Best Folding Stock?

I'm planning on converting my 223 soon and was wondering what opinions you all have on the sidefolders out there. I'll probably use one of the kits from CSS. If I get the Tromix stock, I don't know if I'll need the pussy pad, but I could dig it. It could swap it out with my S12, which has a fixed stock.

Also, what are your opinions on the SGM 223 mags? Dinzag claims you can use them without a bullet guide, which sounds convenient. I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of buying those or just installing a bullet guide and magwell and buying cheap STANAG mags for life.

:lol: 'pussy pad'. It's a .223 in an AK. Are you asking about the stock itself, or the folding mechanism? ACE is the best folding mechanism out there, followed closely by the original triangle folder. As far as mags go, the SGM mags are designed to be used by weenies too afraid or incompetent to take a dremel or real tools to their rifle. The feedlips present the cartridge in such a way a bullet guide isn't needed. Personally, I think the main reason to do a .223 AK is for the AR magazines. Otherwise, how is it much different than a 5.45?

I could just use the ACE folding mechanism with a collapsible stock, but I heard that could be a tough mod. I mainly wanted a side-folder to decrease length, but I'm afraid a thick collapsible stock might make the rifle too wide when folded too. I'd like to save on weight and space in general.

And I get your point completely about the mags. One of the main reasons I bought a Saiga 223 instead of an AR or other NATO-type 556 rifle is because those are typically a lot of money. I'd like to get an AR someday, so I guess it's better to just mod the Saiga with a magwell and bullet guide and buy a buttload of $10 metal STANAGs rather than a few $30 plastic SGM mags.

Edited by ScuseMePrincess

Hello

Haven't used one yet, but that new Ace adjustable that looks like it was bred by a Magpul mother and a SOCOM daddy looks like a bulletproof unit.

Comes with a seven-notch buffer tube and the SOCOM buttpiece complete with serrated hammer.

I'm thinkin' it's screamin' "S-17" every time I see one.

-guido

"God Loves Liberty"

I'm pretty partial to the romanian/east german folding stocks. I have one of each, they are pretty much identical except for the folding mechanism. One is a lever, one a button. They both work equally well. Rock-solid too. I wrapped some paracord on mine to make the cheek weld a little more comfy.

gallery_10376_237_13827.jpg

Floyd9.....how's that bipod? Yea/Nay...who makes it? etc.

Just a standard barrel-clamp bipod, you can find them at gun shows all the time, not sure who makes them. I didn't much care for that setup so I modified mine to mount onto the receiver, although I havn't figured out a workaround to get a handgaurd on there with the bipod :). It looks like this at the moment -

gallery_10376_237_12743.jpg

I like the receiver-mounted bipod too. My .308's attaches using the forearm screw under the receiver!

Haven't used one yet, but that new Ace adjustable that looks like it was bred by a Magpul mother and a SOCOM daddy looks like a bulletproof unit.

Comes with a seven-notch buffer tube and the SOCOM buttpiece complete with serrated hammer.

I'm thinkin' it's screamin' "S-17" every time I see one.

That Hammer or HMR stock does look pretty impressive. It looks a bit big and bulky, but I'd like to hear from end users.

I have the polymer hinged stock he shows here. It is solid!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ThioMNsZz0

Nice video. I will look into those Mako stocks. I can't really justify spending more money on the stock than I did the rifle itself, but that polymer one looks like it's just what I want. Does it require any modification to fit on a Saiga? I personally like the MD Arms Molot-style pistol grip. It's what I have on my S12.

Also, I heard Arsenal is going to start importing some more East German and Romanian wire folders to use with their new run of converted Saigas, but they might also sell the stocks individually in small quantities.

I found a place that has 8 East German wire folders in stock:

http://ak-builder.co...roduct_id=30144

Will this require modification to fit on a Saiga? I'm now seriously debating this one or the Mako stock since everyone says great things about these wire folders, and I'm afraid I might have a tough time finding it again if I wait. I'm just worried I won't be able to get a good cheek weld with it, especially if I try to use any optics.

Also, using these foreign-made stocks is annoying when trying to consider 922r. scorn.gif

I'm pretty partial to the romanian/east german folding stocks. I have one of each, they are pretty much identical except for the folding mechanism. One is a lever, one a button. They both work equally well. Rock-solid too. I wrapped some paracord on mine to make the cheek weld a little more comfy.

Nice looking gun, and good choice of magazines. And is that an AMD 65 pistol grip or something else?

I agree that the Romanian wire folders are a great no-hassle choice. Were you able to get the East German folders to work as well? I tried a Tantal stock once, but it did not really work with the Saiga trunnion; the lever had no tension. I assumed that the East German stocks were the same way, since the design of the mechanism is similar.

Floyd9.....how's that bipod? Yea/Nay...who makes it? etc.

Just a standard barrel-clamp bipod, you can find them at gun shows all the time, not sure who makes them. I didn't much care for that setup so I modified mine to mount onto the receiver, although I havn't figured out a workaround to get a handgaurd on there with the bipod :). It looks like this at the moment -

gallery_10376_237_12743.jpg

UTG makes a bi-pod that screws in to the swivel screw. I have it on my S308 and it's perfect.

Nice looking gun, and good choice of magazines. And is that an AMD 65 pistol grip or something else?

I agree that the Romanian wire folders are a great no-hassle choice. Were you able to get the East German folders to work as well? I tried a Tantal stock once, but it did not really work with the Saiga trunnion; the lever had no tension. I assumed that the East German stocks were the same way, since the design of the mechanism is similar.

Yea, but actually had to grind some metal for it to be able to lock in the closed position. Other than that it was fine, locks up great now and is rock-solid. Oh, forgot about the grip....while it looks cool IMO, the plastic it is made of doesn't allow you to tighten it to the pistol-grip nut very tight without destroying the innards. I honestly forgot where I got it, but it is an aftermarket part, and certainly not mil-spec. Looks cool yes, plastic is weak though. Not recommended.

Edited by Floyd9
  • 2 weeks later...

ACE folder, bolted to receiver adapter (cut the useless tang).

Magpul, VLTOR or other quality stocks on standard buffer tube (make sure you order both as matching sets: either "commercial" or "military").

CSS carries them all.

Not pimping my agenda, but rather sharing experience:

HYPERLINK