Looking for a gunsmith for conversion work.

Just picked up my first Saiga, actually my first three firearms, in the last week. Before it has even made it here I have been bitten by the conversion bug. I contacted Tromix, awesome guy with a great product, but I don't know if I have the patience to wait a year depending on my placement on the list.

Anyone have any suggestions for a top notch gunsmith that can do the work with the parts I provide?

Speaking of which any real idea on a top notch conversion kit? I have been looking at the Carolina kit and it looks nice, but I need a foreguard and wasn't sure which tri or quad system to go with.

Thanks,

Mike

Look through the forum vendors here on the sight, there are many that have a good reputation and they offer a wide range of sevices. If you just want a basic restoration of the trigger moved forward, do it yourself, very easy!

(these threads are very common around here, so I will try and anticipate your response to doing it yourself)

You, "I am not a gunsmith or mechanically inclined and am afraid to do it", this is not a legitimate reason to not convert yourself, it is a very simple process and after doing the work yourself you will have a much better understanding of your gun.

Welcome to the forum and start reading all the information you would ever need is here, there are many knowledgable people that will lend a hand as well.

Staying away from the whole fix the gun myself for many reasons. While it might be an easy fix, not willing to risk my rugged good looks, lol, on the off chance I screw even the easiest thing up.

I thought about looking at the Vendor section, but wanted to stay away from the ads stating that they are the best and here are the reasons why.

Just wanted unbiased opinions from people that have had first hand experience with the gunsmith/conversion shop.

Thanks for the input.

Staying away from the whole fix the gun myself for many reasons. While it might be an easy fix, not willing to risk my rugged good looks, lol, on the off chance I screw even the easiest thing up.

I thought about looking at the Vendor section, but wanted to stay away from the ads stating that they are the best and here are the reasons why.

Just wanted unbiased opinions from people that have had first hand experience with the gunsmith/conversion shop.

Thanks for the input.

You really are not in any danger converting it yourself, if you had to do anything with headspacing or replace a bolt or something, then yes, I would have a gunsmith do it as well. There is nothing involved in a basic conversion that would put you at risk.

You should watch some of the Carolina Shooter Supply videos on the conversion process and you will see how easy it really is.

Are you looking for a basic conversion or something more complex, polishing, re-finishing, etc. I think most people would recommend a different builder depending on what type of work you want done

I just want it to run properly. I have read, and reading can actually be a bad thing, about rifles not cyclying properly, abut having the gasport worked on, etc, etc.

The list of things I would like, and I am sure I am missing some important items,

1. Saw grip and trigger installed and moved forward.

2. Magpul collapsing stock installed (or something like it)

3. Quad Rail installed with HK sites

4. Barrel shortened, but brake installed to be 18" OAL

5. Anything else I am missing? Like I said, I have been after this for all of a week and I am sure I am missing the obvious.

I will look at the videos. Thanks.

If you are going to shorten the barrel, then I would suggest having that done by a smith. I can't give you a personal recommendation on who to send it to, but I would trust any of the forum vendors. If you could find a local smith to chop the barrel for you, the rest of the work could be performed by you. There is even the possibility of finding another forum member that lives close to you that could help you out as well. There is a regional section you could post in to try and find someone locally to help you.

I just took mine apart this evening, they're really simple to work on. I It was really easy to do, I reused the trigger guard and the spot weld on the front as well as the rivets holding the plate on were harder to drill/dremel than I expected, just took a bit of patience and finding the right bit. I'm sure a reputable local smith could take care of anything you want done though.