Opinions on using mags for compliance parts

As a newb I've been reading through this section for hints on conversions to bring my new zombie gun into compliance. I have US made 10rnd mags for my Saiga 12. I was planning on replacing the stock, fore grip, and screw on brake. I watched the CSS video on moving the trigger group and I almost think I could do it, well I'll have to think about that...

What are your opinions on using the 3 parts in the mag to bring the gun into compliance?

How long do I have to bring the gun into compliance, typically?

Also I have a pre-ban 7.62 "SAR-1 Sportster" I bought in the early 90's that is bone stock, do I need to worry about 922?

Thanks for the info

As long as the weapon stays bone-stock and you don't get any 'non-sporting' magazines for it, 922r isn't an issue for your SAR-1.

As I understand it, compliance is needed as soon as you take the weapon from a 'non-sporting' configuration, which includes high-capacity magazines. However, mere ownership of hi-cap mags is not considered a violation. Putting them in the weapon is.

Personally, the farthest I would go towards using magazines for compliance would be making my own floorplates, so that I could then 'braille' them for ammo type. Otherwise, I would prefer to be compliant without a magazine in the weapon, so that I can use any magazines from anywhere.

You only have to be concerned with 922r if you want to attach a pistol grip or run mags that are higher than 5 round capacity.

To answer your initial question, though, I don't personally like relying on the mags to bring your gun into compliance. Restoring your S12 to its intended configuration is quite easy to do, requiring minimal actual 'smithing'. All you have to be able to do is drill out a few rivets and have some patience, and you will have a firearm that is 922r compliant with no regard to what magazine you decide to use in it. It will also be balanced better and your trigger pull will be greatly improved.

Generally speaking its cheaper to swap gun parts then mags.

Sometimes you want to have a particular configuration, like full imported furniture. Then you pretty much have to use mags for compliance, or at the very least a few parts of the mags.

Other then going for a special look, or special features. Gaining compliance on the rifle or shotgun itself will be cheaper.

Well it really depends on what kind of gun you might have. In my case, I purchased US hi cap mags for my Saiga .308, as there are no foreign surplus steel hi cap mags for that gun, so it's a done deal. The mag is 3 US parts. Now in the case of a MAK 90, I'd still use a US mag for 3 parts. It would totally burn me up to remove the excellent Chinese milled FCG & replace it with a cast US made FCG. I'll have a US mag around when the 922 inspection takes place. Wood is wood, & Ironwoods has an excellent product. GARY N4KVE

Edited by N4KVE