Sup you all. I need you guys/girls suggestion. I am thinking about an ACE stock on my Saiga 12 and it will end up having a forward grip on the hand guard so....

1....would the 7.5”, 8.5” or 9.5” stock be best?

1. Since we are at it, I am also planing on placing a push button folding mechanism. I think ACE makes one as well. So does any one have any experience with the push button or another one that works great?

2. Is there any play that I should be concerned about or longevity issues with push buttons?

I went down the middle of the road and chose the 8.5" one. Mine requires the stock to be moved up and down to fold, not push button, so no info there. After a couple of years there is a tiny bit of play in mine.

I have heard that there are other brands that are "More solid" but I have been happy with the ace folder.

Not sure if the 7.5" folds all the way with a drum loaded, mine does not.

I went down the middle of the road and chose the 8.5" one. Mine requires the stock to be moved up and down to fold, not push button, so no info there. After a couple of years there is a tiny bit of play in mine.

I have heard that there are other brands that are "More solid" but I have been happy with the ace folder.

Not sure if the 7.5" folds all the way with a drum loaded, mine does not.

I see. Since I am new to the Saiga world (AK platform in general ), what other brands are also a good choice or "more solid"?

The alternative brand of folding mechanism is Stormwerkz. I think they only make a non push button model, but it has a good reputaion.

As for stock length I would actually choose the 7.5. It is a matter of personal preference. Especially if you plan to add a recoil pad, which I think everyone should.

@GunFun There pieces look great. Hmmmm....I am tempted to go non push button now that I think of it. I am thinking ease of use. A push button would require two action with two different body parts. One, to push the button and Two, to move the stock after pushing the button Vs. a non push button which can be done with one hand to do disengage and move the stock to the side.

@RobRez Sorry, I have a follow up question for you if you dont mind. Since you got the 8.5" ACE stock, would say you are happy with it or would you have chosen another size if you had a second chance?

I always folded/ opened the push button butler creek stocks in one motion with one hand. The press and pivot is the same movement. Couldn't be smoother.

Would you say you would prefer the sturdiness of a fixed (or collapsible) stock vs possible (even minimal) wobble of a folding one? I have seen reviews that a folding one will have wobble not matter what and that going to folding is a comprise. What would be youre opinion?

I would have a folding stock on nearly every long gun. It just makes the gun more convenient to take with you. If an adjustable cheek riser came with it, that would be perfect. I grew up with the pest control gun nearby. Having the folder meant it could be close to hand and out of the way at the same time. I could fire folded if needed better than I care to claim. However, I learned to pick it up open the stock and shoulder it in a continuous flow, so there was a never really a need to do so. This has caused me to have the philosophy that the best gun isn't the top performer, it is the one you will have with you. If the gun with you is also high performance, that's just gravy.

In the case of my s-12s, One has a fixed warsaw length wood bulgarian stock, which will stay that way because it is a pretty safe queen, and anyone I might sell it to won't care.

My other one currently has the same furniture that is in process of being altered to work with my Ace pushbutton. I've had the hinge for a long time, but haven't gotten a chance to do it the way I wanted, so it isn't together yet.

Now if I had a .50 BMG or a beanfield gun that only saw the safe and a shooting bench, it is kind of a different story.

I guess the way to best answer that question is how you will use it. If you just leave it in a case and take it back and forth from the range, a folder is extra weight wobble and expense, and you have to cut your tang. If you want something that you can take with you out of sight and out of the way on the boat, truck or farm, a folder is indispensable.

Edited by GunFun

Thank you for the insight GunFun. I was originally thinking of also using this S12 for some frequent range time due to it running inexpensive bird-shot rounds. However, I enjoy this gun so much that I am also now planning of getting a second S12. With that being said, when I am able to purchase a second one, that one will have a folding stock and will be for range purposes and my current one will have a fixed (collapsible) stock for HD purposes. Two guns for two different purposes, I now think that should be the way to go :)

No problem. As with anything else, there are many who disagree with everything I have said vehemently. It is all about how you want your gun. I found that what I thought I wanted and what I actually did want for length were about an inch different.

What I did was assembled the gun with everything except the buttstock. Then I held it as if I had the stock on there where it felt most natural to me when looking down the sight line. I had a friend hold a machinist's square where the buttstock would be and measured both length and drop. Turns out what feels best to me is very short. I think this is worthwhile to anyone who is buying a new stock.

I also factor .5" for a hinge and ~1" for a sissy pad (AKA a smart pad) into the length.

Bend your elbow to 90d then measure from inside your elbow to the first knuckle on you index finger. That's your LOP. Then subtract the distance from the trigger to the end of the receiver. that is the length of the stock you need including the butt pad.

Bend your elbow to 90d then measure from inside your elbow to the first knuckle on you index finger. That's your LOP. Then subtract the distance from the trigger to the end of the receiver. that is the length of the stock you need including the butt pad.

Awsome...thanks.

• Like 1

Thanks

• Like 1