545. Vs 223

been researching this a lot myself,

from what I can tell, the 5.45 ammo can be bought as surplus ammo so it can be gotten pretty cheap,

the 5.45 round is considered to be a superior round due to its length, and design to yaw or flip quickly upon penitration

resulting in larger wound channel.

if you do a seach you can find some balistics tables

this quote from another forum is informative

"The 5.45 was designed to have the range and velocity of the .223 with 1/2 the recoil pulse. The hollow cavity in the nose and steel core behind it were designed to destabilize the bullet; thus, when it hits the target, it is quick to yaw (one yaw cycle is completed in half the distance as the 7.62 X 39). The long bullet yawing through the body causes severe wounds. The Afgans refered to the 5.45 as the "poison bullet".

I think the reason the 5.45x39 isn't more popular here in the US is because it has three groups of people rooting against it: 7.62x39 fans, .223/5.56x45 fans, and the anti "mouse gun" crowd who hate anything less than a .308 Win.

also check out this thread here.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/43439-how-do-545x39-ballistics-compare-with-223/

bear in mind that the velocities on the 5.56 are usually done with a 20" barrel, where as the 5.45 is done with the 16" one. at least with most commercially loaded ammo. there will be a difference in velocity at that point. but if both are shot from the same length barrel then the two are a stalemate in terms of velocity. and velocity will vary from lot to lot +/- a few fps in both calibers. but in the end, the 5.45 is a more consistant performer at any range and velocity, whereas the 5.56 needs to be at a certain speed to reliably fragment.

agreed, I have also found lots of contradicting data, some charts like the one I posted above on the 5.45 shows a 26 inch drop at 300 meters with a 200 meter zero,

several other charts only show a 13 inch drop????

Even 13 inches is too much. I forget exactly, but it is somewhere around 6 inches.

Thanks Guys. I decided to go with an IZ 340 from Atlantic firearms.

http://www.atlanticf...roduct1076.aspx

-Dan

Good choice. I have a 5.45 as well. Because it is so cheap to shoot, it has become my main rifle to train with. But, ammo selection being what it is I also plan on building out a .223 model and configure it the exact same way.

That is the main advantage of the AK platform, for me. One platform, one operating procedure and a caliber selection for virtually any task.

• Like 1

Thanks Guys. I decided to go with an IZ 340 from Atlantic firearms.

http://www.atlanticf...roduct1076.aspx

-Dan

Good choice. I have a 5.45 as well. Because it is so cheap to shoot, it has become my main rifle to train with. But, ammo selection being what it is I also plan on building out a .223 model and configure it the exact same way.

That is the main advantage of the AK platform, for me. One platform, one operating procedure and a caliber selection for virtually any task.

Cant Wait. It shipped out today! Gonna order me some izzy mags and a trigger group restore kit. Also restoring my brothers .223 tomorrow!