Anyone cut down their barrel?

This is a dumb question and my first post but according to the batfe as long as the gun stays over 26in can't you cut down the barrel down more than 18 and still be legal?

Under the National Firearms Act (NFA), it is illegal for a private citizen to possess a sawed-off modern smokeless powder shotgun; a shotgun with a barrel length shorter than 18 inches (46 cm) or an overall length shorter than 26 inches (66 cm), without a tax-paid registration

well the question is can the barrel be shorter the 18in as long as the overall length stayes at least 26in

You answered your own question. Reading pwns you

Edited by WhiskeyMinion
  • Like 1

It can be confusing...either the minimum barrel length (18" shotgun, 16" rifle) "or" minimum OAL defines NFA status, not regular legal status. If one of the two measurements is less than the minimum then the firearm is SBS/SBR.

Edited by tunnelrat

Someone might have mentioned it but I'm skimming as I get ready for work, but someone early on in this thread asked about who would SBS an already converted gun. I too am having trouble finding someone to accept my S12 because I converted it myself and had the bolt worked on by Mr. Paul. I was so excited when I got her that I didn't even stop to think about that aspect. If someone could point me in the right direction that would be awesome, but if not I guess I'll just have to get another S12....oh damn... lol *kicks at the dirt*