Whats the OEM S-12 return spring length ?

I saw that no one answered you.There are two springs on the guide rod. The front one from my early EAA import Iz108 measures 6 1/8" (Very low miles) I would have to punch out a pin to measure the other one. For all I know it is shorter. I wouldn't worry about it too much. The front spring from my 2008 IZ109 was 6". That one has seen several thousand rounds.

People used to use 1911 guide springs for low brass tunes and to run soft loads at the competition for a day and then swap back to factory so they can run real ammo. I don't know how advisable this is for lock time issues, but Wolf 1911 springs are available in many steps. It is possible you have one of these, but you can always get a 1911 spring a little softer or harder if needed. I would say that if they appear to have the same finish and take the same amount of force to compress you are probably ok.

And no springs do not loose tension and expand. The only things that hurt a spring are over compressing past the torsion point or over extending it. Storing under tension has no effect, unless you were to heat it or rust it.

Edited by GunFun
  • Like 1

I saw that no one answered you.There are two springs on the guide rod. The front one from my early EAA import Iz108 measures 6 1/8" (Very low miles) I would have to punch out a pin to measure the other one. For all I know it is shorter. I wouldn't worry about it too much. The front spring from my 2008 IZ109 was 6". That one has seen several thousand rounds.

People used to use 1911 guide springs for low brass tunes and to run soft loads at the competition for a day and then swap back to factory so they can run real ammo. I don't know how advisable this is for lock time issues, but Wolf 1911 springs are available in many steps. It is possible you have one of these, but you can always get a 1911 spring a little softer or harder if needed. I would say that if they appear to have the same finish and take the same amount of force to compress you are probably ok.

And no springs do not loose tension and expand. The only things that hurt a spring are over compressing past the torsion point or over extending it. Storing under tension has no effect, unless you were to heat it or rust it.

Thanks for the info,, i forgot to say these two springs are the forward return springs ,