Need Advice on Barrel Length for .357 Revolver

I am going to buy a cheapo Rossi 6-shot .357 revolver in the near future.

DISCLAIMERS: I don't need to hear that I need to spend two to three times more on a Smith or Ruger because I have plenty of reliable carry and duty weapons and this will not be in that category. The only reason why I am buying it is to have something cheap in both .38 & .357. I am not generally a revolver fan as I don't typically care for the grip angle or the limited capacity, but feel that this can round out my common American calibers collection for my region of North America (I will not be fighting Mammoths, T-Rex's or Grizzleys around here so I don't need something bigger that starts with a .4 or .5).

PURPOSE: It will be a knock-around double-action sidearm that I can carry in the desert or mountains and not worry about legal issues if I decide to hike into California. I also train a lot of noob friends and family for defense and concealed carry and right now I only have .22 (LR & Mag) and .45 Long Colt single actions in the revolver category.

ISSUE: My quandary is whether I should get the 2" barrel so that I can carry the awesome power of a .357 concealed if I ever feel like it (I am qualified for all revolvers on my permit), or whether I should get the extra heft and velocity of the 4" and use it as an open carry only.

QUESTION: What are your thoughts on barrel length vs. utility of each?

Get the 3 inch barrel Rossi.Academy sports carries them.

Thanks, but unfortunately they don't sell that one online and I don't have an Academy Sports in my area. I was also looking to get it in Stainless. Saw that they had those for $229 for the black Friday sale - that would have been a great buy!

ETA: Looks like there are a few on Gunbroker.

Edited by BuffetDestroyer

I agree on the 4", I had 2 1/2s, a Smith 66 and a Colt Python, that I used to carry but shooting .357s from them gives you a huge flash and recoil plus alot less sight radius. If you like the flash for the fear factor that's great, although it's not as easy for noobs to shoot. For a while in the 70s I carried a 6" Colt Trooper while I was waiting on the 2 1/2" 66 and that is a tad too big, but the 4 is more versitile and still not that hard to conceal.

Doug

well bd, you'll get better performance with a 3 or 4" barrel. id keep it under 6 so you can still conceal it fairly easy. i think 4" would give you the best balance between power and concealability and accuracy. so long as its not too much more money.

I used to have a "Dan Wesson" pistol pack 357.

It had a 2", 4", 6", and a 8" barrel that you could

change out in less that 5 mins.

I did not get accurite till I put on the 6" barrel.

I could hit with the 4" just took longer to get on traget.

With the 8" I could hit real good out to 50 yards.

I would go with the 4".

• Like 1

4". 2" is strictly a "belly gun", as they are inaccurate past 7 yards. I have a S&W K10 .38SPL 4" I conceal carry, and it's not that hard with the right hooster. Plus, mine's dead-on out to 75 yards with +p ammo, 50 yds with standard loads.

PS: Rossi is owned by Taurus now. Same lifetime warranty.

I would go with the 4".

I had the same set up. Sold it to a real good buddy. Kept the .44mag version though!!big_smile.gif

3" to 5"! I've had dozens of .357's. and really liked 5" for a belt carry. I once had an original S&W .357 (N frame) with a 5" barrel (nice) It came out of the Lewistown Montana area and was from the early 50's. It was not the "certified" .357 so I thought "No big deal" and traded it for something that I don't remember!!!! I think I paid $175 for it.

If I had half the old Smiths and Colts I've owned in the past I could retire today!

If your gonna carry concealed I would have to say 2" otherwise go with the longer one. For any self - defense situation my 2 1/4" is plenty accurate. If I was going to open carry it would definently be full size.

I love my 6" .357, it is a great shooter and fun to plink with beyond 7yds! Obviously it is not a carry gun. You stated you have other guns for that puropse.....so I say get a longer barrel to shoot at a distance! There are plenty of holsters for the gun to be at your side(I purchased a Triple K leather holster) for just that!

BuffetDestroyer

...It will be a knock-around double-action sidearm that I can carry in the desert or mountains and not worry about legal issues if I decide to hike into California...

I recommend 6", but whatever you settle on, if the above is your goal, be sure the EXACT gun is on the CA list (down to bbrl length and finish). Otherwise, you might run into some trouble.

Thanks to everyone for your input.

I think the 4" works out to be the best of all worlds based on what I am hearing from your experiences. It is a little more expensive and harder to find, but I think I will use it more if it isn't just another CCW gun. It sucks that they only do the stainless in 2" and 6" and the 3" seems to be exclusive to Academy. I have a bit before my NICS exemption comes through on my permit renewal, so I will be shopping around for a good deal in the meantime (looking to keep it around or under $310 shipped)!

I would go with the 4".

I still have my Dan Wesson Pistol Pac. I bought it new over 20 years ago. It has a nice action and hare trigger in single action mode. I'd recommend the 4" as a balance for sight plane, accuracy, and conceal carry.