Sure I may not seem too up to date, But someone needs to include the 1911 more. The kabooms that Ive seen in them has always blown the magazine out and sometimes splinered the wooden grips, but no structual damage. Usually they blow the brass just in front of the case head due to someone reworking the feed ramp too much. The dremel tool is the enemy of the 1911. I own several accarate and super relialable 1911's this is the result of owning many 1911's through the years and never keeping the ones that didn't measure up with just minor tuning. I would never guarantee the next one to be good.

he went into younder village and never returned

Assuming the price wasn't an issue, would you rather an HK 45 or Springfield XD(m) 45?

Well, since you only offer 2 options, I would go with the HK.

I feel like if I have a 45 and can afford lots of ammo there's no strong argument for 9mm. Thoughts?

Depends on it's use. If you think the 45 is some type of magical man stopper then you are mistaken. What is most important is shot placement and penetration. Sure, an expanded 45 ACP HP is a little wider my a small fraction of an inch when compared to an expanded 9mm HP, this is almost irrelevant given how small the difference is. There is also a weight/capacity/size penalty with 45 ACP, it generally does not penetrate as well AND it costs more. Sure sounds like a lot of compromises being made to carry a "cool" caliber... If I really wanted a powerful semi-auto handgun round I would go with 10mm over 45. More capacity, better ballistics and more versatile when compared to a 45 ACP gun. IMHO, 9mm is plenty capable for any common use.

A few reasons to steer clear of the XD.

[snip]

dsc08008-tm-tfb.jpg

dsc08005-tm-tfb.jpg

dsc08015-tm-tfb.jpg

My point is that all guns can go kaboom. A few pictures mean nothing.

All guns can go kaboom. I've seen way more XD and Sig kaboom pics than anything else.

As far as caliber goes, as stated above, shot placement is key, there is no magic caliber. I am confident whether I am carrying a 9mm, .40, or .45, that I can stop a threat with any of them.

Edited by MT Predator
  • Like 2

i love these posts, however, i think glock KBs are more frequent than all hte rest, only due to the fact that glock sales make up 65% of the market or something....

i agree with shot placement, and ya, HKs sure are super expensive. thats why my inner jew loves a deal. if i can get 3 guns for the price of one, i will go that route everytime....Until money is no longer an issue..

A .45ACP is longer than a 9MM. So any pistol that requires throating the barrel to get it to feed will KB with lead bullets and no cleaning. Shoot big bullets in guns designed for big bullets, not guns made for smaller ones. This is why there is a .45GAP that is shorter than .45ACP.

I am just A newbe to this forum, but i cannot keep my mouth shut about 1911's. First see the feed ramp on the last picture of the kaboom HK, As in most moderan designs the feed ramp is extended well past and below the chamber. This gives the round a much better chance of chambering thus more reliability, Also If throating is required (this is unusual in a extended ramp gun) it would not necessarly remove any of the chamber support of the round as it can in 1911's.

So I will admitt that modern pistols with extended ramps may be more reliable and less likely to kaboom than that old gun that John Browning invented back when, We are looking at pictures of the distruction that can happen in a modern design. Although the design

enhanched reliabilty and helped to prevent a KB, in my opinion when the KB happened the gasses are not directed as safely as they were in the 1911. As I stated in my previousoly posting that the KB's in 1911's that I am fimiliar with, a long feed ramp is not present that would direct the blast reward into the pistol, but in a 1911 the path of least resitance is strait down through the magazine well, this path is secured by only the magazine release.

Kaboom a 1911 and you better be prepaired to pick up the magazine, blow out any debre, install new wodden grips, maybe a new magazine release button, and you are back into the war. A pair of tweazers and a band aid might also be nice.

Shot placement, be it ever so important is much easier accomplished on paper than on live moving targets.

he went into younder village and never returned.

Shot placement, be it ever so important is much easier accomplished on paper than on live moving targets.

and the difficulty is increased exponentially when said targets are responding...

The following public service announcement brought to you by Capt. Obvious!

Edited by Odd Man Out

We are looking at pictures of the distruction that can happen in a modern design. Although the design

enhanched reliabilty and helped to prevent a KB, in my opinion when the KB happened the gasses are not directed as safely as they were in the 1911. As I stated in my previousoly posting that the KB's in 1911's that I am fimiliar with, a long feed ramp is not present that would direct the blast reward into the pistol, but in a 1911 the path of least resitance is strait down through the magazine well, this path is secured by only the magazine release.

Kaboom a 1911 and you better be prepaired to pick up the magazine, blow out any debre, install new wodden grips, maybe a new magazine release button, and you are back into the war. A pair of tweazers and a band aid might also be nice.

I think the damage we see to the frames of these guns is due to materials and the 1911 probably sees the same forces, but its is metal so there is less damage to the frame. I can't see some little ramp lowering the force applied on the frame, gas expands in all directions and it will not blow out of the frame until it has filled it first and exerting all the pressure it could. The only was to lessen that is to have a vent of some sort, more/bigger openings. In any case, I bet most kabooms are the result of an overpressure round and not a huge concern with factory ammo IMHO.

The real reason I want to stick with 45 is because girls are impressed by it. haha actually I enjoy shooting 45's, I think they have more stopping power than 9mm (arguable I guess), and I have the dies for a dillan reloader that I just started using.

I'm headed to the local gunstore tonight to hold an HK again. Based on the fail pictures above I probably should go with a Sig...? ;)

Almost everything I hear about the HK is positive.