New to Saiga...Just as new to the AK platform...

About a month ago I was in the local gun shop looking for a new toy to blow the cash that I had burning a hole in pocket and I got talked into a Saiga .223. I didn't buy it right then but went home and did a bit of search and ran across this forum. After about 10 minutes I knew it was the right choice and went back and bought it. I got a pretty good deal from the shop so I'm happy.

I've shot it a couple times with some buddies and love the way it feels when it shoots, but I haven't even tried to sight it in because I knew I was going to convert it and get some kind of optic to put on top.

Well, this week I went hog wild and spent far more on conversion parts than I did on the rifle. cool.png Some might give me hell for it, but I'm all about the tacticool and purchased accordingly. Nothing too over the top and useless, but I did order parts based on color for what it matters.

I won't put your guys to sleep with pictures of the stock rifle in the box for now. The parts should be here later this week and I will be making the conversion over the weekend so I will post pictures then. This thread is more to say thank you. A huge thank you for all of the help and tips I have received, even as a lurker, on what to buy, what not to buy, where to buy, and overall, a great knowledge basis for me to learn the AK platform.

Oh yes...

I picked out my optics...kinda...sorta...

I went to another local shop and talked to a guy that I shoot IDPA with to get his opinion. He shoots the local three gun matches and that's why I'm building this carbine so I wanted to know what he thought. I got talked into buying a 2-8 Nikon .223 Nikoplex scope. I'm an all out Nikon man when it comes to my bolt guns so it was a pretty easy choice on which brand of scope I wanted to get. Problem was I didn't know fully if I wanted a scope or a RDS setup. After going to that shop and buying a scope decided to go to Sportsmans to look for some magpul swag I want. I didn't find that, but I did find that they had the NIkon Monarch VSD for about 60 bucks off the normal price. Needless to say I bought it too so I will be trying both optics out after this weekends conversion.

I wish I made money as easy as it is to spend it...

You're at the right place.

Congrats on your selection of the weapon and gear.

Don't put your wallet far away: fun just started (lol).

You will find wealth of information in here.

My advise: take it slow; one step at the time.

Look through the conversion and picture threads; that could give you some good ideas.

Ask questions, post comments, read feedbacks.

Have fun,

Happy Shooting!

Converting the Saiga is about as easy as you can get. I did my conversion, modified the stock hand guard, and changed out my rear sight to a Krebs in about four hours. The conversion itself only took me less than two. Make sure to add pics to the conversion section so we can all take a look at it.

I will post up some pictures tonight or in the morning when I get it finished up. My forearm showed up last night and I got it put on. UPS driver didn't make it to my house until 9pm. I sure hope he makes it sooner than that tonight...I'm damn excited to get it finished up. I've been holding out on pictures until it was completed. :)

Converting the Saiga is about as easy as you can get.

If you have the right tools!

Every newbie should get a dremel and a drill, at the very least. Saves lots of pain.

I agree the right tools always make the job easier. Most guys own a drill. If they don't they should consider turning in their man card. big_smile.gif

Does anyone have a .223 TAT they could measure the bore end with a micrometer and let me know the size?

Got my TAT out. My measurement is 5.5mm or .210 inches.

So just slightly smaller than 5.56 or .223.

Hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Will a brake made for the .308 caliber work on a .223 rifle? Would installing one with the larger ID for the .308 on my rifle degrade it's performance?

I'm working on getting some pictures up, but I kinda wanted to have it finished before I did. I'm just waiting on my die to come in from Dinzag and it will be all finished.

I emailed PWS the other day asking about the FSC47 brake and how it will work on this rifle with the smaller caliber and they said it wouldn't have any noticeable difference so I ordered one today. Hopefully Dinzag gets my die shipped out soon so I can thread the barrel and complete by build.

I want to post some pictures!

I like it a lot so far. It fits well and looks great. I haven't sighted in the rifle yet, because I'm still waiting for my die to show up from Dinzag. Once I get my muzzle brake put on I will get it sighted in and let you know how well it holds a zero. I'm confident it will work great since it fits so well.

Another AR-ish conversion... good!

Why not: this is America.

Speaking of die set: PM me once finished.

I'll buy it from you, if you want to sell it.

I consider installing JTAC47 on mine.

Not to steal your thread or "piggyback" on it: this is what I have (finishing installing Primary Arms 1-4x on modified VOMZ mount today):

http://forum.saiga-1...__fromsearch__1

Edited by Sgt. Raven
  • Like 1

Sgt. I'm definitely not an AK purist, and I love ARs so this build was right to my liking.

I'm not sure if I will be selling my die and TATs or not yet. I have a couple buddies that really seem to like my rifle so I kinda expect at least one of them to buy one and start their own build. I will keep you posted though if I do decide to sell.