New Saiga12 Conversion Range Report

Just finished converting my Saiga 12 and took it to the range today for some testing. This is one of the new S12's without the side rail. They come with 4 ports from the factory now.

I shot about 125 rounds of federal bulk birdshot, the wally world special. At first it wouldn't cycle at all. As I kept shooting I noticed that the shells would try to eject but will still fail. After about 100 rounds I had the factory mag cycling all 5 rounds! The AGP's still had some FTE's but I was getting 3-4 shots off at a time without FTE. My last 10 rounds or so where from the factory mag and not ONE FTE. I was stoked. I had the gas on setting 2, factory plug and puck. No modifications to the port's either. Pretty much a bone stock gun, minus the conversion.

I was going to run another 75 rounds but my shooting area was being invaded by motorcyle riders(off road) so I packed up. Overall I'm very pleased. Looks like the new S12's out there are winners. For only $499 get one while you can!

I have a gun fixer plug on they way I bought in the classifieds but it looks like I might not even need it. I'll install it and see if there is any change.

004-19.jpg

Edited by xICEMANx

Just finished converting my Saiga 12 and took it to the range today for some testing. This is one of the new S12's without the side rail. They come with 4 ports from the factory now.

I shot about 125 rounds of federal bulk birdshot, the wally world special. At first it wouldn't cycle at all. As I kept shooting I noticed that the shells would try to eject but will still fail. After about 100 rounds I had the factory mag cycling all 5 rounds! The AGP's still had some FTE's but I was getting 3-4 shots off at a time without FTE. My last 10 rounds or so where from the factory mag and not ONE FTE. I was stoked. I had the gas on setting 2, factory plug and puck. No modifications to the port's either. Pretty much a bone stock gun, minus the conversion.

I was going to run another 75 rounds but my shooting area was being invaded by motorcyle riders(off road) so I packed up. Overall I'm very pleased. Looks like the new S12's out there are winners. For only $499 get one while you can!

I have a gun fixer plug on they way I bought in the classifieds but it looks like I might not even need it. I'll install it and see if there is any change.

The Gunfixer plug will do absolutely nothing except allow you to fine tune the amount of existing gas that is allowed to enter the gas block. It fixes nothing, so do not expect it to do that. Gunfxr is the name of the 'smith that created the "more than two position" aftermaket regulator. The name is misleading to those who are unaware of the history of the item. Great product, but it is not a substitute for reprofiling, polishing, and port enlargement. These are "gas operated" weapons.... there's your clue. 4 ports @ .093" has been very successful for me when done in conjunction with other modifications. They do not clog easily and there is plenty of gas on tap to cycle almost any ammo that is commercially available (when the rest of the weapon has been gone through). No low brass reliability spring neccessary....

From what you have stated here, I can tell you that your S12 needs some attention in order to achieve reliability with bulk birdshot and MD-20 drums or the ProMag 20. Start reading the stickies or doing some extensive research on business members here and the services that they offer. These weapons can be very rewarding when they are "there". Sounds like you had a good time, but you have just skimmed the surface ;)

The Gunfixer plug will do absolutely nothing except allow you to fine tune the amount of existing gas that is allowed to enter the gas block. It fixes nothing, so do not expect it to do that. Gunfxr is the name of the 'smith that created the "more than two position" aftermaket regulator. The name is misleading to those who are unaware of the history of the item. Great product, but it is not a substitute for reprofiling, polishing, and port enlargement. These are "gas operated" weapons.... there's your clue. 4 ports @ .093" has been very successful for me when done in conjunction with other modifications. They do not clog easily and there is plenty of gas on tap to cycle almost any ammo that is commercially available (when the rest of the weapon has been gone through). No low brass reliability spring neccessary....

From what you have stated here, I can tell you that your S12 needs some attention in order to achieve reliability with bulk birdshot and MD-20 drums or the ProMag 20. Start reading the stickies or doing some extensive research on business members here and the services that they offer. These weapons can be very rewarding when they are "there". Sounds like you had a good time, but you have just skimmed the surface wink.png

I'm aware the gunfixer plug won't fix anything. I wouldn't mind the extra gas settings though. I'm going to put another 100 rounds of the birdshot through it. From my last 25 rounds I shot I'm thinking the more I shoot it the better it's going to cycle birdshot. This gun had never been shot before today. Next step is a drum mag and see how it does there. My local smith does alot of S12 conversions and gets them running great. I might have him open up the gas ports if neccessary.

I'd polish and re-profile first, there's no need to touch the ports if it isn't needed...

Well.... it all depends on what the expectation of the weapon is. 100% reliability with MD-20s and bulk ammo will require some port work. It is fairly easy to achieve reliability with stick mags and bulk ammo and he may get away with no port enlargement if that is the expectaion.

I'm never happy with close enough ;)

From what you have stated here, I can tell you that your S12 needs some attention in order to achieve reliability with bulk birdshot and MD-20 drums or the ProMag 20. Start reading the stickies or doing some extensive research on business members here and the services that they offer. These weapons can be very rewarding when they are "there". Sounds like you had a good time, but you have just skimmed the surface wink.png

I'm aware the gunfixer plug won't fix anything. I wouldn't mind the extra gas settings though. I'm going to put another 100 rounds of the birdshot through it. From my last 25 rounds I shot I'm thinking the more I shoot it the better it's going to cycle birdshot. This gun had never been shot before today. Next step is a drum mag and see how it does there. My local smith does alot of S12 conversions and gets them running great. I might have him open up the gas ports if neccessary.

Sorry, I misunderstood the following statement....

"I have a gun fixer plug on they way I bought in the classifieds but it looks like I might not even need it. I'll install it and see if there is any change."

Thanks for the report. I'm waiting to get back into the country so I can pick up my saiga from the shop that I ordered from AA. I'm going to send the bolt out to get polished and have the charging handle switched to the left side then add a conversion kit. That's about all I'm looking to do for now. I was wondering what rounds to use for the break in. Guess I'll go with the wally world bird like you did.