Drum or stick mags?

well, factory 5s and 8s function the best, but it seems drums function better than surefire and agp stick mags, but if your gun is slightly undergassed it could have trouble with drums especially on the first 2 rounds

sorry, i thought this was in the s12 forum

Edited by Russian Hammer

Nobody really knows how the drums perform. I'd like to get one but am not going to put out that kind of $ if it doesn't hold/feed 00/000 buck.

Hopefully someone can chime in soon

I'd go factory 10 rounders over drums right now because they will run everything. My SureFire 15's have been good to me so far after a little work though

Nobody really knows how the drums perform. I'd like to get one but am not going to put out that kind of $ if it doesn't hold/feed 00/000 buck.

Hopefully someone can chime in soon

I'd go factory 10 rounders over drums right now because they will run everything. My SureFire 15's have been good to me so far after a little work though

What kind of work did you do to get them run right?

I like the surefire 15rd mags with a mag coupler. It is a lot less bulky than a drum and handles the same number of shells with only a second or so to change mags. I've never shot the drum but I had a black dog machine 10/22 drum that functioned awesome but over time I decided I liked stick mags better. They are easier to carry, store, and shoot. Easiest answer, get both.

I will use the 4 rd mag if I want to be assured of 100% reliablility with the steel cased slugs and buck.

The domestic shotshells do just great in it with the factory 10 rd mags, the prodiz 10 rd counter mags, the SGM 15 rdrs, and the drums.

My gun is a '99 model K-USA imported 3" mag only.

It has also had the barrel hood modified before I owned it, by an idiot who shortened it in his atempt to "fix" some feeding issues it had with some ammo. eyes_droped.gif

My primary use will be as a dove / squirel gun. Secondary use will be self defense. Obviosly if I have a feed issue hunting it's not the end of the world, but in self defense mode it's an issue. So it sounds like factory 4rd or 10rnd for steel case stuff, Surefire / SGM for domestic shells.

Anyone feeding steel cased buck/slug through the drums?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah I was slightly aggravated going to the range the other day. Bought some 3" 000 buck (can't remember the brand think Remington) and they wouldn't fit in either the drum or the 10rd mag. Fit the factory 4rd just fine though. They were a good 1/4" too long so next time I'll be sure to measure before buying.

Yeah I was slightly aggravated going to the range the other day. Bought some 3" 000 buck (can't remember the brand think Remington) and they wouldn't fit in either the drum or the 10rd mag. Fit the factory 4rd just fine though. They were a good 1/4" too long so next time I'll be sure to measure before buying.

I found that 3" inch Winchester PDX1 won't work with the drum or mag but the 2 1/2" does and feeds fine in my gun.

• 9 months later...

I just went to load my drum for the second time since I got it new with the first being a little 15 round burst. Pushing round #27 in and loud spring noise and no more spring tension. I don't dare take it apart incase that causes warranty problems. I've emailed promag but due to the current gun/ammo fiasco they are 7-10 days out and their phone is useless...leave a message for a full mail box. Granted it is Saturday. If there is an easy fix in the meantime I'd love to hear it!

Contacted CSS (Greg is freakin awesome at getting back) and he let me know I wouldn't void the warranty by taking it apart to take a look and retrieve my rounds. Spring had come out of the little hole the end fits in the wheel part of the mag. It is bent at one end enough that it won't go back in. Hope Promag is good with their warrranty. I'll update with how it goes getting a new spring or new drum. Thanks for the replies fellas!

• 2 weeks later...

Still haven't heard back from ProMag. Sent e-mail on Dec 22nd and have called several times but the generic voice mail is always full. The last time I called on the 3rd or 4th it still had the msg that they would be closed until the 2nd going. I'll have to try to call again this week if I dont' get an email reply.

• 2 weeks later...