So I've been looking at the 5.45 for a long time. I plan on doing a 223 one day, but the over all affordabilty of the 545 round is really a decieding factor. So in my search for a Siaga 545, I found one non converted for 299..and on the same sight a Vepr 545 with laminate wood thumbhole stock for 745...I figure by the time, pay Shipping FFL transfer and then Parts and Shipping for conversion I'm looking at the same price. If I go with the S545, I probably wont go wood or laminate..but I can't say it doesn't look damn fine on the Vepr. So any reason I should choose a Siaga over the Vepr?

So I've been looking at the 5.45 for a long time. I plan on doing a 223 one day, but the over all affordabilty of the 545 round is really a decieding factor. So in my search for a Siaga 545, I found one non converted for 299..and on the same sight a Vepr 545 with laminate wood thumbhole stock for 745...I figure by the time, pay Shipping FFL transfer and then Parts and Shipping for conversion I'm looking at the same price. If I go with the S545, I probably wont go wood or laminate..but I can't say it doesn't look damn fine on the Vepr. So any reason I should choose a Siaga over the Vepr?

get the saiga and put the extra money in making it yours.
  • Like 1

Veprs are really nice. I really want one next but I also have a saiga already too. Veprs at the moment are not very customizable. They are heavy. But the craftsmanship is awesome. In theory they should be more accurate, If you pull the action back on a vepr you will be sold. Its like butter compared to a rough saiga.

Im eventually going to get both but the vepr will mostly be a safe queen.

Also keep in mind ATLANTICFIREARMS.com (they're contributors) has them for $699 and I believe they mentioned something about scratching the shipping charge for Saiga12 members.

i would say get the vepr if you can modify it to take hi cap 5.45 mags. i do not know if this is possible. if it is possible to get the hi caps to work then the vepr will probably be the best 5.45 rifle you can get. the rpk style receiver coupled with the heavy target barrel should produce mind boggling accuracy from an ak platform. not to mention it wont get as hot as fast because of the barrel. i have a 5.45 saiga with a 3-9-40 Nikon on it and it is the most accurate riffle i own. it will hold a 1 1/4" group at 100 yards with cheap surplus ammo and could probably do better if i wasn't shooting it. so i would expect the vepr to do better than that. if accuracy is not the most important thing to you then get the saiga and save some money for conversion accessories. but if you want what i would consider to be the most accurate 500 yard ak you can get i think the vepr is the way to go. not to mention resale value but the vepr will hold more value than a home converted saiga. this is all my just my opinion but that is what you asked for. smile.png good luck and let us know how it goes.

Edited by rogers