What are the mags your Sagia 5.45 run the best with?

I prefer the surplus mags. I never had any problems with them. I pick them up at my local gun store when he gets them in. I pay $25 each. I'm not a big fan of the tapco mags because they just don't fit right. I think it's because they use a plastic catch tab instead of metal, and it seems it never catches right when you put the mag in.

A guy from the gun show was trying to sell me russian surplus mags for $50 each. He said there was a shortage on surplus mags because they stopped importing them. I have yet to confirm that. Has anyone heard or know anything about that?

Picked up a few surplus and unissued ((21))'s back when they were $9-$12. Have a couple nice 45rd Bakelite's too. All run fine.

Most I paid per mag was $30 AGP's for S12. Close second was $27 ((10))'s for 7.62.

Edited by NM0

I've got Izzy plums, Circle 21s, steel Tantals, the factory mag and a 45rd bakelite...they all just as good as the next.To be honest, though, the Tantals are my least favorite to use. You have to be careful about how you insert them into the mag well in order for them to lock right.

Most I paid for a single mag was $68 for the bakelite.

• 1 month later...

just ordered the IZ 340 and was wondering the same thing... I see Polish surp mags are fairly priced... are there any modifications that need to be made to either the mag or the rifle to get them to work correctly? I am going to be putting in a bullet guide, so that variable can be taken out of the equation straight away.

In deep mil surp pouches it makes them easier to pull out. Plus, I can draw a mag from my TACO pouch with one finger if I have to. Magpuls are never a bad idea.

Can somebody tell me why other forums bash Tapco mags, they don't give a reason, and won't give a reason. I have had good luck with my 74 mags so far. Have only read good things on this forum.?????

Can somebody tell me why other forums bash Tapco mags, they don't give a reason, and won't give a reason. I have had good luck with my 74 mags so far. Have only read good things on this forum.?????

They are not reinforced with steel in the locking areas and in the feedlips. Another way of putting it is, they are not as tough as the gun they are used in and thus represent a weak link in the system.

They are not reinforced with steel in the locking areas and in the feedlips. Another way of putting it is, they are not as tough as the gun they are used in and thus represent a weak link in the system.

I used to feel the same way about Glocks, plastic guns, HA! But after thousands of rounds I think different. I guess when the feed lips wear out or break on the Tapcos I'll just use the Polish, if that ever happens.

I used to feel the same way about Glocks, plastic guns, HA! But after thousands of rounds I think different. I guess when the feed lips wear out or break on the Tapcos I'll just use the Polish, if that ever happens.

Glocks have steel in the most important places, and in their magazines.

Glocks have steel in the most important places, and in their magazines.

Right, but the steel is attached to....wait for it.....polymer. If the steel that holds the slide rails on comes loose, never mind, I'll try and break one of the mags and see what happens. then i'll know for myself if they can be trusted or not.

Right, but the steel is attached to....wait for it.....polymer. If the steel that holds the slide rails on comes loose, never mind, I'll try and break one of the mags and see what happens. then i'll know for myself if they can be trusted or not.

See here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq25sisQyDg

Edited by Jim Digriz

See here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq25sisQyDg

Three years ago. They didn't even make the 74 mags then, which is what we are discussing. I try not to drop my rifle off the roof whenever possible, but if I did, and the mag broke, I would just change the mag. Lets just agree to disagree. The Tapcos work fine for me, and seems like many others, the fact that they are all polymer makes no difference to me. Many highly regarded mags on the market are all polymer. I think Tapco's price point turns alot off people off that think you get what you pay for. If that is true, Saiga's must be junk because they are cheaper than other AK style weapons. We all know thats not true. Thanks for the input.

I haven't yet purchased a 5.45X39 Russian Siaga rifle, but have been considering one. I own several Siaga rifles in .223, .308, and 7.62X39. Have however purchased some Pro Mags in 5.45X39, as I do have other AK's in that caliber (Bulgarian) and have polymer mags from Bulgaria and metal ones from Poland for the 5.45X39. Am very conscious of mag quality and fit and function with specific rifles - and although the current crop of US mags (with exceptions, like US Palm) is not to the military standards of the Eastern Euro factories, I do think that at least the mag bodies of the US polymer mags can be reinforced to sustain a little rougher use. For instance, a silicon pressure tape or strong construction tape can be wrapped around mags, or, and I favor this avenue, using a product such as Flex Seal which is a rubberized fire retardant sealant to spray on the mags to add strength and sound deadening. Depends on how thick one puts it on (sprays it on) as to the weight of the mag, but that would help. There might also be some product out in what's left of the industrial USA that might be good to coat the plastic mag catches and contact points with that would harden at least the surface of the plastic. I have a Norinco BWK 92 Sporter (My very first AK) in .223, and I have found that Pro Mag .223 mags fit and function to a tee in it, and I only have 10 mags for that rifle max - so I am doing just what I mentioned above and am using Flex Seal to strengthen the mag and probably Gorilla glue or some other super strong product to coat the surfaces of the mag catch area and contact points to harden them. Rustoleum makes a product similar to Flex Seal - and it can also be used to partially sound deaden metal mags, and keeps ones metal mags rust free. Just some food for thought for any one that might be hungry.

Edited by Hamerforged

the best mags are russian. if you cant find them, then go with bulgarian. im sure my sgl31 will run fine with others, but i like to feed it with true russian shit. ive tried promags, that didnt go over so well. ill stick with circle 10/21 and russian made mags. they seem to function best.

I haven't yet purchased a 5.45X39 Russian Siaga rifle, but have been considering one. I own several Siaga rifles in .223, .308, and 7.62X39. Have however purchased some Pro Mags in 5.45X39, as I do have other AK's in that caliber (Bulgarian) and have polymer mags from Bulgaria and metal ones from Poland for the 5.45X39. Am very conscious of mag quality and fit and function with specific rifles - and although the current crop of US mags (with exceptions, like US Palm) is not to the military standards of the Eastern Euro factories, I do think that at least the mag bodies of the US polymer mags can be reinforced to sustain a little rougher use. For instance, a silicon pressure tape or strong construction tape can be wrapped around mags, or, and I favor this avenue, using a product such as Flex Seal which is a rubberized fire retardant sealant to spray on the mags to add strength and sound deadening. Depends on how thick one puts it on (sprays it on) as to the weight of the mag, but that would help. There might also be some product out in what's left of the industrial USA that might be good to coat the plastic mag catches and contact points with that would harden at least the surface of the plastic. I have a Norinco BWK 92 Sporter (My very first AK) in .223, and I have found that Pro Mag .223 mags fit and function to a tee in it, and I only have 10 mags for that rifle max - so I am doing just what I mentioned above and am using Flex Seal to strengthen the mag and probably Gorilla glue or some other super strong product to coat the surfaces of the mag catch area and contact points to harden them. Rustoleum makes a product similar to Flex Seal - and it can also be used to partially sound deaden metal mags, and keeps ones metal mags rust free. Just some food for thought for any one that might be hungry.

you wont regret picking one up man. they are sweet. i think the 5.45 is something everyone should own. kinda like a 10/22.

Thanks Captain Hero - I do have a Romaniant Cugir built '74 and a couple of Bulgarian builds off of kits, one of those is an underfolder - and I do indeed like the 5.45X39 round. I also have a "few" of the Bulgarian Polymer Mags and a handfull of metal Tantal mags, and a few Bakelites. I like to at least purchase some of the American made mags and test them for fit - for instance, the Promag 5.45X39 also fits and functions well in my Romanian and Bulgarian 74's. I also fully understand that these mags are not even among the medium American polymer mags in quality - so I look for ways to strengthen them. Haven't yet picked up any Sure Fires or Tapco mags in any caliber yet, but would like to. Among the American made polymer mags, I have found the US Palm to be a really top quality mag - would be interesting is US Palm decided to make that mag in 5.45X39 - but until then I will attempt to pick up more surplus mags when able to find good deals, and pick up American mags to work on them and test them.

And yes, I really would like one of the Russian 5.45X39 rifles.

Freedom.... It is Everything........