Does anyone know how short you can cut down a Saiga 12 barrel (mine originally 19” from factory) before you start seeing any cycling problems with bird shoot? Reason for me asking is I wanted to buy a Tromix Monster break and have my local gunsmith (also a class 3 dealer) cut down the barrel to 15” then permanently weld the 5”+ compensator.

Others have done this but have made the overall length 18” but have had problems with cycling birdshot. Id like to shorten the barrel just enough to cut some inches off but not compromise cycling, then weld that puppy on to legal + length. If I do not go with the Tromix Monster break, what would be second best for recoil reduction? Tromix mini-brake maybe?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/archive/index.php/t-502060.html

“…with the shortened barrel it will not cycle birdshot even on setting 2.”

I went with the Shark brake, so the barrel was cut to aprox 16" and then added the 2+" of the brake to be a legal 18 1/4". Shark brake helps keep muzzle down, but blows all of that smoke backwards (cough, cough). I have never had an issue with the recoil, and I am but a wee 150lbs. Granted that is 150lbs of Twisted Steel Sex Appeal, but none the less, holding the S-12 tight in the shoulder makes it feel like just a little shove.

Edited by RobRez
  • Like 1

I went with the Shark brake, so the barrel was cut to aprox 16" and then added the 2+" of the brake to be a legal 18 1/4". Shark brake helps keep muzzle down, but blows all of that smoke backwards (cough, cough). I have never had an issue with the recoil, and I am but a wee 150lbs. Granted that is 150lbs of Twisted Steel Sex Appeal, but none the less, holding the S-12 tight in the shoulder makes it feel like just a little shove.

Was youre S12 originally 19" or longer? Lol, Im not that far behind ya, Im 165lbs. So no problems with birdshot with you correct? if so then I could assume that 16" is still ok to cut and not comprimise birdshot cycling.

Yes. Mine was also a 19" and shoots bird shot well. A real tight shoulder weld makes even doing 20 round dumps with slugs a good time.

I have had to adjust my gas between load types though. Depends how gunked up I let it be.

I don't believe there's any real good answer because there's so much variation in these guns and their level of function with light loads. I'd just cut it to whatever length + break that you want, then address any cycling issues you have by adding or increasing the size of your gas ports if needed.

BTW, these threads need to be started in the Saiga 12 section, not the general section.

Edited by Risky

I don't believe there's any real good answer because there's so much variation in these guns and their level of function with light loads. I'd just cut it to whatever length + break that you want, then address any cycling issues you have by adding or increasing the size of your gas ports if needed.

BTW, these threads need to be started in the Saiga 12 section, not the general section.

Will do, thanks.