Assuming the price wasn't an issue, would you rather an HK 45 or Springfield XD(m) 45? Assume you have to keep them and use them. I currently have the XD(m) but am considering switching to an HK. I tried Glock but didn't like the feel.

I thought about getting a 9mm but I dont really get excited about 9mm handguns for some reason. I feel like if I have a 45 and can afford lots of ammo there's no strong argument for 9mm. Thoughts? I would rather have 1 really nice gun than 5 mediocre guns of different calibers.

HK is ver nice. But... I'm a fan of FN. check out the FNP-45. Very nice handgun with a 14+1 capacity. There is a basic model and a tactical model that has a threaded barrel and accepts an rmr type sight. I've had my eye on one for a while but just keep finding other things to spend money on.

Edit: The only .45 I currently own is a Colt New Agent. But I have shot the FN and HK.

Edited by dayofruin
  • Like 1

id get an hk, not a huge fan of them but everyone who owns them seems to be happy. most people on here dont seem to really care about the 45 vs 9mm vs 45-110 sharps etc, i could really care less if someone thought pellet guns were the ultimate ccw

Anything less than a 45-110 just isn't enough for personal defense in my opinion. Its a little hard to fit that 1874 under your coat, but with a little paperwork and a hacksaw you can SBR it with a folding stock. Sure it's expensive and it's a shame to do such sacrilegious work to a fine piece of art, but I assure you it's worth the effort and I think you'll agree when you are in need and next thing you know its raining bloody bits of BG.

Otherwise caliber doesn't really matter most of the time. Get what you are comfortable using. An American made 1911 is next on my shopping list as far as collecting goes, but I've got no problems using the other smaller caliber handguns I already have/

HK is a quality weapon. i plan on getting one myself sometime this year. ive shot several and never had any issues, but the FN line was made to compete with them. and i think they do that well. i have an fnp 45 and have a little over 2k rounds through it with no trouble at all. id take an FN over an XD. but thats me. but to the op, id go HK.

uh oh - hope I didn't open a can of worms with the 9mm comments. I'm more focused on .45acp comparison anyways.

I'm teasing (I like/carry 10mm), I avoid those types of discussions now. I'd personally take 9mm for capacity and faster shot to shot times but like that .45ACP is so easily suppressable with just about any factory ammo. Every caliber has it's use.

I personally like the G21 SF, having the grip reduced is even better but that's not what your looking for.

Between the two I'd take the HK if money was no object, my biggest concern would be dealing with there CS.

I haven't played with the XDs enough and the one I did shoot was a 9mm.

I've shot my friend's XD. Not really a fan.

As long as it's not the Mk23 version of the HK, it's fine. Oh, the Mk23 is a very nice firearm, but it's BIG. Hard to find holsters for it, because it doesn't fit in a standard military-issue holster. Great for open-carry, not so hot for trying to conceal one (I'm a big guy and I wouldn't waste time even trying).

I'd shoot the FN for comparison, but I'd almost certainly buy the HK. Unless I bought a Para P14...

HK all the way. to me the XD is a PHP with great advertising (yes I know they aren't the same gun). What I really don't like about the XD is the grip safety. You can't even pull the slide back if the safety isn't activated. Kinda hard to do if injured or otherwise incopasitated.

I've shot my friend's XD. Not really a fan.

Yep, same with me.

Shot a buddy's XD .45 a couple of times. It's ok and I can shoot it accurately, but it's not comfortable in my medium sized hand. The large capacity of .45 rounds is nice, but I prefer a smaller more comfortable grip. I also tend to go for DA/SA pistols more than SA (in spite of my avatar pic).

i have a baby eagle in .45 and it my favorite pistol. it is accurate beyond belief and its main features that i like are abidextrious safety, auto decocker for the hammer when put on safe, the trigger disengages when safety is on, and it has a 10 rd mag

• Like 2

I have owned all 3 mentioned. XD, FN, and HK. If I had to do it again it would be the FN or the XD and then the HK. The FN is set up similar to the HK. It also feels pretty good in the hand and is by far the softest shooting 45 I have owned. They had problems when they first came out but I think FN fixed those. Mine has been flawless. The XD just works and is affordable. The HK is an HK. Reliable and super over priced but sexy. I use to be HK or nothing. HK no longer has power over me. All 3 will sever you well. I would trust my life with any of them.

i have a baby eagle in .45 and it my favorite pistol. it is accurate beyond belief and its main features that i like are abidextrious safety, auto decocker for the hammer when put on safe, the trigger disengages when safety is on, and it has a 10 rd mag

Right on dude!

Yep, I also rate my Baby Eagle .45 as my best pistol.

Just ordered the Recoil Reduction System for it from Zahal.org.

I like my PT145 a lot too, but when you shoot them back to back, no question which is the better piece.

• Like 1

alright cbr, this is what you need: cz 75 pre b. just dont buy em all up on me!!!! best trigger on a 9mm gun bar none. and accurate. and steel. was shooting double action at a steel plate at 100yds. just good times. feels right. price is right, check em out. ps robertson is good people...

whoops no links...look up robertson trading post... great prices on cz's

here is my 75, check that sn eh???

IMG_20120113_121435.jpg

as far as 45s go, go steel as well!!!

IMG_20111222_122652-1.jpg

IMG_20111222_122716-1.jpg

i fabbed those sights and grips. in progress of course

here is a colt slide on a foster frame. i love tinkering, if you do as well, assembling your own 1911 can be very rewarding!!!

Edited by saltydecimator

Eh, not really.

I own a CZ75....awesome gun. 16 rounds ought to be enough for anyone. But, when you get into 45s,

the all steel construction of the 1911 is both heavy and ammo limiting. I also own a few 1911s, awesome

guns too. However, if you'd like more carry options than condition 1, and more ammo than 8, there are better

carry guns out there. Also, I think the scaled down 1911s lose a lot in the translation.

The reason I like the USP is that it is a 90s design with hammer, single and double action, safety, and decocker.

Newer designs from HK, like all other gun companies, are losing the hammer, the safety, the decocker, and going

with the glock style striker fire. I agree, double action pulls are horrendous on some of these guns, but the single

action USP trigger is pretty much pure sex, especially the match trigger. The XDs trigger sucks, in comparison.

No need for the MK23, the USP Elite is everything it is and more, and is cheaper.

I'm trying to figure out how an HK pistol, which costs maybe 20% more than a Glock, and is better made,

is super over-priced?

Well since the budget isn't a factor then hands down the HK.The Springfield is a fairly good pistol but their whole strong point is "bang for the buck" on a lower budget.I have shot many .45 pistols and the one and only gun i have not and will not even consider trading or selling is my HK USP .45 tactical.Now if I'm looking to add a .45 to what I have then I am positive I would get either an FNP or FNX.My wife owns an FNX 9mm and that gun impresses me.

Assuming the price wasn't an issue, would you rather an HK 45 or Springfield XD(m) 45?

Well, since you only offer 2 options, I would go with the HK.

I feel like if I have a 45 and can afford lots of ammo there's no strong argument for 9mm. Thoughts?

Depends on it's use. If you think the 45 is some type of magical man stopper then you are mistaken. What is most important is shot placement and penetration. Sure, an expanded 45 ACP HP is a little wider my a small fraction of an inch when compared to an expanded 9mm HP, this is almost irrelevant given how small the difference is. There is also a weight/capacity/size penalty with 45 ACP, it generally does not penetrate as well AND it costs more. Sure sounds like a lot of compromises being made to carry a "cool" caliber... If I really wanted a powerful semi-auto handgun round I would go with 10mm over 45. More capacity, better ballistics and more versatile when compared to a 45 ACP gun. IMHO, 9mm is plenty capable for any common use.

A few reasons to steer clear of the XD.

[snip]

dsc08008-tm-tfb.jpg

dsc08005-tm-tfb.jpg

dsc08015-tm-tfb.jpg

My point is that all guns can go kaboom. A few pictures mean nothing.

Opinions, opinions...

To the OP, methinks you have your answer. HK45. Go for the "cool" caliber -- it will raise your credit score and your chick magnet potential at the very least.

To egg on the niavete -- 9mm is for those who can't handle the coolness of the .45. It is indeed sooooo cool.

BJ (just yankin your chain)

• Like 1