I just bought a stock 89 jeep cahokee pioneer. So far it runs great and have found only a couple minor things I need to fix on it (cigeratta lighter doesn't work and the wiring for the trailer lights is frayed) It has a reciever for a trailer hitch so I'm cosidering getting different attachments.

I'm not looking to turn this jeep into a rock crawler but i'd like to be able drag a downed tree or get around after a natural disaster. Tornandos/ severe thunder storms are fairly common and I live a couple hours from the coast so hurricans do cause damage from time to time. After some tornados went through a neighborhood nearby last spring I'd like be able to dig out on my own while the city, county, state and FEMA fight over who is going to pay for the clean up and provide the people to do the work. I live way out in the county so I expect to be the last to be dug out in the event of a disaster.

I'm working with a fairly low budget so I'm looking for practical, low budget upgrades I can do to make my jeep a SHTF vehical. I've already put my get "home bag" in it and have logging chains and a come a long.

I'd like to have some attachment points on the front and back for dragging things ( downed trees/ disabled cars)along with some good lights, roof rack and possible a winch (not sure how big a winch I would need) any suggestions or photos of things you've done to your vehical would be great

First question: what engine? The 4.0L?

If you get the shop manuals for the beast (yeah, couple hundred bucks), those should have a lot of the information you want (and be about priceless for keeping the beast running).

I would add lights, including one WHITE light facing behind you for a worklight, and at least a 6,000lb winch. You may be better served with a 9,000lb winch.

Put a receiver hitch on the front and get a winch on a receiver plate, then you can move the winch from front to rear.

Install a 2" lift and then put the largest tires that will fit.

If mt, install a competition clutch.

Snorkle.

It's a 4.0L with an automatic. I was planning on mounting "work lights" on the side and rear, probably mounted to a roof rack of some type.

I've consided putting a winch on a reciever plate and mounting a front reciver. Seems to be the most modular option but not sure putting a hitch reciever would be strong enough for a 8000+ pound winch.

Aussie locker ("lunchbox locker") for the front Dana 30.

Tires. 31's will take you lots of places!

Small lift.

Recovery points front and rear. I have front and rear receivers on my XJ and they've worked great. I like the receivers better then the hooks because the pull on both frame rails, which are already thin on a Cherokee, instead of just one side.

How often are you realistically gonna need a winch?

• Like 1

Never heard of a Jeep "Cahokee" before!! They must be new to the market, oh wait it is a 1989 Cahokee. You should totally put a WENCH on it!!! Make sure you have a couple wenches in your Tuhl box as well..haha.gif

• Like 1

It's a 4.0L with an automatic. I was planning on mounting "work lights" on the side and rear, probably mounted to a roof rack of some type.

I've consided putting a winch on a reciever plate and mounting a front reciver. Seems to be the most modular option but not sure putting a hitch reciever would be strong enough for a 8000+ pound winch.

The 8000lbs is just a safety factor. your frame is good for 5000 at most.

Aussie locker ("lunchbox locker") for the front Dana 30.

Tires. 31's will take you lots of places!

Small lift.

Recovery points front and rear. I have front and rear receivers on my XJ and they've worked great. I like the receivers better then the hooks because the pull on both frame rails, which are already thin on a Cherokee, instead of just one side.

How often are you realistically gonna need a winch?

If you need recovery points on your offroad vehicle, then you could probably use a winch.

Hrm... dunno about the automatic in that vintage. I'd definitely add a transmission cooler if you don't already have one.

I wonder if you can get those police A-pillar spotlight setups? Those would be great for additional worklights. Those, plus 4 lights on the roof and one on the back would probably meet all your lighting needs.

My shooting buddy used to have a Cherokee, I think he had 31" tires under it and a ~2" lift. That was more for the approach angles than anything else.

Oh, three tools that need to be included in your preparations: a brush-axe (hatchet will do if you can't find a Sandvick), a shovel, and a Hi-lift jack. All of them should have latches to keep them from bouncing around the cabin if you roll.

• Like 1

I hadn't thought about the transmission cooler. Already have an ax, and shovel, need a hi jack. Also want to get a couple 5 gal fuel can. Need to fix my chain saw (pull cord broke). Going to the store today to pick up some lights to mount on the front end. I do have a couple logging chains I keep handy but I'd like to have a nylon rope too.

NO! Not nylon rope, unless you're tying things down with it. You want a tow strap (doesn't stretch much), and a snatch strap (stretches controllably), and they need to be easy to tell apart (different uses).

Trust an old sailor on this, if/when your nylon 'towrope' parts it will kill people and break things. A strap has a much higher strength. Don't forget a locking bolt for your hi-lift jack, they like to walk off when you're not looking.

If you're really going out in the sticks, add a couple 5-gallon water cans, too. I've seen a couple rooftop baskets for all this, and you just tarp and strap it all down. Or make your own if you're OK with a welder.

www.NAXJA.org is your friend! Any and all info is there.

The Mullet Man knows of what he speaks. After reading a few XJ articles about various builds I headed out and found an XJ to build up for me and my kids to go camping and trail riding in. The best 4x4 for the dollar ever made, If it's got the towing package many of the pioneers came with Dana 44 rear axle which I just paid $800 for since my 1993 didn't come with the stronger axle from the factory.

Enjoy

• Like 1

I have a 96 that is my daily driver. Cry 8.25 rear end. Aw4 trans and 4.0L one of the best setups they ran on the XJs. 296,000 miles and still going strong. Depending on were you live be prepared to fix some rust. Being from maine I've done my floors and rockers twice. But other than that it will serve you very very well.

• Like 1

I've already got a couple 5 gal water jugs. A snatch strap is more of what I'm looking for. Used to keep them on our humvees with one end already connected to the truck so if you went down all they had to do is pull up in front of you and hook up.

I'm planning to get a basket for the roof to hold water/fuel cans, a full spare and tools.

Mounted some lights today but haven't finished wiring them up yet.

I like in central NC so rust and snow aren't huge issues, Mostly have to avoid getting bogged down in all the sand and swamps around here or a downed tree.

Edited by Rusty truck

Your trans cooler should be in the radiator.

A good upgrade is to get rid of the stock radiator (it has crimped on plastic end tanks, JUNK) and install an all metal 2 or 3 row unit from RadiatorBarn.com

If you're gonna do the winch deal, check out http://detoursusa.com/ . He makes some clean attachments front and rear and they are STOUT!

Ah, NC and sand... You may want to add a small air compressor to your list of items (or a 30-minute firefighter's air bottle). You can then air down your tires offroad and air them back up on-road. If you go the firefighter's air bottle, that needs to be *seriously* secured, and you will spend a bit on the proper regulator setup to step 4500psi down to <45psi.

At least some fire-stations will refill firefighter air tanks for free/minimal cost, you just need to ask around. If they do it for free, I'd make sure I left a nice tip (bigass tray of lasagna or something similar), but that's just because I like to pay my debts, whether other people think I owe them or not. Besides, lasagna is pretty cheap.

If you add a lot of electrical stuff, you may need to upgrade the alternator, but the 4-wheeler guys would know better than I do what that point actually is.

I have a small 12v compressor already biggrin.png

Finished mounting lights on the front but, I don't have the time today to finish wiring them in. So I'll finsh those later in the week.

Next thing I want to add is a cargo basket on the roof and a couple fuel cans

I've been looking at the detour winch mount already and I really like how clean and simple it is.

post-20691-0-86465500-1326565145_thumb.jpg

post-20691-0-69146600-1326565165_thumb.jpg

I used to live in NY, the salt ate my nissian pick up truck and my f-250. One good thing about the living in the south is there's less rust to deal with. Hopefully I'll be able to finsh the lights this week amoung other projects and work (wife decided to give the kitchen a make over).

Does any one know of a place to find rebuilt/ used winches?

• Like 1