7075 aluminum AK

Ive been kickin around a few ideas

one of the biggest compalints of a milled reciver is weight well why not make one out 7075-t6 aluminum which could cut the weight by a 1/4 or even in half

you could even make a bolt carrier out of 7075-t6 aluminum to make the gun cycle faster with a 1.5 or 2mm gas port with a wolf extra power recoil spring to keep the recoil down,

wich would keep more gas behind the bullet wich would help with accuracy

does any one know the cost of a 9inx3inx2in block would cost?

• Like 1

With all of the billet everything they are making now if it could be done, it probably would have by now.

It might be possible, but I don't know how much dimenions would have to change to keep the sides thick enough to be strong enough, and I wouldn't do the aluminum carrier idea. Even the AR kept that steel for a reason.

With all of the billet everything they are making now if it could be done, it probably would have by now.

It might be possible, but I don't know how much dimenions would have to change to keep the sides thick enough to be strong enough, and I wouldn't do the aluminum carrier idea. Even the AR kept that steel for a reason.

A lot of the people that have the equipment lack the imagination to try something that different.

I'd imagine that a poly AK could be made as well, just would need steel inserts in the right places.. But it would be a significant investment just to try the idea so odds are you will not see it happen.

Riveted construction isn't great with aluminum. It would end up with egg shaped rivet holes. Also steel can flex up to it's fatigue point pretty much for ever. AKs flop all over the place. You've seen the videos. When you flex or vibrate aluminum, it is stressed at a molecular level and develops cracks and fissures. That's why semis and airframes have a service life without even being pushed past their limits. With aluminum you would need to spread out the force over a broader area and have thicker material. Also it tends to gall, which means you would have issues with the rails.

Another issue is galvanic corrosion. Putting dissimilar metals together makes a battery and aluminum wants to be the anode. get some salts in there and some moisture and it will electroplate itself to powder. So you would need steel or stainless rails, barrel, trunions, bolt, carrier, ejector, FCG... I think plastic is actually a better option because it can distribute the shock better. Moreso if we were willing to give up the shape of the receiver, and just keep the function of the components. There is a ton of wasted space in this antiquated box design. It could go on a serious diet and still have thicker walls.

• Like 1

An aluminum receiver would be an excellent idea. While it's on the mill, some other improvements could be made like putting in some spring detent plungers to get rid of the shepherd's crook. I also like the idea of lightening the bolt carrier. Maybe the piston could be lightened too or even left off if it went with a direct impingement gas sys...

ohcrap.png

Edited by DrThunder88
  • Like 3

couldnt we use a metal treatment already in use for the barrel, bolt, and FCG to prevent galvanic corrosion.

and what if we eliminate most of that floping around? Do we really need chanels we can drive a semi through, or a over gassed system that causes the carrier to voiently slam into the back of the carrier for reliability? and I like the idea of a titanium piston that would be interesting

a couple designs i like is the sako 95 and the galil and even the new galil ace good ideas

wish i could ge a sako 95 or galil ace here in the us wet_eyes.gif

Edited by Blazer76
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

ok ive finished my wish list

First off I would have it chambered in 6.5 Grendal, the receiver would be drop forged and CnC milled out of 7075 or 6061 T-6 aluminum like the Sako 95, but with a saiga shot gun style straight in mag well with a AR style mag release, the rear of the receiver would be tapped for Ace or similar stock attachments, A Cadiz last round bolt hold open and ambidextrous button bolt release would be used and fitted, and Nickel Boron or Ceramic coated. The trigger guard would be part of the receiver and shaped like the Sako 95. The Bolt carrier would be milled out of 7075 or 6061 T-6 aluminum and also Nickel Boron or Ceramic coated for reliability. The bolt would be milled out of 158 carpenter steel and Nickel Boron coated. The barrel would be a match grade barrel from E.R. Shaw.

I would use a milled top cover modified to work with the Tech-sights AK rear sight and I would use a spring loaded pin that would go through the rear sight to keep the top cover in place , I would also use Davis Tactical Solutions left hand charging handle system.

For the gas system I would use a short stroke piston system like the vz2008, I would use a Galil style milled gas tube with a rail milled into the top that would fit perfect to the lightened Dez Arms adjustable gas block. I would use a Red Star Arms adjustable trigger with a sig style trigger face; I would use a JTE engineering extra power trigger spring. Wolf spring AK extra power recoil spring would be fitted. I would have an R&R racing ambidextrous AR style safety fitted

I want a piece of heavy wall aluminum pipe that forms the whole thing. Make the barrel attach like an AR-7 and have the locking lugs part of the barrel, and come with a matching head-spaced bolt , a mag-well,and recoil gas piston. One heavy monolithic receiver, Designed from jump street to be a base for complete caliber kits.Choose your pistol and rifle calibers you want, and the mag well that matches the mags you want to use. Make the damn thing bullet proof, make it IDIOT proof.Make the damn thing clean and cool itself.

Take the best part of an AK,an AR,and a Daisy Red Rider.

From AK-gas piston.

From Dairy Red Rider-piston pumps air.

From AR-direct Impingement. Change to indirect impingement.Cool clean air blows the breech clean and cools it.

From AR- straight line design. That one stays!

This should be as accurate as a target rifle and reliable as a 9 pound hammer. Designed to change calibers, and do it with a complete screw on, pre-head spaced kit including the mag well.

• Like 1

GOB that gas system sounds comlicated, how would it draw in the clean air?

3rdgear my ruger 10/22 steel bolt hasnt worn through the reciver yet and it has around 5,000 rounds throught it and there are many guns now that have steel bolts in aluminum recivers

the plastic is kinda cool but wood uh No lol, so are they yours? I think the plastic would'nt do well in Military trials though, maybe if it had a steel or aluminum skeleton

Edited by Blazer76

the plastic is kinda cool but wood uh No lol, so are they yours? I think the plastic would'nt do well in Military trials though, maybe if it had a steel or aluminum skeleton

Wouldn't that skeleton just transfer heat to the plastic?

why not just develop some kind of non metal material period? like above said...aks are simple and im sure..well..its out there its just not well known what material is a substitute for rough everyday military trial uses like for materials in a gun. just trying to think of such said materials give me a headache.

i like the idea alot, but like someone else said people have stuck to useing steel for a reason till there is a better substitute known.

None of these guns are mine.

I do have a plastic AR though...

I'm building an all carbon AR on a CAV arms receiver/buttstock with a bushmaster carbon upper. I'm trying to ge the completed gun down to 3 3/4 pounds without spending too much (a carbon fiber barrel w/steel liner would save a lot of weight) I may not succede and then I'll have to live with a 4ish pound squirrel gun.

The only metal parts are springs, barrel, buffer, bolt, carrier and some pins.

I still think AR's suck but I've shot a 4.25 pound one and liked it.

• Like 1

Why not put the effort into a Kel-Tec Su16... they start off less than 5 lbs.

I'm building it as a demo piece, basically it's gonna be light enough for a solid WOW factor. I do a little tinkering for coworkers and such and I've found that inviting them to try a neat gun is a great way to get initial interest. My Draco and Saiga are always range favorites.

Personally I would rather have a kel tec, but then what would there be to customize?

lol All this talk about these modern ideas for an AK system redone.

While it would be great to have a polymer reciever to work with that would be compatible with all stamped AK parts (since they are the majority of parts out there.), it reminds me of another rifle I own.

gallery_33361_710_1941920.jpg

Should such a receiver for an AK be made available and be reliable/safe. I'd love to get one and build with it.

And yes, seriously, it is a Gas Piston 7.62x39 AR. smile.png

Edited by ShadowFire
  • Like 1

lol All this talk about these modern ideas for an AK system redone.

While it would be great to have a polymer reciever to work with that would be compatible with all stamped AK parts (since they are the majority of parts out there.), it reminds me of another rifle I own.

gallery_33361_710_1941920.jpg

Should such a receiver for an AK be made available and be reliable/safe. I'd love to get one and build with it.

And yes, seriously, it is a Gas Piston 7.62x39 AR. smile.png

my understanding is that Rock River will be moding their Lowers to accept AK mags..... your wish might yet come true.

my understanding is that Rock River will be moding their Lowers to accept AK mags..... your wish might yet come true.

Oh I was talking about an available actual AK receiver to build AKs with. As far as my AR there, I'm quite happy with the mags I use. 30 rounds and it doesn't look like a frankenstein rifle with AK mags but used with an AR. Either way though, an affordable AR lower that uses AK mags will be a big win for consumers. Who knows, I might just buy one to swap the lowers back and forth just for fun. lol :D

I like the looks of the RR LAR-47 definitly heading in the right direction

can any one cut a bolt carrier out 7075 or 6061?

Im also wanting a gas tube/ hand gaurd system made

what I basicly want is a ultimak style gas tube with the factory gas tube reatainer so it doesnt have to use the bands

the lower hand gaurd would be like this http://store.carolin...rearm-Ar/Detail

but made to attach to the gas tube so that the front hand gaurd retainer would not be used and could be removed

oh and by the way Rock River is working on a poly 1911

Edited by Blazer76