QUICK WTK - What is VA law on carrying a AK in a hatchback

Hi, any Virginia guys here, cops especially who know the law regarding carrying a cased AK in an open type hatchback vehicles. I have no defined trunk.

I need to know, ASAP! :D

Thanks!

Might want to read up here: http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms.shtm

I looked through there and see nothing illegal about what you're doing, but check for yourself.

I'm no lawyer, but I do live in VA. My roommate used to have a hatchback and would go to the range with his Saiga rifle and a few handguns regularly. On one trip to the range his car broke down and actually caught fire, he had to empty all the guns out onto the side of the road. When the police and fire department arrived they put the fire out, never mentioned anything about the several guns he had just sitting there even though they clearly saw them. That was on VA tech campus too, after the first shooting that took place there so they are quite sensitive.

VA is a wonderful state to be a gun owner in big_smile.gif

• Like 2

I'm not a cop in Virginia, but I know a guy who has a cousin who's a cop in Nevada so.......... Every inquiry I've ever made regarding carrying firearms in vehicles indicates that, not withstanding the duty to keep it in a container, if it is accessible from inside the passenger compartment in any way then it may as well be on the seat beside you. That being said I'd be very surprised if a state like Virginia had any prohibition on carrying unloaded long guns in a case anywhere in a vehicle.

So there you go. Iron clad and written in stone. Off to Virginia you go.cool.png

Edited by DogMan
  • Like 1

Can't speak for VA, but if the gun laws are anything like in Florida, you can just do what I do: unloaded in a hard case and put a sheet over the case just to be sure nobody sees a big honking black box in the back of your car. Would look like a promising haul for thieves if you leave it unattended.