Converting standard hunter rifle stock?

Is it possible to do anything with the standard Saiga rifle stock after a conversion? I'm cheap and I hate to discard anything if it could be salvaged? Has anybody tried trimming the stock pistol grip off and patching up the mangled area?? Or would that end up costing more than a replacement stock?

I know someone filled up the stock with some kind of poxy to make it a little heavier and then reshaped the whole stock and paint it.

How much epoxy/bondo does it take to make it a made-in-USA stock?

I think the only way to make a part count as US made is if you change the function of the part. For example, if you took a Canadian made 2x4 and changed it to function as a stock, it would be US made. If you take a WASR stock and re-finish it, it is still foreign made because the function did not change. I'm not a lawyer, but I think this is correct.

Sigh, forgot about the parts count. Oh well just use my pocket knife and carve one out of some scrap lumberhaha.gif

You won't be the first. I did that as a place holder. It worked well enough that it stayed on for far too long.

there are pics in my gallery if you promise not to laugh.

Edited by GunFun

You can make a USA handguard out of a forign stock, because you have changed the function. You cannot make a forign part into a USA part if it still retains the origional function. In my example, the new USA handguard would still be a forign butstock if it could STILL be installed as a butstock. If the part that attached to the rear trunnion was sawed off, then it would count as a USA handguard.