I'm considering buying a high-end 1911. I'd like to get it to use, but also to pass on to my kid when he gets older. Is it worth it to buy a high-end custom 1911 from Les Baer, Ed Brown, or Wilson Combat for these purposes? They're $1900-$2400 for the ones I was checking out. My question is, will these at least HOLD their value? From what I can tell the main reason they're so expensive is the super tight tollerances and craftsmanship/milling/handwork. If these processes get better or more efficient in the next 20-30 years, will the value of my 1911 that I buy today go down? Am I better off buying a mass produced model like a Kimber or Sig or Colt? I like the idea of having a nice, high quality, fairly expensive piece and keeping it for a long time, but dotn like the idea of it losing value every year. Thoughts?

I understand what you’re saying but part of my thinking you’re either buying a gun or a builder’s name. While I don’t think it will happen in 20 – 30 years some of the builders you named may be superseded by some newer better ones a Colt is still a Colt everything else is a clone. Maybe buy a good base gun and have it customized by a big name pistolsmith.

post-26137-0-80903200-1326387205_thumb.jpg

Edited by 20-Mags
  • Like 3

+1000 what 20 mags said!, I have a series 80 gold cup i had customized for competition and do very well and can shoot any ammo. With kimbers or other high end guns you better be willing to buy nothing but top grade ammo, most high end ones dont like the cheeper ammo. Besides nothing beats a colt and they dont go down in value.

Oh yea nice colt 20 mags

If you want something that will hold its value why not look into a an old 1911a1 with a us property mark? You will need to do some research, but whats better than owning and passing down a piece of history? Then also get something on the cheap end you can shoot the hell out of and still pass down. A high end 1911 will have a better finish and of course be fitted perfectly. It will also outshoot a cheap 1911 off a rest but how many people can shoot a 3" group offhand at 50 yards? Will those tight tolerences allow for as much dirt and grime build up?

For $2000 you could have a custom 1911 on Caspian frame/slide with lots of options installed, exactly as you want it, including custom serial number, match barrel, etc. You'd probably pay over $3000 for a commercial gun of same quality. Something to consider.

Oh yea nice colt 20 mags

Thanks but not my gun. I had one years ago (not as slick a finish) that I milled the slide and installed S&W revolver sights on, loved the look of it, but so did someone else who paid dearly for it $$$. I’ve been planning to do it again for years but just too damn lazy and too many other things going on.

Remember that if you shoot several thousand rounds, you are going to lose a chunk of the value from a collector's standpoint if you shoot out any of the original parts.

That said, you can't go wrong from an investment standpoint with a Colt. The collector's market will never go away and you can buy a lightly used one and not feel bad about shooting it.

The semi Custom shops (Wilson, Baer etc.) are for specific tastes as you can get specific textures, colors, sights and other options which may not suit a future collector. They are fantastic guns that are worth the money for competition or the distinguishing shooter, but they won't hold more value than a Colt in my experience in sales similar to your custom furniture/accessories on your Saiga 12 aren't worth what you paid if you ever decide to sell it.

Collectability is based on the availability of the item and when the availability is minimal because they don't make that item or brand anymore means they will continue to become more scarce while the market continues to saturate with more of the semi-custom shops' weapons until they retire, go out of business, change names, etc.

Edited by BuffetDestroyer