Saiga 12 choke?

I recently picked up a Saiga 12 with a 19 inch barrel. The muzzle is threaded and has a thread protector. Will a choke fit on this gun? The threads are on the outside unlike the inside thread I'm used to seeing. Is there a flash supressor or muzzle break available? Thanks.

There are choke sets available, but they are NOT CHEAP.

Yes, you can get muzzlebreaks that will also thread onto those threads, as well as "paradox" rifled choke tubes that also thread onto the existing threads.

Check this link...

http://www.rusmilitary.com/html/c-deact_accessories.htm

and also other users on here are dealing straight from Russia, so you can contact them for items... also perhaps TANTAL... ( Someone got the current website addy for this ???)

Good luck, enjoy the new arrival!! :D

:smoke:

So is it my understanding that these threaded S12's have no choke what so ever? Meaning that it's just about useless to shoot anything other than slugs? I just picked a converted 19" up, and was wondering about this, also trying to decide whether to sell my 22, but I like it's full choke so I guess i'll keep it. -myers

Thanks for the info on chokes. FAL Grunt: I would hardly call a load of 00 buck from a cylinder bore 12 gauge" just about useless." Try a number of different loads from your 19" gun. I think you will find a good one. The full choke may throw a small shot load better but an open choke often throws a tighter pattern with the buck shot. I havent tried my 19" gun yet but the pattern will be minute-of-dirtbag at any house range.

The factory chokes, being external, screw on to the end of the barrel.

G O B

That was my understanding. I would really like a 19" with a choke (internal barrel full choke) but I havn't found or heard of any. Reason being I want the MB too in addition to the full choke.

Problem with no choke is I do more trap shooting, and I don't plan on using this rifle for close quaters or anything else. Though I agree on the minute of dirt-bag. Kinda useless being in college and I don't have the funds to have a rifle that isn't acceptably functional for what I intend to use it for.

Owell I guess i'll see what I can do. Might just fix up my 22" and sell my 19"

-myers

Fal Grunt why don't you keep the 19"? It's the best of both worlds cause you can have a close quarters HD gun and still put on either a Cyl., Mod., Full, or Paradox rifled choke and you can even get a shot spreader or a MB or FH for it. You can't do all that with a 22" full. I have both and the 19" with a full choke patterns just as well as the 22" full and handles better.

I have to agree with the above...you bought a Saiga for a trap gun??? That's awesome! Show those snobby bitches what's what. Don't need a $10k Franchi or $15k kregov: just need skills and a gun.

Though do be aware, the Saiga is not a trap gun at all. Even with a 22", the sight radius short. Also, you'll piss people off in the lanes beside you when you start tossing casings into them.

I have an 18.5" barrel and screw-in chokes, and am able to shoot skeet, trap, and clays with it. I'm only hitting probably about 10/25 on trap, but my gun's not set up for it either. The most constricted choke I use is improved modified, and to keep my pattern a little tighter I am forced to use #6 shot. This meant that I had to be pretty dead on because there's not as much lead from a #6 as I'd be throwing down-range using a trap-load. Also, I keep my gun zeroed point of impact instead of for rising targets, so I had to shoot blindly over the target and hope that I guessed about the right height at the right distance.

However, with practice, a full/Xfull choke, and trap-loads I feel the Saiga would be fine. Don't expect to ever break 20/25 simply because you can mix/match chokes, so the best you can do is mix your loads and hope you match your shot to your choke to your distances. Bottom line is, you're gonna have to be a helluva a shooter and understand the intricacies of the sport if you want to use a Saiga for trap; I'd compare it to using a baseball bat on a tennis court: it could work, but it'd be an awkward overkill.

So bottom line, if you want a versatile gun, keep the 18.5" and add chokes. If you want a trap gun, keep the 22" and use light loads with the full choke. Let us know what you decide!

Read my post in the 20 gauge section about trap shooting... I am in TRAP LEAGUES and the ONLY GUN I use is my Saiga 20 gauge...

I can normally shoot high 40's with it... :up: :up: although lately I have been doing bad things, like lifting my head, and throwing myself off...

I run it on the light load setting so I stovepipe about 3 out of 5 rounds... unload them by hand, toss them in the scrap bucket at each station...

The ones that DO EJECT, go about a 2:00 position about 5 feet in front of me... no worries about hitting the guy next to me...

My 20 has the rifle style sights... and yeah its VERY SHORT... but you put that front bead just under the bird, and it will smoke em EVERY TIME!!!!!

The gun will shoot a 25 out of 25... now to get the goofball behind it to shoot that good and I will be all set!!! :D

THERE AINT NOTHING WRONG with a Saiga 12 for trap shooting... I have taken my S12 for trap... but I like the fact that my 20 will shoot as good as anyone elses 12 gauge, with shorter sight radius and lighter loads... lets me know that its a BETTER shooter than theirs!!! LOL

GO TEAM SAIGA!!!!

:smoke:

• 3 weeks later...

Heh :) sorry guys. This is on the bottom of the list but I thought i'd respond anyway. Never owned a shotgun before, and the saiga looked sweet. Always have thought an AK in multi- calibers would be sweet. So a 12ga AK is awesome.

You guys are thinking compitition trap stuff.... :) you flatter me. When I said that I only meant that I manly shoot clay pidgeons. I'll never use it as a "home defence" weapon........ cause im never home. Totaly different argument, anyway. So yea.... :)

Check my other thread, you'll see where im headed. -myers