Gunsmith needed to perform conversion on Saiga 12

So I keep putting off the conversions to my Saiga 12 for the past couple of years and now with no time to do them I have convinced myself that I need to just pay someone else to do this or it will never get done.

So what I needed to know if anyone on this forum knows of anyone that does that type of work here in Western Washington?

Lee

You should do the conversion yourself. I went into my first conversion with little confidence thinking i was in over my head but it turned out to be an enjoyable and very educating experience. Renegade331 is also right about Gregg from CSS and his videos, they are insightful and they show you the full conversion process step by step.

Edited by Corruptz0rz
  • Like 1

I do my converstions with a dremel, hammer and 2 screw drivers, 1 flat and 1 philips. Only takes about 2 hours and thats waiting for the little bit of paint on the bottom to dry. Do your disassembly and stripping the day you order your parts. When your parts come in, you'll just have to put them together. I just did one today and it only took about an hour or so to get it put together. Longest part was dealing with the BHO because I was using a dental pick and my meat hooks to put the spring in. LOL!

If you don't feel comfortable doing it don't, it will bee cheaper in the long run.

Seriously? It's removing two pins entirely, assembling an FCG that only goes together one way and only fits in the hole one way, inserting a hammer and spring, and then a shepherd's crook or equivalent...

It's basically legos, how would it "bee" cheaper in the long run? It's the cheapest way to convert! Now reliability tuning, re-profiling, and polishing is where you can really run into trouble but that's only $100. I'm not understanding the problem here, it's not like this is an AR-15 or 1911.

• Like 1

If you don't feel comfortable doing it don't, it will bee cheaper in the long run.

Seriously? It's removing two pins entirely, assembling an FCG that only goes together one way and only fits in the hole one way, inserting a hammer and spring, and then a shepherd's crook or equivalent...

It's basically legos, how would it "bee" cheaper in the long run? It's the cheapest way to convert! Now reliability tuning, re-profiling, and polishing is where you can really run into trouble but that's only $100. I'm not understanding the problem here, it's not like this is an AR-15 or 1911.

it will bbe cheaper than having to have someone else fix somthing that gets messed up. I will not argue with you about how easy it is to do. I did mine, no problem. I think changing my oil is easier than this conversion and I can give you a very long list of people I wouldn't recomend attempting it.

If you want to take the time to learn how to perform it, great go for it. If not let someone who will do it flawlessly.

it will bbe cheaper than having to have someone else fix somthing that gets messed up. I will not argue with you about how easy it is to do. I did mine, no problem. I think changing my oil is easier than this conversion and I can give you a very long list of people I wouldn't recomend attempting it.

If you want to take the time to learn how to perform it, great go for it. If not let someone who will do it flawlessly.

Cool, I can respect that.

I did mine - first Saiga 12 conversion. It's easier than a Saiga rifle conversion (no need for a bullet guide). If you take your time, read, double-check, verify, re-verify, measure, measure again BEFORE you take any major step, you'll be fine. I was the same way and took a lot of nerve knowing that I could destroy a $600 gun. However, once I got started, it's not at all hard - just take your time.

IMG_2644.jpg

Edited by cgp
  • 2 months later...

For RED333 - next on the list is the Saiga 308. I dont think I will move the trigger group as I like it as a hunting rifle but definitely need to get a better trigger in there.

For Saiga Newbie - the conversion was not difficult. But for my first time I forgot a few things that ultimately made me waste time. For one I used the CSS kit and was basing my build off of his videos. The first thing I forgot about was with the pin retaining plate you need to either order the modified bolt hold open plate or dremel out a notch in the original. This I forgot about so as I put everything in I wasn't able to install the safety lever therefore I had to remove everything and modify the bolt hold open plate then reinstall everything again.

The only way to get a better trigger is to convert, the S308 trigger is a whole nother bird.

It is not canteleverd like the S12, when you take it apart you will see.

We need a "dislike this" button...

If you had legos as a kid, you can figure out a Saiga-12 shotgun...

I agree, Sure, there are some folks that are more technically proficient than others on here, but I know people that cannot change their own oil on their car and have done a conversion. It's the fear of the unknown and not having any confidence in themselves that stops people. This isn't like tearing down and rebuilding a Porshe, it really is caveman easy!! Good thing the early explorers didn't have that attitude.

And I understand not wanting to mess up a $600 shotty, but with the videos and ALL the info on this website, there's NO reason not to do it, unless you are wanting to resell a non-converted one later. BUT you can never experience the pure unadulterated joy that I felt earlier today when I got mine running like a top and eating everything that you fed it!! I had to come in and smoke a cigarette! LOL

Edited by unclejake
  • Like 4

For Soupcan and Caged you do realize that I eventaully did do the conversion myself. It really was never an issue with the technical capabilities to do the conversion but rather time was the factor that kept me from pushing off the conversion.

I wouldnt do it myself either man and its not as easy as it looks. I think some on this thread are far more technically inclined than others. If you mess it up you may ruin your shotgun.

It amazes me how many people are scared to drill out a couple rivets. I have learned so much from this forum. If you convert your s12 i guarantee you will have enough confidence to work on your other weapons.

• Like 1