AK Ratchet Charging System - SHOT Show 2012

Like the video said it can reduce your reload time. You won't have to take your right hand off of the pistol grip to charge the rifle.

Can anyone explain how this works? What's better with this mod other than the left hand operation (for a RH shooter)?

As a lefty shooter, I see no ergonimic improvement for me.

And this is really the first product I've heard of from SHOT with a reasonable MSRP.

It's essentially like a Lightning Bolt that doesn't reciprocate or require a big gash on the left side of the dust cover. I like the concept, and the design itself seems to have been refined since its first iterations. Being able to charge the gun with the left hand would be a good thing in my opinion. Not interfering with side-mounted scopes is another plus. I'm dubious of the claim that the steel acts as a heatsink. It will, obviously, get hotter more slowly than aluminum, but it will also stay hotter longer.

If these are Ethan Dublin's design, I'm happy to see he's taking a more legitimate route in getting his products to market. We caught him playing fast and loose with vender rules on SurplusRifleForum, using what appeared to be some rather childish attempts at deception to hawk what might otherwise be a fine product. I look forward to seeing some more about these handles in the future.

I have one on my Saiga 223 and it works perfectly. I also took the original charging handle off and now the weapon can be charged or cleared with the safety on. The price was $209 on preorder so if it's $165 now I will be doing my AK74 and 47 too.

post-26847-0-59488400-1327391114_thumb.jpg

This would be awesome if it had a notch to pit the handle in and hold the bolt open and then could be released same as like in the mp5

ETA: oh yea if this could be done and they make it for the Draco I'd buy one for 250 even.

Edited by Ak Monty

I have one on my Saiga 223 and it works perfectly. I also took the original charging handle off and now the weapon can be charged or cleared with the safety on. The price was $209 on preorder so if it's $165 now I will be doing my AK74 and 47 too.

Did you cut a relief in your safety so that the shell being ejected can leave the receiver?

After 20 slow rounds (re zeroing the red dot) and 2 30 round mag dumps the handle itself was not noticeably hot. The shell was somewhat warm to the touch and very warm near the gas block. Since the metal is thicker and has a large flat radiating surface I would assume more thermal mass, takes longer to heat it up. I did unintentionally touch the gas block however, and said some very harsh things.

According to the website the model "B" fits Saiga 223, 545 and 308.

Did you cut a relief in your safety so that the shell being ejected can leave the receiver?

No, I simply took off the charging handle with a dremel and filed it down smooth. The safety is unmodified. I tested with magpul dummy .223 rounds and they strip from the magazine and exit the ejection port without interference with the safety on. I will try this with live ammo this weekend when I go back to the range (dun wanna have an "oops" in the house).

Pictures as promised, with apologies. Pictures could have been better. Using camera with one hand and manipulating the charging handle with the other while being assisted by curious cat.

First pic, bolt closed, safety on. Note lack of charging handle.

Second, bolt fully open, safety on, about to strip top round and chamber

Third, bolt opening, just short of ejecting the dummy round

post-26847-0-36786100-1327560039_thumb.jpg

post-26847-0-27244000-1327560054_thumb.jpg

post-26847-0-68909200-1327560066_thumb.jpg