For Those Considering Poly-Coated Ammo For Long-Term Storage

Was surprised to find this inside of a newer box of Uly while at the range. All of my ammo is stored inside (in my bedroom, as a matter of fact) so it wasn't subjected to any excessive moisture or anything. It still fired just fine, but I'd be wary of keeping any polymer coated ammo for longterm storage if it's not sealed or in a spam can.

55a5d984.jpg

I have some surplus corosive 7.62X39 ammo in the garage unsealed in brown paper wrappers for 18 years, They still worked. But if I was going to stockpile ammo I would keep them sealed in the Spam Cans inside the wooden crates.

I have a surplus 20mm can that I use. With my pistol ammo In a fifty cal can

Inside. Go to a pharmacy and ask for dessicants my girlfriend works at a pharmacy and says they get thounds in pill boxes and they just throw them away. I have a bunch in my cans and the pull the moisture out wonderfully

Bedrooms are horrible storage areas! The enviroment is contaminated by moisture from the resperation of the large mammals who live there as well as the dust from shed skin and hair, fibers and dirt off of clothes and probably even nocturnal emissions! Get a more controlled evnviroment to store firearms and ammo!

I also use .50 cal ammo cans with a cup of Tidy Cats silica crystals poured in a foot long piece of nylon panty hose stocking that is tied off in a knot on the open end. I fill the ammo cans with 1000 rds., and lay the sock on top of the rounds. Every couple or so months, you can take the stockings out of the cans, and dry them out in an oven on the lowest heat setting for a couple of hours ( I use my dehydrator ). No rust yet!

• Like 1

Was surprised to find this inside of a newer box of Uly while at the range. All of my ammo is stored inside (in my bedroom, as a matter of fact) so it wasn't subjected to any excessive moisture or anything. It still fired just fine, but I'd be wary of keeping any polymer coated ammo for longterm storage if it's not sealed or in a spam can.

Polycoating is useless.

I'm really liking the yugo surplus. Only negative aspect I've noticed is that the primers seem a little hard. Had a couple rounds that failed to fire. Upon comparison with the Tula, the dent did not appear as deep on the yugo as it did on the tula.

I'm really liking the yugo surplus. Only negative aspect I've noticed is that the primers seem a little hard. Had a couple rounds that failed to fire. Upon comparison with the Tula, the dent did not appear as deep on the yugo as it did on the tula.

I've had the same experience. Out of about 100 rounds I had about 4 FTFs, which is way to high for comfort for me. I'm sticking with Uly from spam cans or Golden Tiger from now on.

Edited by W8lifter

I've had the same experience. Out of about 100 rounds I had about 4 FTFs, which is way to high for comfort for me. I'm sticking with Uly from spam cans or Golden Tiger from now on.

Love me some Golden Tiger. so does my AK! :)

I put all my ammo is surplus ammo cans, and keep it down in my basement. some of the ammo I bought is 5+ years old, my RPD drums are all loaded and put in a mortar ammo can, not one round shows any signs of rust/corrosion, as with any of my ammo. my suggestion invest in some surplus ammo cans and keep the ammo in that

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

Some time, in the near future, I was planning on spending a day on vacuum sealing a bunch of poly coated Wolf Mil Classic with Sapsan bullets that I have. Maybe six boxes per bag, with a desiccant pack? A friend of mine took a box of that stuff out hunting deer with his SKS (yes, I did tell him to buy some nice SPs and yes, he can be a stubborn and cheap dumbass) and when he got back, some rounds were rusted.

Edited by SpetsnazGRU

Sportmans guide has had this buy one get one free for awhile now. It is a great deal, especially when they have free shipping w/ no min purchase. Or as a member when they send you 10$ off no min order.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/used-us-50-cal-ammo-can.aspx?a=805552&pn=2&rid=10&WT.tsrc=AFF&WT.mc_id=k351838

I've got about 10 of these and they are normally in great shape. Fill with ammo, and some dessicant and no more worries.

• 1 month later...

Been shadowing the Saiga-12 forums for a while now, figured I'd finally add something to the discussion.

Living on the Gulf Coast as I do, humidity is a big issue down here. I've seen the big dessicant packs go bad in three days in my gun safe (stored in an air-conditioned area), but that may have more to do with my safe's lack of an effective air seal. Need to fix that...

Anyway, dessicants have the advantage of being reusable and in an airtight metal container with effective sealing, they appear to work well.

An article advocating long-term ammo storage using dessicants:

http://survivalblog.com/2008/03/letter-re-advice-on-long-term-1.html

Interestingly enough, the author warns against using a vacuum because bullets may become unseated by pressure differentials inside and outside the bullet casing. Any input from vacuum sealers?

Reply to above article regarding the use of oxygen absorbers and mylar bags to store ammo:

http://survivalblog.com/2008/03/letter-re-advice-on-long-term-2.html

Oxygen absorbers and mylar bags are commonly used for long-term food storage, and some of you will likely be familiar with their use.

Conclusion: If a weapon or ammo is to be cached, i.e. stored and left alone for years, a suitable container using mylar bags and oxygen absorbers may be ideal. If the stored items may be exposed to air periodically, reusuable dessicants appear to be more effective.

I wonder if some of these are coated at all. I had a batch of Tulammo .223 that was supposed to be poly coated, but it appeared to have no coating at all and had lots of light surface rust, just like the OP. Many of the rounds would get stuck in the chamber. I finally took to polishing each and every round when loading mags.

Next, I bought a case of Wolf MC .223. It definitely had a good poly coating and has run flawless so far.

There is a product called Bloxigen. It is sold to use in paint and stain cans so they do not set up when storing partial cans long term. Put ammo in zip lock bags and add some Bloxigen. Shield gas from your welder will work too. For your safe, wire two light bases in series and use a thermostat set at 80F with 40W bulbs.