The search is your friend. :)

From another forum:

Just got a case of the Tula 124 gr HP (guy who ordered it at the base Rod & Gun club decided he didn't want, so I helped out the manager, not that I really wanted it.)

Get home, open one up - it's made in Uly. So it may well be 8M3. Not sure how I tell, without getting a bullet puller and a dremel tool.

Another forum:

Well, assuming you can believe it, it says that right on the back of box. (The headstamp is just TulAmmo, then 7.62x39, and then some symbol. Not sure what that means, maybe it's a symbol for Uly?)

Manufacturer: OJSC "The Ulyanovsk Cartridge Works"

Apparenty Tula and Uly are both in private hands, and both of their imports to the US are under the TulAmmo brand. (Assuming the marketing materials on a ammo-selling website can be believed.)

I'd post the link, but don't know if that would fall afould of the linking rules. (AFAIK, OST doesn't sell bulk ammo, so probably not?)

Another forum:

If it is a 124 gr. bullet, it probably is. Remember, that is the hollow point bullet. Also, in the 8M3 nose, the outer jacket has slits. Not visible

but using a sharp needle you can place inside, rotate and faintly feel the slits.Best I can give you for now.

Another forum:

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/7505/dscn0956b.jpg

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/8803/dscn09600.jpg

Pictures of 2006 vs. 2010 Wolf Military Classic. OP claimed he still felt the cuts in the 2010. He shot the 2010 into some kind of ballistic media and it expanded more than fragmented. He theorized the expansion may be due to the changes in the heel/jacket..

Another forum:

Based on Skid's response I went ahead and picked up a couple of hundred rounds of the Tula 124 grain hollow points from sportsman's guide. They arrived today and I compared the newly arrived ammo with the old Wolf Military Classic Hollow Point (with 8m3 bullet) and the WPA Military Classic Hollow Point. I believe we have a winner.

The Tula 124 grn HP has a noticeably larger opening than the WPA HP, and when compared to the old WMC HP the new ammo from Tula appears to have the same size opening while the ammo from WPA clearly has a smaller opening. Also the ammo from WPA was a least a little bit longer than the old WMC HP, while the new ammo from Tula appears to be the same length as the old WMC HP. So externally the new ammo from Tula and the old Wolf Military Classic Ammo with the 8m3 bullet appear to be the same. Again running a pin around the inside of the hollow point cavity I thought I could feel the notches which would indicate it was the 8m3.

Of course I would love to see someone with more expertise than me look into it, but unless someone comes along to disprove my conclusions I think Tula 124 grain HP is the new source for the 8m3. I'll be keeping my eye out for a good deal on it and putting a couple of cases away.

• Like 1

I will not be buying WPA Military Classic 7.62x39 124G HP any time soon. The Tulammo 124gr HP is my replacement.

To be candid, It will be a while before I purchase any WPA product.

With their lack of candor about the change in the 124G HP product and elimination of the 8M3 bullet without disclosure, It will make me much more anxious about the value in any of their offerings.

Caveat Emptor.

Edited by Mikey

Unfortunately I'm trying to confirm the same things.

From what I read the TulAmmo 124gr HP is our best shot.

I emailed Wideners about their WPA MC 124gr HP, they told me it was NOT loaded with the 8m3. That would seem to indicate that we can no longer go on the "if its 124gr HP its 8m3" adage.

I have read elsewhere that the TulAmmo 122gr more so than ever resembles (not identical) the 124gr 8m3, which I find is odd as heck. But it MAY perform similar - we need somebody to test that as well.

Things sure got confusing in a hurry for 8m3 fans. Its gotta be out there somewhere.

Agreed and bump, I hope others will help out more in securing a positive new source for 8m3.

regards,

Stealth

PS "8m3" search in Saiga-12.com doesn't work.

Edited by stealth

yeah i have tried that search also... yeah i have herd the rumors of the 122 gr are possibly 8m3. i have a big gun show to go to this weekend, indy 1500 gun and knife show.. i am hopeing to find out there but ususally all the vendors there have no idea about the ammo or products they sell. i will continue the search for the badass bullet since i have no in my stash... thanks for the help.....

Unfortunately I'm trying to confirm the same things.

From what I read the TulAmmo 124gr HP is our best shot.

I emailed Wideners about their WPA MC 124gr HP, they told me it was NOT loaded with the 8m3. That would seem to indicate that we can no longer go on the "if its 124gr HP its 8m3" adage.

I have read elsewhere that the TulAmmo 122gr more so than ever resembles (not identical) the 124gr 8m3, which I find is odd as heck. But it MAY perform similar - we need somebody to test that as well.

Things sure got confusing in a hurry for 8m3 fans. Its gotta be out there somewhere.

Agreed and bump, I hope others will help out more in securing a positive new source for 8m3.

regards,

Stealth

PS "8m3" search in Saiga-12.com doesn't work.

Due to it being 2 gr less than the 124 8m3, it might be a lil more linear in trajectory, which is always nice.

and I have a feeling I've came across that in my scouring.

Thank you for your work.

What did you use? a kinetic puller, vise and dremel tool?

I put it in my reloading press and locked the bullets with vice grips and then opened them up to see the three pre-cuts on the jacket with a chisel and hammer. The bullets were identical in shape and size. The depth of the lead core was the same, as were the fore-mentioned pre cuts.

Additionally the packaging was labeled that they were both made in the Uly factory.

Here are pics of the TulAmmo 124 cut open...

post-4669-0-47758900-1326254585_thumb.jpg

Note: I didn't get the Wolf Military Classic until a few weeks after at the gunshow (why it's not in the pic) but in the 7.62x39 forum here there is a thread with several photos of the 8M3.

http://forum.saiga-1...ary-classic-hp/

or

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/71252-sapson-brand-ammo-124gr-hp/page__p__692033__hl__sapsan__fromsearch__1&do=findComment&comment=692033

you did feel the groves on the inside of the hp?

Yes, as stated before.

You don't get the sealed primers and bullets though... There is no red lacquer for long term storage. The bullets were the same both visually and with a paper clip test to feel the grooves or pre-cuts when I opened them up.

and I have a feeling I've came across that in my scouring.

Thank you for your work.

What did you use? a kinetic puller, vise and dremel tool?

I put it in my reloading press and locked the bullets with vice grips and then opened them up to see the three pre-cuts on the jacket with a chisel and hammer. The bullets were identical in shape and size. The depth of the lead core was the same, as were the fore-mentioned pre cuts.

Additionally the packaging was labeled that they were both made in the Uly factory.

Here are pics of the TulAmmo 124 cut open...

post-4669-0-47758900-1326254585_thumb.jpg

Note: I didn't get the Wolf Military Classic until a few weeks after at the gunshow (why it's not in the pic) but in the 7.62x39 forum here there is a thread with several photos of the 8M3.

http://forum.saiga-1...ary-classic-hp/

or

http://forum.saiga-1...__1#entry692033

I lucked up back when the ammo was sky-high! I had ordered 1000 rounds of FMJ through Sportsmans Guide and it kept getting pushed back over and over, so I called to cancel the order, and the salesperson that I got on the phone was a shooter himself, and even though it wasn't listed, they had several thousand rounds in stock...I got 1000 rounds for $208, shipping included. Didn't realise that it was the 8m3 until it arrived....boy, was I a happy camper!! Hangin on to that and using up the FMJ in stock for plinking.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll just pile on to say that the 124 gr. HP from TULAMMO has the 3 pre-fracture grooves inside. I grabbed a handful and did the sharp needle thing and then visually verified with a loupe and bright light. 8M3, good to go...

Edited by John U.
  • 11 months later...