Moving to California on Military orders, oh no!

Okay so not for a while, like a year and a half unless i short tour out of maryland... So there are a lot of topics on what you can and cannot have in california, and what mod's need to be done to a Saiga in order to have one in California... Mine is converted.

So I'm looking for some opinions, what should I do? What do i need to worry about? Or is it legal to take my saiga to coronado, california since it was registered outside of the state?

Don't quote me, but I think CA has a military exemption policy. IIRC, the way it works is that you can't buy cool stuff once you get there, but if you bring it with you when you PCS in, you're ok. If I'm wrong, I apologize. Check out calguns.net.

ETA: If you do want to talk to LE, don't check with just any law enforcement officer, you'll need to get ahold of the CA DOJ Bureau of Firearms. They're the experts.

Edited by JoshAston

Easy fix send me your guns they will be here when you get back.rolleyes.gif I would send them to my brothers,sisters or parents I won't take shit of mine to CA. but I understand you will want to shoot while you are there so good luck but the best bet would be to call a CA State troopers office and ask.

Don't quote me, but I think CA has a military exemption policy. IIRC, the way it works is that you can't buy cool stuff once you get there, but if you bring it with you when you PCS in, you're ok. If I'm wrong, I apologize. Check out calguns.net.

ETA: If you do want to talk to LE, don't check with just any law enforcement officer, you'll need to get ahold of the CA DOJ Bureau of Firearms. They're the experts.

This is what I'm hoping for... that there is a military exemption policy. I'm really busy today, cleaning the garage, changing the oil in the vehicle, I gotta make my way to my FFL to pick up another weapon... Busy busy, so i'm checking in and out through the day so I have a clue if I'm accepting these orders to coronado on tuesday.

Edited by PA Shooter

I'm really doubting that you'll be able to take it in it's current state. Even if you were able to take it with you, you'd get all kinds of shit every single time you went to the range. A friend of mine is an MAA and he wasn't able to take either of his Glocks with their magazines or his AK when he got orders to San Diego so I'm pretty confident in saying that you won't be able to take it unless you install a bullet-button and/or other mods...

Sorry the military exemption is not something your likely to obtain. IIRC, there is a provision in the PC for military personnel but it requires that the installation commander sign a form saying you need said weapon for duty. Good luck getting that.

What you need to do is join Calguns and start reading the FAQs and asking questions. For the most part, you can bring certain scary guns here provided they are configured in a specific way. CA is all about configuration.

For example, any semi automatic shotgun that accepts a detachable magazine is an AW and is illegal to possess in CA. Some shotguns have been banned specifically by name. Luckily the Saiga is not on the banned list. To get around the detachable magazine issue, CA gun owners use mag locks to remove the "detachable" feature. But, the PC also says that any semi automatic shot gun with a folding or telescoping stock and pistol grip is verboten as well... so if you have a folder you have to fix it if you want a pistol grip. Here is the flowchart: http://www.calguns.n...sgflowchart.pdf

...yes... the laws here are so fucked up... you need a flowchart to explain them... just like the founding fathers intended.

There is much to learn about CA and start doing your digging now. There is also a lot of FUD floating around on the interent. Calguns will be your best friend during your detention in the PRC.

www.calguns.net

Edited by lelandEOD

Rent a storage locker in Yuma with an alarm. Buy a contractor box with a good lock. Store your guns in free america. Don't tell anyone you have a storage locker ful of guns.

Edit: oh, yeah, don't forget to bolt the metal box to the concrete in some way. And insurance never hurts.

Edited by KevinInNM

Reconfigure as necessary, and definitely bring it with you.

No Registration/Reporting required for non-assault weapon long guns.

Do not bring any mags over 10rds into California, disassembled or not.

1. You are not required to report rifles or shotguns. You may not bring ammunition feeding devices with a capacity greater than ten rounds, machineguns, or assault weapons into California.
    • (PC sections 12001(n), 12072(f)(2))

Edited by ChileRelleno

1. You are not required to report rifles or shotguns. You may not bring ammunition feeding devices with a capacity greater than ten rounds, machineguns, or assault weapons into California.
    • (PC sections 12001(n), 12072(f)(2))

Soooo if i'm not required to report it... Then...

Of course I could let my parents in PA hang onto the Saiga for the time being, just have to buy some other toys while i'm there for two years. Unless my conscience doesn't win.

I would send them to my brothers,sisters or parents I won't take shit of mine to CA.

+1 on this idear!

That just gives the opposition exactly what they want... an unarmed citizen.

Not citizen... Subject!!! (If you don't believed me, ask the blokes across the water (Atlantic))

• Like 1

This is what I'm hoping for... that there is a military exemption policy. I'm really busy today, cleaning the garage, changing the oil in the vehicle, I gotta make my way to my FFL to pick up another weapon... Busy busy, so i'm checking in and out through the day so I have a clue if I'm accepting these orders to coronado on tuesday.

I hope the cards fall in your favor. Speaking of vehicles, doesn't Cali have some stupid inspection thing going on still? Let us know what you find out.

I strongly support the insurance idea no matter what you do. Since you're in the military you can get a policy through USAA. I've got my cars, house, wife's jewelry, and our firearms on policies with USAA and we really don't spend much on insurance. Thing is, you can set the insured value for each firearm. I'll put it to you this way, if the S-12 gets stolen, it'll be replaced by a Tromix or Lone Star at no extra cost to me...

And no flash hider on the saiga 12. Compensator is OK, combo door breech/flash hider is a no no.

well I have the polychoke w/breecher that appears to have a flash hider as well... so if i decide to not sneak the saiga into california, i'll need to completely disassemble it. Guess I'm gonna take it to PA and let my parents have my toy for a couple years.

As for insurance, I'm starting to swing towards switching all of my policy's to USAA. I've got great rates now, and i'll maybe save 5 dollars a year if i switch to USAA, but they will all be through the same provider, so it would be more convenient. I agree, the money put into this weapon would make it easily replaced by a Tromix, RJF, or Lone Star.

Evil Black, i'm pretty sure they do have crazy vehicle inspections... My silverado has cut cat's and borla xr-1's, I have a bad feeling about this.

I agree, and if they're anything like Virginia's inspections, they'll fail you for a check engine light, so make sure that you remove the bulb, er, I mean have your vehicle running correctly... I hear they do sniffers. The way I got around Virginia's inspections (because there is no way in HELL that my 'vette would pass any strict inspection) was to get new inspection stickers in my home state while on leave once a year... Valid Texas tags, valid Texas inspection, shoo pig don't bother me...

I agree, and if they're anything like Virginia's inspections, they'll fail you for a check engine light, so make sure that you remove the bulb, er, I mean have your vehicle running correctly... I hear they do sniffers. The way I got around Virginia's inspections (because there is no way in HELL that my 'vette would pass any strict inspection) was to get new inspection stickers in my home state while on leave once a year... Valid Texas tags, valid Texas inspection, shoo pig don't bother me...

Houston & Dallas metro areas require sniffers & OBD checks to get vehicle inspection stickers. Soon most major metro areas in Texas will require it.

Sorry the military exemption is not something your likely to obtain. IIRC, there is a provision in the PC for military personnel but it requires that the installation commander sign a form saying you need said weapon for duty. Good luck getting that.

What you need to do is join Calguns and start reading the FAQs and asking questions. For the most part, you can bring certain scary guns here provided they are configured in a specific way. CA is all about configuration.

For example, any semi automatic shotgun that accepts a detachable magazine is an AW and is illegal to possess in CA. Some shotguns have been banned specifically by name. Luckily the Saiga is not on the banned list. To get around the detachable magazine issue, CA gun owners use mag locks to remove the "detachable" feature. But, the PC also says that any semi automatic shot gun with a folding or telescoping stock and pistol grip is verboten as well... so if you have a folder you have to fix it if you want a pistol grip. Here is the flowchart: http://www.calguns.n...sgflowchart.pdf

...yes... the laws here are so fucked up... you need a flowchart to explain them... just like the founding fathers intended.

There is much to learn about CA and start doing your digging now. There is also a lot of FUD floating around on the interent. Calguns will be your best friend during your detention in the PRC.

www.calguns.net

I was on staff at COMNAVAIRPAC on Coronado and the above information is the BEST Advice you could get. You will NOT get any special treatment from the State of CA or the Navy... Do your homework first and the best thing you could do is let your family hold your Saiga and guns for you.

Best of Luck,

Steve

Actually it's totally legal to have disassembled "high capacity" magazines in CA. They're usually called rebuild kits and they're pretty common. You can even buy them at many gun stores. When the mags are disassembled they're just a bunch of parts and don't qualify as an ammunition feeding device. Just don't assemble them in state or you have comitted a felony.

And no flash hider on the saiga 12. Compensator is OK, combo door breech/flash hider is a no no.

Flash hiders are ok too as long as you have a mag lock. You can have all the "evil" features you want as long as you have a mag lock and you meet the length requirements. Definitely check out the AW flow charts on calguns.net and keep in mind that there are significant differences between semi-automatic rifles and shotguns.

CA is onerous, but you can still have fun here.

Actually it's totally legal to have disassembled "high capacity" magazines in CA. They're usually called rebuild kits and they're pretty common. You can even buy them at many gun stores. When the mags are disassembled they're just a bunch of parts and don't qualify as an ammunition feeding device. Just don't assemble them in state or you have comitted a felony.

Flash hiders are ok too as long as you have a mag lock. You can have all the "evil" features you want as long as you have a mag lock and you meet the length requirements. Definitely check out the AW flow charts on calguns.net and keep in mind that there are significant differences between semi-automatic rifles and shotguns.

Sure you can have fun there, if your idea of fun involves having the governments Cock in your ass!!!

Sure you can have fun there, if your idea of fun involves having the governments Cock in your ass!!!

I don't see how one could have fun if they are only allowed ten fucking rounds....