Dumb magazine question

Will an unconverted saiga 5.45 accept a military surplus AK74 magazine?

Yes and I have yet to put in a bullet guide in mine and it has shot 100% I will put a bullet guide in some time, Also unlike the 7.62x39 saiga it will accept surplus mags right out the box with no mods to mag or gun.

I think the angle of shoulder of the cartridges allows them to feed somewhat reliably without the feed ramp.

Yeah, that seems to be about right.

FWIW, my 45rd bakelite mags seemed to work fine without a BG. 30rd mags would jam on the last round. I popped a BG in, and the 30rd mags have been flawless, and I am much more confident in the gun even with 45rd mags now, even though they never specifically gave me an issue.

The BG is easy to install.. just do it. For that matter, the conversion is easy too.

As far as using this stuff in an unconverted gun .. that is a violation of 922r, and AFAIK there is no way to make a Saiga rifle 922r compliant with foreign mags without a proper conversion.

• 2 weeks later...

surplus mags would not fit in mine properly. my catch was too long. I've got it stripped right now waiting on something to smash rivets with.

I purchased a second 5.45 and had to hit the mag catch just a bit with a dremmel to get the mags to lock in properly (not near as much as I did on the 7.62 though). I did not have to touch the mag catch on the first5.45 rifle at all. The 5.45's are definately the easiest to get to working with surplus mags of any of the calibers.

Edited by TJohn
  • 3 weeks later...

Have only had trouble with hollow points catching, but only a few. Have not found a mag that would not work with mine yet. You have to work some new mags until the shave down to fit the mag well and catch. I put my new mags in and out about 25 times when I first get them. Then the fit perfect.

Will an unconverted saiga 5.45 accept a military surplus AK74 magazine?

Conversion only moves the trigger, trigger guard and pistol grip forward. The bolt, rails, hammer, and mag well and catch are not affected. If the mags don't fit you will have to decide to file down the mags, or the mag catch. Make sure you don't shoot yourself in the foot if you file your mag catch and file to much. Mags can be loose, but you don't want them to fall out! Modifying mags to fit the weapon is the best bet. Edited by TFALAMO