Bulgarian trigger guard on saiga 5.45?

Can I put this on my Saiga IZ 240? If so then how? The end where the pistol grip would go is curved down and has no hole that I can see. Also how do you put on the pistol grip if you do not use one of the trigger guards that has the mount for the trigger guard?

here is the picture of the picture of the bulgarian trigger guard

Bulg%20AK74%20Trigger%20Guard.jpg

This is my first conversion any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks -Jon

Looks like that one needs riveted on. Got a press and jig? The bolt on ones are convenient and there are a few threads about reusing the original one.

The pistol grip nut hole is already cut in your receiver. Its under the plate you cut off. S12's are different.

Keep reading in here and checking out the tutorials on CSS website etc.

Here's a few links of one I did recently.

http://forum.saiga-1...__fromsearch__1

Thanks NMO, you've seemed to be a big help for me so far! I plan on buying a press, and i know i can reuse it or buy and aftermarket one but I really want the authentic look where the trigger guard goes up into the the magazine catch. not where its on the outside of it.

I know its not a big deal but after realizing it now it bothers me. Haha I know I know I can't help it.

I actually want to rivet it because it'll look better as well, but NMO what do you make out of the curved end on it? why wouldn't it be flat?

Help is much appreciated.

and tomorrow or monday I'm gonna post some pictures on this thread of what I got goin so far if you wanna see.

Edited by jweezyadig

Wow how the hell do I put a picture on here that's not from the internet, and not from a external camera or scanner? It's ridiculous that I can't just go int o my documents and put a picture in here that i took with my laptop. I put it in an email and copied the url thing and the image showed up in here but when I sent it it just shows up as this

webkit-fake-url://2F066896-D2EF-4262-87B2-CCD114CBC305/image.tiff

Edited by jweezyadig

I use photobucket or the gallery in here so the pictures show up full size. When done from my documents it is usually shows up as a thumbnail that gets bigger when you click on it.

I do turn down the dpi and size to make them web friendly. Your file is a tiff...could be just too big?

I'm guessing the rear of the trigger guard is curved because the whole thing is a cutoff from some kit. Who ever did it probably drill out the front rivets and tried prying the rear off. Just put it on a vice and hammer it straight(lol twss). I usually have to bend the bulgarian ones in some shape or form anyway. Depends on whether they came from a rifle that had or did not have a pistol grip reinforcement plate and if the rifle they are going to matches or not.

I've used bulgarian trigger guards for saiga's before(5.45, and 7.62). They line up slightly different than the rusky one. If you rivet it on as-is there will be a small amount of material of the mag latch/trigger guard extending out past where the receiver stops and the hole for the mag starts. If that doesn't make sense ask... Can't figure out a great way to explain that. The bulgarian mag latch/trigger guard is longer...

Also, the sides of the piece, where there are two rivets on each side, are wider and square. The rusky is slimmer, the edges are more rounded, and the left side curves in at the middle. So if you are looking downward on the piece it looks like boobs.

So again if you rivet it on as-is it's outline won't match the safetly lever stop plate that you rivet between the trigger guard and receiver. Mostly just a cosmetic thing but it's another corner to snag stuff on.

The solution? Lots of hand filing... Use the mag latch that came with the rifle as a guide. Bolt them together(AND MAKE SURE THE HINGE FOR THE LEVER IS IN THE SAME POSITION IN RELATION TO ONE ANOTHER) then file the bulgarian one till its footprint matches the rusky one.

If you are going to rivet it yourself go over to akfiles.com. You'll need a rivet jig. Believe its akmachinest that makes/sells them. Might be other options there.

Edited by jamesavery22

It might be easier for you to modify the existing trigger guard to match at Bulgarian that you posted a photo of. This is what I did. I can weld, but riveting is something that I don't want to tackle. So I took the existing trigger guard, once removed from the original cover plate and flipped it end for end. The old back becomes the front and the old front becomes the back. I then sliced off most of what would be the new front using a Dremel slicing wheel at the lower part of the bend. Then I welded it to the mag release block. Once welded, then grind/sand/finish the weld connection and you are left with a smooth finish and a trigger guard that is about a 99% match to what you posted a photo of and you don't have to mess with rivets.

If the OP already wanted to play with pressing rivets I'd encourage him. Riveting plays a large role in building any AK pattern rifle. Welding not so much. Of course welding comes in VERY handy when you want to make custom pieces.

For a bone cheap Saiga conversion one could always go the easy route, drill a hole under the mag catch, and screw down the hacked up Saiga trigger guard. The OP sounds like he wants to go the extra mile instead. I'll always encourage that.

Hey thanks a lot guys for the input as I am somewhat lost. I am putting a lot of money down for anything AUTHENTIC and I want it to look right. James what is a rusky trigger guard? Do you mean a russian one? Cause I can't find one other than in a parts kit which I want but can't afford at the moment. I like the ones that come without the hole drilled for the mag catch but feel like i'd screw the hole up.

I don't care to use the bulgarian one but that's all I could find at the moment. If you know where to get a different one please do tell. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks again guys.

Oh and I'm buying a press sometime soon and I'm planning on getting a jig and i am a member at AKfiles but can never get on the damn website!

I've looked everywhere. I have real AK-74 laminate wood hand guard coming tomorrow with a real AK-74 bakelite grip, real 74 gas tube and an Izhmash 30 round bakelite magazine coming but can not find a trigger guard for sale anywhere. Do you think a polish tantal, or east german or romanian any other would match up??

Thanks for the help sir. This is really beginning to be a pain..