the accessory lug on the gas block for the cleaning rod?

Lower handguard has rod holder, and it has the damned bayonet lug on the FSB, but not the other?

The bayonet lug had to be ground off due to its presence being listed as a "non sporting". But I'm fairly certain the cleaning rod holder was left in pace.

You can buy a replacement FSB with the lug, but you have to have a press to get the old one off, and its a PITA.

Edited by Xitesmai
  • 3 weeks later...