What's the best solvent to use for cleaning corrosive residue

Well.....how about cleaning the right-angle gas port that comes off the top of the barrrel...makes a right-hand ( or shallow-angle) turn...and ends up as the spigot that thr removable gas tube fits in.

How do you clean THAT area out ????

The boiling water is sufficient. Once in a blue moon, you can use a special tool for cleaning the gas port.

What kind of special tool?..... the Saiga ( and I think later AK-74's) have this piece at a bit more of a right angle than earlier versions where the angle is a bit more shallow and you maybe can get a pipe cleaner in it.

What kind of special tool?..... the Saiga ( and I think later AK-74's) have this piece at a bit more of a right angle than earlier versions where the angle is a bit more shallow and you maybe can get a pipe cleaner in it.

I haven't yet tried it myself, but google:

AK Gasport Cleaning Tool Part #TOOAKA01

I see the ad and the picture of this "tool". It is simply a right angle rod, like an allen key. No idea how you are supposed to use this. Seems like you can only "clean" one end-face of the right-angle gas port....doesn't seem ( seeing how it is built), that you can clean the entire passage-way.

Edited by IPSC45

I've tried noodling a pipe cleaner in there with no luck.....maybe my technique is wrong.

I think I might just blast some carb cleaner ( with nozzle) down there with the muzzle "down".....so the "Stuff" doesn't drain back into the action, but instead,out of the muzzle.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Aerosol carburetor cleaner is my #1 solvent. Spray it down good, barrel and gas tube, rinse with water, scrub the barrel a little, patch dry and done. Carb cleaner is specially designed to remove carbon fouling and doesn't mess up paint finishes like brake cleaner does.

Edited by talaananthes
  • 2 weeks later...

I am cheap so for me it is boiling water followed with Ballistol plus any of you guys that took basic chemistry already know this. As mentioned a salt, NaCl or mercuric based in this case is dissolved by the compound H2O. Atmospheric oxygen and water content is what causes the reaction with ferrous metals catalysed by the hygroscopic nature of a salt. Simple chemical reactions. Be glad the O2 content of the air is only 21%. Put your gun after shooting corrosive ammo in a environment high in O2, say 50-80% and see what happens to steel. :)

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

so i just bought my saiga rifle chambered 5.45 used and the guy i bought it from had been using wd40 putting the rifle butt up then spraying wd40 down the barrell and gas tube giving a quick rub with the brush then some more wd40 to flush anything loose out and let it drain...thoughts?

WD-40 is for spraying down a wet gun until you can get home and clean it. Boiling water will get rid of corrosive salts, but unless you are shooting a shit load of it Hoppe's #9 works fine. Clean the WD out with hot water and then clean with any good gun cleaner and oil it.

• Like 1

i can see that gob, but i wouldnt use it primarily for a cleaner/lube. hell for corrosive ammo, all i use is beak free clp. works just fine in all 4 of my guns that i feed it too. never a problem with rust in the humid south.

but hell, i guess if it works, then fuck it. i try to coat all my guns' metal parts with tuff glide. but its expensive as fuck.

thanks guys upon further research i figured hot water to flush/rinse the barrel and gas tube possibly running a moist swab rerinse then then blow it all out with a air compressor to dry the water maybe a quick shot of wd40 to help get out any excess water blow that all out then giving it a gd amount of clp and spray again with air compressor to blow the lube down into all the lil hard to reach spots....would this be good?

I use synthetic motor oil for lube, it is made to penetrate the metal and dissolve salts and acids into solution and displace water. The hot water I save for first cleanings of new to me guns, after that I mostly use Hoppe's #9 and re oil. I generally leave bores wet and run a dry patch thru when taking them out to shoot. With chrome bores, none of this is necessary.