Can anyone offer opinions on the durability of adjustable stocks?

I just got my first Saiga on Friday.. started planning my conversion tonight. One issue I have is that I am 6'6" and my wife is 5'2". I'd like an adjustable stock that would allow both of us to use the rifle comfortably.

I've never owned anything with a plastic stock before, let alone and adjustable plastic one. I can't shake the feeling that they will be flimsy.

I was looking at the Tapco T6 and the price is right.. how do they hold up to use/abuse? Can anyone recommend a beefier product? Am I underestimating the strength of these plastic stocks in the first place?

You are indeed underestimating the strength of plastic stocks. But don't just buy the bolt on T6, save a bit up and do a basic conversion.

The trigger will be 100 times better and you will like it a lot more. I used the basic adjustable Tapco stock on mine for about a year and a half before upgrading to a folding/ adjustable stock. The conversion is easy, you won't regret it.

​ Welcome to the forum/new addiction!

I use the "Tapco 6" (I am cheep SOB) on my S308 and S12, both have held up well.

The S12 has had about 500 rounds and does not show any sign of wear or tear.

Let others chime in before you make a pick.

I use the "Tapco 6" (I am cheep SOB) on my S308 and S12, both have held up well.

The S12 has had about 500 rounds and does not show any sign of wear or tear.

Let others chime in before you make a pick.

Mines 7.62x39, not that I think it would make any difference here. I didn't buy it to treat it gently.. one of the things that I like about the AK platform is it's durability so I'd hate to compromise that with a crappy stock. If I need to save my pennies to pick up something tougher I will.. but I am a cheap SOB as well so I'd prefer not too!

You are indeed underestimating the strength of plastic stocks. But don't just buy the bolt on T6, save a bit up and do a basic conversion.

My plan was to do the entire conversion all along, I'm just trying to decide what sort of furniture I want on it first!

After buying my Saiga and a few hundred rounds I still have 200$ left in the budget for conversion parts. There is no real rush, if another hundred makes a big difference in the quality of the parts I can put on it I'm happy to wait a paycheck or two until I can put the extra cash into it.

But I'm seeing conversion kits out there with the T-6 that are well under my 200$ budget. Something like this:

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-450/SAIGA-RIFLE-CONVERSION-KIT/Detail

Then AFAIK I just need a bullet guide and some AK mags and I'm good to go.

But then I look at this kit..

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-1175/VLTOR-EMOD-SAIGA-CONVERSION/Detail

and I think "Why is it twice as much?" Possibly because that stock is twice as awesome?

I enjoy twice as awesome and am happy to save up the extra coin if the difference is significant!

• 2 weeks later...