How do you clean your Saiga?

Pushing about 700 rounds through the gun so far, usually about 200 rounds a session.

After each session, clean barrel, gas tube, piston, bolt assembly, bolt and lower. Haven't done a detail strip for cleaning, not sure if it's needed. General oil in all areas and wiped down.

Just curious how many times people clean their rifles and of any tips anyone has?

Do people actually just throw all the parts in hot soapy water and then clean?

Heard some people talk about Windex, what's up with that?

First AK platform rifle but generally speaking keep all my guns clean after shooting.

Thanks

Sounds like you are on the right track.

You only need soapy water/windex(for ammonia) if you use corrosive ammo. Its to neutralize the salts that will corrode the rifle.

I basically clean all the same areas you stated. The pistol, bolt assembly, gas tube...etc.

Once in awhile I blow out the reciever with the air compressor. Ammo with the red seal around the primers make a hell of a mess.

Oil everything. Including an oily patch down the barrel.

• Like 1

cleaning?? an ak?? unless you are shooting corrosive maybe... ive put thousands of rounds through my wasr 10 and i just wipe down the outside with some gun oil, but i think i dont clean it internally just because i have to wonder how long it can go unscrubbed, to this day not one single misfire or failure of any sort. ever. uhhh and im lazy too lol

• Like 1

Pushing about 700 rounds through the gun so far, usually about 200 rounds a session.

After each session, clean barrel, gas tube, piston, bolt assembly, bolt and lower. Haven't done a detail strip for cleaning, not sure if it's needed. General oil in all areas and wiped down.

Just curious how many times people clean their rifles and of any tips anyone has?

Do people actually just throw all the parts in hot soapy water and then clean?

Heard some people talk about Windex, what's up with that?

First AK platform rifle but generally speaking keep all my guns clean after shooting.

Thanks

I clean everything you clean with Hopps #9 and lube. I have not had any problems yet. I have gone through 5000+ rounds of corrosive surplus ammo (sardine can). I notice that if I don't clean it for a few days. I get this rust like residue on the piston and gas port. I was told that the residue might be from the red seal on the bullet case. I just scrub it with solvent and a wire brush and it comes right off. Just be carefull scrubing around the black areas because it will take the black off.

Because my piston is all scuffed up, I don't really mind, It adds character. I started a thread on 5.45 forum, "What's the best solvent to use for cleaning corrosive residue". To find a better and faster way to clean. Folks are saying just using hot water works fine. I'm going to try that out next time to see how it works. Hope this helps.

One time I got onto the chat while cleaning, and asked the people if its supposed to take 3 hours or what gives.

I guess I detail the saiga after ever time I shoot it. I usually put 350 rounds through it every time I shoot it.

I take out the FCG and wipe down the inside real well, trying to get into all the corners above/below the rails, etc. I do this because some very light, yellowish rust looking stuff shows up after shooting, if I look at it under bright light. It shows up where the metal from the rails meets the reciever.

Then of course I clean the barrel as much as possible. I use carbon remover to clean every crevice, as well as the gas tube, bolt, gas piston, gas block, etc. The gas piston looks almost like new when I am done with it. I use a brass brush to remove the heavy solid gunk that builds up on the pistons face.

The part that takes the longest is the gas block. Its too difficult to reach to clean well. I use a brass brush bent into a U shape, attached to a brass pistol cleaning rod with a circle bend on the other end of it. Then I just stick it into the gas block and give it a scrubbing, also twisting it in there. Seems to work good.

Then I make sure to wipe down any cleaning residue that there might be, give a light coat of oil, and grease the parts that could benefit from it.

anger.gif Then I pet it, give it a kiss goodnight, and take it to my bedside before I go to sleep.

inb4 adverse reactions

i don't clean mine often either. usually once every few months or so. i am shooting non corrosive or i would clean immediately. i use hoppes solvent and nylon brushes. follow up with hoppes oil on the cracks and crevices, other wise i spray coat with remington oil.

Well when I dig it out of the ground, I take the dust cover off, piss in the action, rack it a few times and go about my business.

Lol but really, I take an oiled toothbrush over the chamber, ramp, FCG, all lower internals. Remove and clean gas tube with oiled toothbrush to get most of the residue but it's not gonna sparkle. Oil the piston then wipe clean with a rag, gets about 99% clean. Oiled toothbrush to bolt and bolt carrier and '74 brake, then run oiled patches through the barrel till they come out mostly clean if I'm in a hurry, otherwise I'll clean it spotless which happens most of the time. This is after I soak the barrel in oil starting when I get back to my house, then let it sit while I clean everything else. So I guess I pay most of my attention to the barrel.

Normally run my boresnake through after a couple hundred rounds. Then I wipe down bolt and carrier gas tube/block and lube the bolt stem and receiver rails with a tickle bit of 75-140 gear oil. No specific reason for the 75-140 it's just what I have laying around and I like a heavier flavor. Works for me

Remove and clean gas tube with oiled toothbrush to get most of the residue but it's not gonna sparkle.

some people recommend against this. if you use to much oil, it can plug the gas port when it heats up and holds fouling. i oil mine then wipe as much excess off as possilbe. i only leave a very minor amount.

Remove and clean gas tube with oiled toothbrush to get most of the residue but it's not gonna sparkle.

some people recommend against this. if you use to much oil, it can plug the gas port when it heats up and holds fouling. i oil mine then wipe as much excess off as possilbe. i only leave a very minor amount.

I do earnestly thank you for the tip. But I don't put much stock in "this and this could happen if you do this under these conditions" that one finds on the Internet. People will find hypothetical problems with others' methods and equipment simply because it's not theirs and they want to feel superior.

I do swab the port area with a cue-tip to take out excess debris and oil, but I'll believe oil and powder blocking the hole, which has enough GAS pressure coming through it to move a heavy bolt and carrier fast enough to throw my shells 20 feet when I see it.

• Like 1

I do earnestly thank you for the tip. But I don't put much stock in "this and this could happen if you do this under these conditions" that one finds on the Internet. People will find hypothetical problems with others' methods and equipment simply because it's not theirs and they want to feel superior.

I do swab the port area with a cue-tip to take out excess debris and oil, but I'll believe oil and powder blocking the hole, which has enough GAS pressure coming through it to move a heavy bolt and carrier fast enough to throw my shells 20 feet when I see it.

You can not take the tip from him. But it's truth. While it may never cause a malfunction for you there is absolutely no reason to oil the gas block/gas tube unless you are going to be storing the rifle... on your boat...that leaks...for ten years...

I clean everything you clean with Hopps #9 and lube. I have not had any problems yet. I have gone through 5000+ rounds of corrosive surplus ammo (sardine can). I notice that if I don't clean it for a few days. I get this rust like residue on the piston and gas port. I was told that the residue might be from the red seal on the bullet case. I just scrub it with solvent and a wire brush and it comes right off. Just be carefull scrubing around the black areas because it will take the black off.

Because my piston is all scuffed up, I don't really mind, It adds character. I started a thread on 5.45 forum, "What's the best solvent to use for cleaning corrosive residue". To find a better and faster way to clean. Folks are saying just using hot water works fine. I'm going to try that out next time to see how it works. Hope this helps.

The piston and gas port are supposed to be chromed (just like the chamber and barrel). Your gas tube would rust long before those.

One of my AK's had never been cleaned.. Didn't have a ton of rounds through it. Maybe 2,000 or so.. I cleaned it up all spiffy and shiny one day. Took it out shooting the next and got the first ever malfunction out of it, it's ever had in the life of the rifle.

One of my AK's had never been cleaned.. Didn't have a ton of rounds through it. Maybe 2,000 or so.. I cleaned it up all spiffy and shiny one day. Took it out shooting the next and got the first ever malfunction out of it, it's ever had in the life of the rifle.

As I've said, old habits are hard to break.

If a gun sits in my safe that hasn't been cleaned after shooting it, I start to hear it moaning that it needs to be cleaned and If I don't clean it, I'll slowly drive myself insane. Other than that, I'm pretty laid back LOL