Been doing a good amount of AR "builds" lately and just wanted to say a few good words about KNS Precision parts. Often when we talk about building a gun here we discuss the major parts groups and leave out all the little ones. The further I delve in to the AR world the more I see that the little parts can make a world of difference in a good build. Here's some rather cheap upgrades that are worth every penny

I used the Gen 2 non-rotating trigger/hammer pins, Push button takedown pin and pivot pin with sling stud. Forget the fact that it took less time to put together and it reduced the amount of springs in the system overall. It seems to have tightened up any "wiggle" (didn't even know it was an issue before) in my Geissele trigger for an even crisper break. I guess the trigger pins before had been rotating giving the trigger some play.

• Like 1

I’m looking at an AR build in the future just to see if I start from scratch if I can build something without my usual compromises. Over time I’ve had several guns I built (mostly 1911s) that were close but I seem to always settle for some part(s) of it that’s not exactly what I wanted just to get it done and save a couple of dollars. Your post was a good reminder not to just think about the big chunks but to look at every single piece that’s going into the build regardless of size because they still affect the function.

While I’m not thinking in terms of a “Bucket List” these next guns bought, built, or modified will be the last ones for me and will be handed down to my son. It’s cool to think in time he’d say with pride “this is one my dad did”, not “pops screw the pooch on this one”.

It is amazing how a little part can make a difference. I have a chromed and polished RRA 2-stage trigger in my Spikes tactical with a 18" Noveske barrel and I installed the pins in it 6 months after I first built the gun and i was amazed the difference that it made I will now be putting them in all of my AR's.

Geissele strongly recommends you not use KNS pins with their triggers.

Hmmm. Didn't see any warning about that. Have any idea why?

I've seen Bill Geissele state that they weren't recommended, my google-fu isn't turning it up though. Did find this from Steve at ADCO though,

Here is the deal on non-rotating pins

Geissele SSA pins are 0.1550" dia 0.0001. Holes in the trigger can be 5 tenths over Geissele pin size. Kns pins are either .154 or .1555. So they are either too loose or just about a metal to metal fit in Geissele triggers

Geissele pins are chrome-moly steel that is rough turned, rough ground, heat treated and then centerless finish ground. They are a quality pin.

Why do we not recommend KNS pins? One is that they are the wrong size. Can the smaller diameter pins work? Yes, but they are not the intended size and there can be a 'softer" break to the 2nd stage with them.

But the biggest reason is that the KNS pins are soft. Sometimes when they are installed they pull up a burr that causes havoc with trigger operation. I get calls from frustrated customers where they are totally disappointed in their SSA because it either feels terrible or it hangs up. I spend all kinds of time on the phone wracking my brain trying to figure out what is going on and trying to work the customer through the problem. Finally, I ask the customer to send the trigger in (which I hate to inconvenience the customer with) and the issue is that the KNS pins are jamming the trigger up.

A hammer or trigger pin that rotates maybe 1/8 of a turn with each shot, *might* wear through the hard anodizing after a million rounds.

Let it rotate, it doesn't matter, its nothing to worry about. More FCG holes are damaged by people swapping the pins out every other week in an attempt to fix something that isnt broke, to get them to stop rotating.

Steve

Thats crazy, I'll keep an eye out for it. Still have a couple extra trigger groups around so if it becomes an issue I'll pull and replace. In the mean time I'll leave it as is just due to the fact that I got the opposite reaction from the customers in the article.

• 2 months later...

VERY weird. I have no idea why aside from VERY tight machining, the KNS pins are a touch thinner (obviously since they slide in and out of the receiver) But its weird to think that its that detremental.

KNS's LPK components are also fantastic.

Check out their stainless steel safety detent as an example. That sucker has an awesome engagement on BAD ASSelectors