The Mag Review: SGM, ProMag, & AGP

the SGM mag doesn't work well with heavy loads.

In my experience they don't work period with heavy loads. I've broken 2 mag bodies in 5 rounds.

Before I get flamed my last warranteed mag body came with a letter saying I shouln't shoot "high brass loads" through their 3" mag. I will be trying some AGP's in the future

• Like 1
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have five older Surefire/SGM mags, DOM '09.   No such defects as you show, any injection point burrs got knocked down with a file sandpaper. And I could care less if they look snazzy or not, I li

My review Of my AKM 47 Upon rcieving my weapon I inspected it . It was obiously a cheaply made gun , Fit and finish were of very poor quality. Everything was loose and sloppy. When feild stripped it

Hey guys. My my review is going to consist of drinking 12 beers and throwing all my mags and drums against the wall and seeing which ones break the least to determine which brand functions the best i

Posted Images

In my experience they don't work period with heavy loads. I've broken 2 mag bodies in 5 rounds.

Before I get flamed my last warranteed mag body came with a letter saying I shouln't shoot "high brass loads" through their 3" mag. I will be trying some AGP's in the future

Really? Damn!

Care to post that, I'd love to see it.

Like I said earlier, I've never had a problem with mine.

As with a lot of products out there, not just gun magazines, it may have a lot to do with what production lot your particular product comes from. Some of these magazines production lots may have been molded using a higher amount of regrind than others. This would result in a slightly weaker structural integrity.

Really? Damn!

Care to post that, I'd love to see it.

Like I said earlier, I've never had a problem with mine.

Its known to happen. I've heard of people breaking AGPs also. that said I run a lot of 3" rounds, and have not had a issue with SGM or AGP.

I however can't own the 12 round mags so I cannot comment on those.

I also have 4 promags that don't work well at all.

YMMV

Its known to happen. I've heard of people breaking AGPs also. that said I run a lot of 3" rounds, and have not had a issue with SGM or AGP.

I however can't own the 12 round mags so I cannot comment on those.

I also have 4 promags that don't work well at all.

YMMV

Yeah, I know shit happens and things break.... Thats not what I'm asking about, I wanna see the letter from SGM.

]Yeah, I know shit happens and things break.... Thats not what I'm asking about, I wanna see the letter from SGM.

It got thrown away with the rest of the packaging. Twas just a small typed up card in the bag with the new mag body.

This is off their website

SGM Tactical recommends the use of heavy loads in it’s 2, 5 and 8 round mags only. Light loads can be used in all their mags regardless of capacity. For all Turkey loads please use the 2 or 5 round mags.

Hey guys. My review is going to consist of drinking 12 beers and throwing all my mags and drums against the wall and seeing which ones break the least to determine which brand functions the best in my gun. Results posted soon.

Another incomplete review! What kind of beer? How fast will you drink it? Concrete or sheetrock wall? Inquiring minds want to know.

Of course he would "shotgun" the beer..

That is indeed the correct answer. Good one.

BTW, I really shouldn't say this but it looks like someone got "tased".

I have 2 12 round SGM, 2 10 round SGM, 3 5 round Keepshoothing, and 1 5 round factory. All of my mags work just fine. SGM 12's were my first mag purchase for my S-12 and they worked fine. I like the look even though that matters the absolute least compared to reliability. There was a short time where I was getting hang ups in the 12 rounders but that worked itself out after some use. I had no desire to purchase any other magazines as these are enough for me. If i do, i'll likely buy SGM. I'm not saying they are better than AGP but that they work for me and I'm satisfied with them.

If you're going to post a review, do more than just look at the products. And... don't bitch when you don't like the replies that you get.

Real talk! It's like going to a car lot and choosing which car would be best for you without even taking a test drive...

Geez, what is it with the influx of know-it-all loud-mouthed new guys who really don't know much at all here recently?

It's sad that people attack posts without reading them. I'm not going to quote myself, but suffice to say that I covered the scope IN THE FIRST POST. Don't like my review? No problem, but don't expect me to care about your response or read it. If your lucky, I scan it.

Hey guys. My review is going to consist of drinking 12 beers and throwing all my mags and drums against the wall and seeing which ones break the least to determine which brand functions the best in my gun. Results posted soon.

Another incomplete review! What kind of beer? How fast will you drink it? Concrete or sheetrock wall? Inquiring minds want to know.

Good one!

Actually, I think we got trolled...

Says the troll posting about trolling.

I have 2 12 round SGM, 2 10 round SGM, 3 5 round Keepshoothing, and 1 5 round factory. All of my mags work just fine. SGM 12's were my first mag purchase for my S-12 and they worked fine. I like the look even though that matters the absolute least compared to reliability. There was a short time where I was getting hang ups in the 12 rounders but that worked itself out after some use. I had no desire to purchase any other magazines as these are enough for me. If i do, i'll likely buy SGM. I'm not saying they are better than AGP but that they work for me and I'm satisfied with them.

If you're going to post a review, do more than just look at the products. And... don't bitch when you don't like the replies that you get.

Real talk! It's like going to a car lot and choosing which car would be best for you without even taking a test drive...

Geez, what is it with the influx of know-it-all loud-mouthed new guys who really don't know much at all here recently?

It's sad that people attack posts without reading them. I'm not going to quote myself, but suffice to say that I covered the scope IN THE FIRST POST. Don't like my review? No problem, but don't expect me to care about your response or read it. If your lucky, I scan it.

Good one!

Actually, I think we got trolled...

Says the troll posting about trolling.

What the hell, I'm bored, I'll reply:

Hmmm, well there's me, 1200 posts and respected on the forum because I genuinely enjoy helping others with problems versus you, 10 posts and one "review" of three different mags without so much as firing a single shot or test fitting any of the mags into an actual weapon and in said "review" the Promag stick comes out on top... Wow, that's probably a first for them!!!

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with Promag drums as they seem to be the bee's knees and there are quite a few on this forum who have reported no problems with their Promag sticks so maybe their QC has improved... Ok, I can handle that.

Fact of the matter is, an improperly fitting mag or a mag that requires too much fitting to get to work in a certain weapon might be a good bit of information to have. Also, do the rounds nose-dive during fire? Well, we don't know now do we? I mean, that would indicate an improperly designed follower or a problem with the spring, but we'll never know....

Look, we all know what the mags look like, that's a "duh" moment there... but what true enthusiasts want to know is how they FUNCTION and for that review, I guess we'll have to rely on someone else who, oh I don't know, actually understands basic physics and that in order for a magazine review to be complete you must report on how the weapon functioned being fired with said mag.

Take your troll ass somewhere else, we don't need you here!

• Like 1

Best thing about this thread is the tits!

Well yes... there is that.

Take your troll ass somewhere else, we don't need you here!

+100

Your avatar says "click here if you like the boobs" but when I click it I end up at your profile? LOL I got caught liking boobs... kind of a booby trap Edited by defequisimo
  • 1 month later...

Those mags sure got purdee lips... so they must be gooooood mags! red_heart.gif

So on the basis of this review I just wasted more than $100 on the 4 10-round AGP mags I bought which fit perfectly and function flawlessly in my gun without modification. I must be purdee stupid for not seeing that... Just to be fair, I got a couple of SGM 8 rounders, and although they aren't as purdee to my eyes they seem to work. They are a bit tighter in the magwell... I don't have any Promags, yet, because the Promags I got for my Para-Ordnance .45 were so out of spec, they got stuck in the gun, and wouldn't catch the mag release. I had to Dremel them and squeeze them in a vice to get them to work.booo.gif But they did look good!

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

This place might be a ghost town now but I'll try anyway...

I currently, only have two Russian 5 rounders and two Promag 10 rounders. I was a lil sad when the Promags arrived because they pinched the shells at the top of the mag. I browsed around and researched and ended up on a thread where Pauly gave instructions on how to boil them in water and twist the handle of a hammer in the mouth of the mags to open them up. Unfortunatly my hammers were all too big or too small, but as it turns out I've never had a hiccup with either mag so it's whatever, I'm happy!

Now that I'm ready to buy two more 10rounders I started my research on AGP vs SGM and was very happy that the second hit brought me back here, but then I was sad that OP didn't even function test 'em. Complete waste of time aside from the entertainment value of watching everyone else rip in to him, so thank ya fellas ;)

Am I correct in understanding that although SGM mags don't have steel feed lips that the body is steel reinforced internally? And to be honest I started skimming so I'm sorry if I missed it, but does someone who's actually done some side by side testing between SGM and AGP have some detailed info to share?

Am I correct in understanding that although SGM mags don't have steel feed lips that the body is steel reinforced internally? And to be honest I started skimming so I'm sorry if I missed it, but does someone who's actually done some side by side testing between SGM and AGP have some detailed info to share?

ONLY the Russian magazines and the MD20 feature embedded steel reinforcements. I doubt domestic manufacturers would ever be willing to pass that cost on to consumers who, for the most part, just want cheap mags.

As much as I hate to say it, I only have the stock 5 round and 1 10 round SGM. Been busy spending on my new saiga 7.62....

I have hurled about 1500 rounds through the SGM, no issues. I really only shoot 2 3/4, except for some special shot in 3" my buddy had.

it hasn't broke yet and the feeder part of it is not dinged up at all. I fire mostly heavy loads.

I didn't look at it closely when I bought it, too busy loading it to pay attention to it.

• 3 weeks later...

I went ahead and ordered an SGM mag from CSS and an AGP mag from Arizona Armory (they had a Krebs rear sight for sale with out the front sight, and CSS didn't have any AGP mags). I haven't fired either yet, but I get off early on Wed and will probably stick around after I clock out and run them through their paces.

Just inspecting them at home, I took them both apart, and it seems that the SGM pinches the shell at the mouth of the mag, and the AGP doesn't. I don't think I'm too worried as both my Promags pinch the shells and I've yet to have an issue with either ofthem. I also loaded and stipped both mags, the AGP was much easier to load while the SGM seemed to bind up on the rim of of the shell if you didn't push down on it just so. Also not a huge issue for me since I don't really need to depend on manually feeding the mags as part of the weapon functioning. However, I also hand stripped the shells from each mag, and it seemed that upon stripping the second-to-last round from the AGP, the last one was spit flipping through the air... Kinda concerned how that will play out when it's the bolt stripping the rounds from the mag... I will follow up on an actual test in a few days though, and probably start a new thread on this topic since the OP failed to provide any real info.

edited for spelling

Edited by Goose

P.S.- Both locked into place with no fitting unlike either of the Promags, however the SGM has a much snugger fit. It is solid as a rock where as the AGP has a lil bit of side-to-side wiggle. But both the Promags have more wiggle than the AGP and again, haven't had a problem with them yet.