The Mag Review: SGM, ProMag, & AGP

Wasn't a complete waste, Chile actually had some really good info and advice. Unfortunately I don't have to funds to do a proper test, I'll just be comparing them based on one mag each. However if someone finds my info usefull I'll be happy, I've taken a lot from this place and not had much of anything useful to share other than opinions about buttstocks and such.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have five older Surefire/SGM mags, DOM '09.   No such defects as you show, any injection point burrs got knocked down with a file sandpaper. And I could care less if they look snazzy or not, I li

My review Of my AKM 47 Upon rcieving my weapon I inspected it . It was obiously a cheaply made gun , Fit and finish were of very poor quality. Everything was loose and sloppy. When feild stripped it

Hey guys. My my review is going to consist of drinking 12 beers and throwing all my mags and drums against the wall and seeing which ones break the least to determine which brand functions the best i

Posted Images

How did the mags run in your gun? Any problems with any of them? I've run some SGM 2, 8 and 12s without problems. I'm just curious as to your experience shooting with them.

I haven't owned them long enough to comment on performance other then to note the SGM mag doesn't work well with heavy loads.

You deserved to me TASED bro for doing a evaluation on products without performing a operational check of the equipment you're evaluating.

Which one is the prettiest mag is all you're giving your opinion on.

Another thread from the dead.

Edited by Jetmech

please do goose im broke as fuck and just decieded to read this post iv been seeing.

i have a 8 round promag and iv dumped atleast 1200 rounds through it and once i got the gun to cycle i never had a problem at all. iv actually thrown this thing at a wall. it loads easy and to grab also.

havent noticed anything wiggle cause once its loaded i like to unload it at stuff. but works fine and have shot some slugs with no prb

I forgot to follow up here I'm sorry. I've kept my S12 in the back of the truck and when business was slow at the range that I work at, I'd go get it and send a few slugs down range here and there (we don't allow shot at the range I work at). It hadn't occured to me how long it had been since I cleaned my gas system, it was so leaded up that I could hardly cycle Universal. I made a thread about a specifice FTF that I wasn't familiar with (that was pretty much the title), and any results I had from that test shouldn't be counted. Payday is this sunday so hopefully next week I can do a real test.

I would recomend however that if you do have to do a lot of slug shooting that you use sabot slugs if you don't like cleaning your gas system. Or checking to see if you can hear the puck rattle. I had to pull her apart and use a cleaning rod and hammer to drive the puck out. Fuck rifled slugs...

Edited by Goose

Well the puck moving back and forth is how the gun cycles, the easier it moves the better. Now of course when the gun gets dirty with carbon fouling it might get a bit sticky and not drop out freely, but let me be clear, mine was frozen in place from all the lead built up inside the gas block from all the rifled slugs I'd put through her without cleaning. It took me about 10 mins and switching from soaking in CLP and beating it out from behind with a hammer and metal cleaning rod. I fucked up and learned a lesson...also thinking about how worth it it would be to send the entire gas system to WMD guns to be coated...hmmm...what.gif

As for myself, I remember the pain and grief that AGP went through to bring us a domestic ten-round mag that functioned for a reasonable price, in the days when the only other mag choice over five rounds was the Russian eight-rounders, which were selling for over $150 if you could find one. The chicken-little types gave them no end of hell-- did the same to Mike Davidson, too. After they proved it could be done and that the market was there, then the other companies jumped into the market. These two firms deserve our gratitute and respect, and they will always get my product dollar every time. Yes, I'm an old-school dinosaur, and that is how I feel and spend.

• Like 1

Well the puck moving back and forth is how the gun cycles, the easier it moves the better. Now of course when the gun gets dirty with carbon fouling it might get a bit sticky and not drop out freely, but let me be clear, mine was frozen in place from all the lead built up inside the gas block from all the rifled slugs I'd put through her without cleaning. It took me about 10 mins and switching from soaking in CLP and beating it out from behind with a hammer and metal cleaning rod. I fucked up and learned a lesson...also thinking about how worth it it would be to send the entire gas system to WMD guns to be coated...hmmm...what.gif

I shoot the shit out of rifled slugs too but have never had the puck as frozen as you describe. What size are your gas ports?

I have a 3-hole gun, and the best I can tell you is that there are somewhere between .07 and .08 from the cleaning pegs I got from Pauly when I got my bcg and fcg back from him. Two holes toward the muzzle and one toward the receiver. They arent covered but the one toward the rear is so close to the edge of the hole in the gas block I wonder if I need to taper off the square edge of the whole that it's pointed at. ( I have no idea if that made sense, I had trouble trying to figure out how to describe it lol) Also I've been shooting Winchester Super X high velocity 2 3/4 rifled slugs, how bout you?

edited for spelling

Edited by Goose

I have a 3-hole gun, and the best I can tell you is that there are somewhere between .07 and .08 from the cleaning pegs I got from Pauly when I got my bcg and fcg back from him. Two holes toward the muzzle and one toward the receiver. They arent covered but the one toward the rear is so close to the edge of the hole in the gas block I wonder if I need to taper off the square edge of the whole that it's pointed at. ( I have no idea if that made sense, I had trouble trying to figure out how to describe it lol) Also I've been shooting Winchester Super X high velocity 2 3/4 rifled slugs, how bout you?

edited for spelling

I use the same silver box Super X but i primarily use 2-3/4" Sluggers. I have to knock my puck out but it has never taken more then one good whack to do it.

Mine is a 3 hole gun, 1 @ 3/32 and 2 @ 5/64.

• 3 months later...

Tim, all the mags failed the test, just send me all you mags for testing and I will report to you in a PM.

Be sure to send LOTS of ammo for the test.

Sorry Tim, I can not help Myself sometimes.big_smile.gif

• Like 1

Tim, all the mags failed the test, just send me all you mags for testing and I will report to you in a PM.

Be sure to send LOTS of ammo for the test.

Sorry Tim, I can not help Myself sometimes.big_smile.gif

That's what I love about this forum. You can always count on someone here to help you out. You've got a deal, but do I send the appropriate firearms too? Just because they work in yours, that's no guarantee they will in mine.

Other than factory mags or MD Arms drums, I'm a SGM guy. Only fired AGP mags a few times, and they were the clear ones (in 15 degree temps). One broke near the locking lug. But that doesn't mean AGPs are bad. Maybe that particular one (or the clear ones in general) don't like the cold as much. Who knows, but I haven't shot them enough to have much of an informed opinion on them yet.

Now, the SGM mags, I've got around a dozen of those (all in 8 round length). A few are the clear ones, but I hardly use those. Three of my original ones get shot 90% of the time when I go to the range. The others usually sit in the range bag. I'd say, between those three 8 rd SGM mags, they've had close to 3500 to 4000 rounds through them. So figure at least 1,000 shots each. These are the older ones where the top rib on the sides hit the bottom of the receiver towards the back:

surefire-2.jpg

They still work great, with everything from birdshot to slugs. No complaints with the 5 rd factory mags either.

• Like 1

That's what I love about this forum. You can always count on someone here to help you out. You've got a deal, but do I send the appropriate firearms too? Just because they work in yours, that's no guarantee they will in mine.

Ya know I did not think of that, even better yet, just bring them with ya.

I can put ya up for a few days, IT WOULD BE GREAT TO MEET YOU!

If you ever get to TN, let me know, I will supply the ammo, range(backyard),

food and a bed, you are alright by me Bro.

• Like 1

Thanks RED. I appreciate that. In actuality I do believe there are like minded people here that wouldn't hesitate to help fellow members. I've seen it happen numerous times. All of us in the minority need to stick together these days.