Gas Tube Differences

I want to put an upper handguard on my IZ-132, and I don't know which gas tubes will fit it. AK 47, AK 74, or AKM? What are the differences between them?

Differences can be difficult to describe. I've had a few that were significantly different. An AK-74 tube should work fine on any Saiga medium caliber rifle though.

All AK47, AKM, and AK74 gas tubes interchange, EXCEPT Yugo M70s and AMD-65s. I am not sure about Polish Polish Tantals. I used a Chinese type 56 AK47 vented tube on my current one, though I have used East German and Romanian on other Saiga builds.

• Like 1

I had to do a little filing on the AKM tube (probably Romanian) I ordered, to get the latch to close, but it works and fits fine on my IZ-240.

Most parts on stamped AKs appear interchangeable, with minor fitting. That's the beauty of the design, regardless of country of origin.

Keep an eye on barrel diameters though.

Just my cents.

Edited by Sim_Player

The gas blocks look different between some AK47's, AK74's and AKM's. Vent angle and all that. Looks to me like the gas tube lengths are different. And the vent holes look different too. I just want to know which ones will fit my Saiga.

An AK74 tube will work well. One problem with old AK47 surplus tubes is that many of them lack the spring that removes all front and back movement and rattling.

If you want to pay for a brand new gas tube that will be guaranteed to fit medium caliber Saiga rifles, get this one from K-Var:

http://www.k-var.com...&cat=293&page=1

It's the same as the one they put on their SGL (Saiga) rifles.

Edited by Jim Digriz
  • 3 years later...

Should fit, but you will need a bolt-on retainer for the LHG. The gas tube may or may not require hand fitting, you won't know until you put it on the rifle.

Hey thanks! The only problem I foresee is the difference in how those Hungarians are secured with the little knobbies on the retainers and curved edges what have you. I don't want the lower hg riding up, not sure how all that works...I'm a little lost here.

Newer AK74 type rifles have an upper lip on the retainer to keep the front of the LHG from moving up, but I don't believe the common Saiga bolt-on retainers have this lip. Usually you keep the LHG from moving by just having a good tight tension fit, as well as having a cleaning rod installed. IF you install the retainer tightly, the LHG probably won't move at all.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone ever removed the heat shield off of the factory gas tube?

I have to do some modification.

post-50366-0-13206300-1433207586_thumb.jpg Sorry, I mean, I removed it to modify it. Popped the four welds with a screwdriver. Put it back on with jb weld. Holding up fine so far.

Edited by RedRhino