My Bullpup build

I know some people are probably wondering why I did not cover the Receiver, or encase the complete Gun like a lot of other Bullpups out there. I kept the design simple where you could still easily get the dust cover off, if you were out in the elements, without using tools. Also I wanted to still be able to see the AK designed Receiver. If I wanted to make a new Gun I would completely design a new Receiver, and not incase it in Polimer. Keep it simple, and operational. Thanks for all the great feedback.

Please don't camo it. Camo is the to guns what a garage applied racer stripe is to a Honda Civic.

It looks lovely and like it came out of a better factory. Even a good camo job says, " I made this out of bondo in my garage."

beaten.gif owch.

Already then. I definately will not camo my Gun.

Heh, I said that as I put a lot of time and effort(and money) into a gun and did Camo it...

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I built a drop in Trigger using the old Trigger, Trigger Pin and stock Spring when I did the conversion. I decided to use the cable system to activate the Trigger mechanism, Grip is from a Yugoslavi

Tell you what. I will try to pump these things out at Home shopping network price if the demand calls for them.

That's easily the best looking Kalashnikov based pup I have seen. Nice work.

Posted Images

Oh there are some camo jobs that look ok or even good. Sergi's comes to mind. They are the exception though. Mostly it seems like they are trying too hard.

The other thing is I used to play a lot of paintball and my experience was that a lot of solid colors stood out less against most backgrounds than slightly wrong camo did. Old army camo was bad almost everywhere, and the desert storm type was terrible even out in the sage brush. The new digital wasn't a lot better in the woods either. My point is mostly that it often looks ugly, and just as often fails at the intended purpose. I find it funny how many guys in their fifties make fun of guys in their 20's for the black rails all over their guns, and they have camo over all of their own. Same thing different era.

Nailbomb-- Your build is cool, and the camo is well done. Your skeleton stock matches the style of the weapon, and doesn't go over the top. It was more to my taste before you camo'd it, but it still looks ok to me. It looks like it was done by a shop, not some guy with 3 cans of spraypaint in his garage. (Those always end up getting partly scuffed off and look all the worse.)You make your gun how it makes you happy and don't take crap from anyone else about how it looks. There is certainly plenty of room to mock how my IZ-109 looked for the last year or so. It is getting closer to how I want it, but it is a long way from polished. (It needs: Drilling/ contouring on the PG, a bracket fabricated for the stock, strip/ stain seal of the furniture, and a repaint of the whole thing) There's a reason I haven't posted mine in the picture thread. My other one, the 108, looks clean, but not exceptional.

The OP's pup has simple clean aesthetics which would be cluttered by camo. Somewhat glossy black shows off the good lines and that it is simple.e

Edited by GunFun

It looks much cleaner than the KVar/Century bullpup kit, and isn't a mall-ninja POS like the CBRPS chassis'. I have a couple suggestions though:

-Rails: As the forearm is decidedly proprietary you need to modify it to have some mounting points for rail segments, especially to mount a VFG seeing as how your grip involves touching the barrel.

-Sights: Arguably this is one of the few places where a scoutscope mount would *not* suck in terms of cheekweld, and Ultimaks cook EOtechs and Aimpoint clones. Additionally, people my like having BUIS. I think that perhaps an Ultimak with a long rail that cantilevers back over the rear sight and extends forward, maybe anchoring to the original front sight post.

-Reinforced dust cover: Peeps are worried about bullpups and kabooms next to their melons. The AUG uses a thick layer of plastic. The RFB has 2mm of steel. You need a way of protecting the user from potential out of battery detonations. Perhaps a dust cover with a few layers of kevlar weave epoxied on top, or something similar.

This is not meant to be confrontational, but how many times have you seen a dust cover blown off of an AK-pattern rifle during firing?

It is one of those things that does happen(regardless of how rarely) and not takeing steps to limit potential damage could land you in the hospital or court if you're selling the kit.

If you watch the Youtube vids in slow motion/stop frame, you'll notice that most of the time it's the dustcover being pushed back and the front raiseing up away from the barrel. A simple tab about an ich or so back and over the top of the shroud is usually enough.

Worst case scenarioes tend to have the bolt carrier and all fly back past the end of the receiver. Into your face if shooting normally, into your shoulder if shooting bullpupped. And iirc, it tends to happen on the cheaper/lighter built AKs.

Some form of safety add on is just good policy. Imho.

Thank you for answering my question. Not many people do it calmly anymore.

Sorry, i forgot about this thread. laugh.png

My concern was more shrapnel perforating the dust cover, and resultantly, piercing the skin on one's face. Thus the suggestion of a replacement dust cover with a couple layers of kevlar applied. The Poles had an issue with the dust cover blowing off when using rifle grenades on the Tantal, and they fixed it with an extended locking tab on the recoil spring guide. Rip-off that mechanism, and use it in conjuntion with the kevlar-reinforced dust cover, and the problem is fixed while still maintaining inherently-kalashnikov looks and disassembly.

Safety wouldn't have to be complicated either. A modified AR-15 piece would work, actually. Have the AR-15 safety interlock with cutout in the transfer bar. When the safety is applied, the cam on the AR safety interferes in the notch on the transfer bar and prevents it from moving. When the safety is taken off, the cam moves out of the notch and the rod may move freely. One would have to construct the housing, but it would use standard AR-15 safety assembly, detent, and detent spring, so no proprietary parts.

Edited by The Glorious Tachikoma
  • 3 weeks later...

Absolutely beautiful. My wedding anniversary is coming up and wife wife wants to know what I want. I know what I want now. If you can't fund it, some company would surely buy the plans. I'll promote the crap out of that thing on my site if you get a production model up and running!

I'll camo the crap out of it too! lol

This is better than the Russian Bull Pup! How did you re-mold the hand guard?

Did a lot of sketches at first to see what shape would look good. Once I found the shape I wanted to create, I used Wood, Bondo, and Epoxy to shape it the way I wanted to. This way I could get a working prototype, before anything is finalized. It took lots of time to shape this thing. The drop in Trigger system had to be welded, and the housing bent, holes drilled for everything to fit together.

Edited by Sumsky
  • 3 weeks later...

i had to redesign the drop in trigger housing. The first on was too big. I finally had time to cut, bend, and create a new housing that would fit between the Barrel and the Handguard. That was a lot of F_ _ _ _ WORK. not much space between there. I also re worked the Buttstock, and added Rails Hopefully my next update will be a test video. This is a prototype, work still in progress.

post-22569-0-77325600-1330887728_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sumsky
  • Like 1

How did you connect the front trigger with the rear assembly? it's all internal and being i'm ignorant to bullpup design in general figured i'd ask. Looks fantastic only thing i'd suggest for the cheekweld is to have some sort of heat shield on the cover with padding. Metal to face is not usually the most comfortable feeling. Now if only it were in Red :lol: keep up the good work nice add with the rails. Any chance of having a top rails over the gas tube for red dot or acog?

How did you connect the front trigger with the rear assembly? it's all internal and being i'm ignorant to bullpup design in general figured i'd ask. Looks fantastic only thing i'd suggest for the cheekweld is to have some sort of heat shield on the cover with padding. Metal to face is not usually the most comfortable feeling. Now if only it were in Red laugh.png keep up the good work nice add with the rails. Any chance of having a top rails over the gas tube for red dot or acog?

The front Trigger is connected by a cable, with a little extra secret touch. My brain is working overtime on the Cover for the top of the Receiver, think I might have a design that will be able to be removed with ease for maintenance out in the woods or in the trenches if need be. As for Rails A UltiMac Rail on the Gas Tube would work.A company also sells a attachment for the Rare Sight Block which will take any type of Reflex type sight.

Edited by Sumsky

Here is a comparison picture next to my AKS-74U Krink. By making your Rifle into a Bullpup, you save $200 in tax stamp, you keep the 16 inch Barrel, and have a great CQB Weapon. The Bullpup is exactly 26 inches. My Krink is a itsy bit under 29 inches.

post-22569-0-52706900-1330909731_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sumsky

how much does it weigh naked just curious

I will have to weigh it next time I take it apart.

For those that were inquiring about how sights willl be attached. I was thinking about either a Samson Rail, or a Scout Rail, both are attached on the rare sight block, I could also use a UltiMac Gas Tube Rail. So I have three options. Still deciding.

Edited by Sumsky

How did you connect the front trigger with the rear assembly? it's all internal and being i'm ignorant to bullpup design in general figured i'd ask. Looks fantastic only thing i'd suggest for the cheekweld is to have some sort of heat shield on the cover with padding. Metal to face is not usually the most comfortable feeling. Now if only it were in Red laugh.png keep up the good work nice add with the rails. Any chance of having a top rails over the gas tube for red dot or acog?

The front Trigger is connected by a cable, with a little extra secret touch. My brain is working overtime on the Cover for the top of the Receiver, think I might have a design that will be able to be removed with ease for maintenance out in the woods or in the trenches if need be. As for Rails A UltiMac Rail on the Gas Tube would work.A company also sells a attachment for the Rare Sight Block which will take any type of Reflex type sight.

A secret? there's no secret here you can't share with us. promise. :D anyways have to shot it yet in the configuration ? hows the accuracy?

A secret? there's no secret here you can't share with us. promise. biggrin.png anyways have to shot it yet in the configuration ? hows the accuracy?

I did not shoot it as yet as a Bullpup. Test firing this baby will be my next step.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...