308 Case Denting Fix

Went to the range today with a couple of friends.My 308 or any Saiga shooting reloadable brass caseslikes to dent the cases . I tried a couple of things one was to put on an AK74 Bugarian top cover that has rolled sheetmetal around the ejection port. That worked a little better but was still getting dents. Then I found somewhere on a forum that a Valmet ejection port buffer also fits Saiga and most AK's for that matter. It's a clip with a piece of rubber clipped on and it slides onto the top cover at the rear of the ejection port. All I can say is a shot a heck of a lot of rounds and all my brass was undented..... The Valmet Ejection Port Buffer is spendy at near 40 bucks plus shipping but it does a great job keeping the brass from getting dented.

RTG has them, google is your friend

Edited by LtDan
  • Like 1

I have never gotten car molding to stay on more than a few rounds. I've even tried super glue and JB weld on different occasions and it didn't make any difference (this was with the factory cover). I've got a TWS rail now, which is too thick to work with the Valmet ejection buffer (I tried). Fortunately, the dents left by the cover don't seem to hurt anything, unlike the ones left by the 3rd lug. I probably lose 5-10% of my recovered cases to that one.

Mine gets dented in the magazine, by the bolt. It's that damned lug.

I believe there is a cure for that. Something about filing the edge of the lug. You should be able to search it.

BTW, is that an authentic first gen phaser in your avatar? Not that I would know the difference, of course.

BTW again. I have a lazy ejector so mine doesn't ding the brass much.

I have never gotten car molding to stay on more than a few rounds. I've even tried super glue and JB weld on different occasions and it didn't make any difference (this was with the factory cover). I've got a TWS rail now, which is too thick to work with the Valmet ejection buffer (I tried). Fortunately, the dents left by the cover don't seem to hurt anything, unlike the ones left by the 3rd lug. I probably lose 5-10% of my recovered cases to that one.

You do know there are a few different kinds of molding and if you get the right one it holds just fine. Take the cover into the car parts place to check it.

No third lug issues since polishing that damned bolt.

MMMMMMMMM visiuals

Much better to see it on the rifle than by itself, for sure!!! Does it get rid of case dents?

Thanks!

Went to the range today with a couple of friends.My 308 or any Saiga shooting reloadable brass caseslikes to dent the cases . I tried a couple of things one was to put on an AK74 Bugarian top cover that has rolled sheetmetal around the ejection port. That worked a little better but was still getting dents. Then I found somewhere on a forum that a Valmet ejection port buffer also fits Saiga and most AK's for that matter. It's a clip with a piece of rubber clipped on and it slides onto the top cover at the rear of the ejection port. All I can say is a shot a heck of a lot of rounds and all my brass was undented..... The Valmet Ejection Port Buffer is spendy at near 40 bucks plus shipping but it does a great job keeping the brass from getting dented.

RTG has them, google is your friend

You do know there are a few different kinds of molding and if you get the right one it holds just fine. Take the cover into the car parts place to check it.

No third lug issues since polishing that damned bolt.

I'm not that worried about the dents from the cover, and I'll eventually polish the 3rd lug on the bolt a little. I don't want to get too carried away with that though, so if I have to live with the occasional ruined case, so be it.

Tacticooltim, please define a "lazy ejector"?

Well, it simply doesn't spit the brass out more than a few feet (4 or 5 max) and never has. I saw a video here several months back where someone else had the same problem/issue with the 308. I believe the cure is supposed to be increasing gas flow but I really don't see it as that big a deal. Seeing as how I'm lazy too, I don't mind not having to chase brass. Someone mentioned that if they were using one for self defense rather than just range work that they would prefer stronger ejection. That makes sense, but mine is strictly a range gun and besides that has never had any failures to feed, fire, or eject, so I'm happy.

Mine gets dented in the magazine, by the bolt. It's that damned lug.

I polished my lower bolt lug forward facing surfaces with a dremel and craytex wheel it has stopped gouging my brass. You can feel a lot of roughness near the retainer pin holes smooth them out..

Well, it simply doesn't spit the brass out more than a few feet (4 or 5 max) and never has. I saw a video here several months back where someone else had the same problem/issue with the 308. I believe the cure is supposed to be increasing gas flow but I really don't see it as that big a deal. Seeing as how I'm lazy too, I don't mind not having to chase brass. Someone mentioned that if they were using one for self defense rather than just range work that they would prefer stronger ejection. That makes sense, but mine is strictly a range gun and besides that has never had any failures to feed, fire, or eject, so I'm happy.

Mine had a lazy ejecter and I found a write up on how to file the ejecter that becomes lazy from wear and now it chunks them 10/12 ft

Mine had a lazy ejecter and I found a write up on how to file the ejecter that becomes lazy from wear and now it chunks them 10/12 ft

Thanks for the information, but mine came that way from the factory so I guess they screwed it up there. I only have 300 rounds through it so it can't be a wear issue. Still, your info is probably applicable to it.

I remember seeing something about modifying the ejector on a 223 so that it wouldn't eject as violently and ding the brass up so badly. Sounds like your solution is just the same, only opposite. LOL. I believe he said that the further out from the center of the shell that the ejector hits, the more vigorously it spins/spits the empty. That makes sense. I do know that if I try it on either one I'm not going to modify it much before test firing. It would suck to end up with a lazy 223 and a hyperactive 308.