Ace folding unit

Looking to ad an ace folding unit from CSS.

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-163/Ace-Folding-Mechanism-Saiga/Detail?sfs=6e6b9d2f

I was wondering if any of you our there who have one installed on their s12, or any rifle for that matter, could give me their opinion on how they hold up. Do they wobble at all? Is it worth the money? Is this what tromix installs? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

-Dan

I installed the push button unit CSS sells. The CSS website does not name the brand and the unit itself is marked as made in the USA but does not have a brand.

The folder is aluminum. It has an alan head bolt through the hinge that can be tightened to eliminate play and two small alan head set screws that have to be adjusted with the unit removed from the gun. The set screws seem to work loose on mine but I may be able to remedy that with some locktite. The thing that bothers me about this folding device is the play when the stock is folded. Measuring between the but pad and the shotgun it's about an inch or so of totally loose side to side play. When the stock is not folded and the screws are adjusted it is rock solid.

I have the Ace, I love it. It's got a slight wiggle to it but nothing noticeable. I have mine installed to fold to the left, I've heard that some could fold under recoil but I have yet to experience this.

I like mine because the hinge is kinda like the hinge on a refrigerator door. What I mean by that is that once the stock is over 90% folded, the spring and the way the hinge is designed holds pressure to keep the stock up against the side of the receiver. What this means is, if you have a drum loaded and fold the stock, the spring holds the stock up against the side of the drum so you don't need that nifty little drum adapter for folding stocks...

I installed the push button unit CSS sells. The CSS website does not name the brand and the unit itself is marked as made in the USA but does not have a brand.

The folder is aluminum. It has an alan head bolt through the hinge that can be tightened to eliminate play and two small alan head set screws that have to be adjusted with the unit removed from the gun. The set screws seem to work loose on mine but I may be able to remedy that with some locktite. The thing that bothers me about this folding device is the play when the stock is folded. Measuring between the but pad and the shotgun it's about an inch or so of totally loose side to side play. When the stock is not folded and the screws are adjusted it is rock solid.

My brother and I both have that unit on our S-12s. I don't care much about the play when folded (especially since the stocks I make have a wider butt pad than an ACE, so it can't move as much before the rubber hits the side of the receiver), but they like to shoot loose even when extended, as you mentioned. There are a couple of things going on that cause this. One, the screws can back out pretty easily. That can be solved with loctite. I use the green penetrating loctite, such that I can adjust the screws, and then apply the loctite. That stuff is great for things that have to retain an adjustment.

The second issue is that the set screws have some sort of polymer tip, so they won't wear into the aluminum portion of the hinge. This is good, but they have the problem that they will mushroom out with use, especially with recoil. So, when I install one of these hinges, I spend a lot of time pre-compressing them until I can't get them to mushroom any more. I'll adjust the hinge tight, and then peen the polymer down with a small ball pein hammer. Then readjust, and do it some more. Eventually, you'll get to where they are pretty well mushroomed, and that's when I'll adjust them to where I can just close the stock, and keep working the stock open and closed until it will close and lock reliably with minimal play. Then I put the green loctite on the threads and let it cure. It will still have a very small amount of play, but it's a huge improvement over what you'd get if you just installed it and then shot it a few times. It's a bit of a pain to do this, since you can't get at the heads for the adjustment screws without removing the hinge from the firearm. but it beats having to readjust after every range session.

Another thing I do is put red loctite on the threads for the main hinge pivot bolt, since I've read about instances of that coming loose.

• 1 month later...

I have what I believe is an Ace pushbutton. It wiggles on a vertical axis and any side pressure on the stock one way or the other makes the button and locking bar bind. I still like it better folding than not, but If I do another, I will be looking into Stormwerkz or maybe the DPH.

The standard Ace hinge is great. It does not rattle, or flop around when folded. It only locks when open. The push button units rattle/wiggle a bit. The Stormwerkz hinges lock open and closed, so I will never use them. The last thing I ever want on a fighting shotgun do is to have to fight to extend the stock in a hurry.

I had the standard non-pushbutton ACE hinge on my S-12 before I went to the push button unit, and I had trouble with it unlocking under recoil. The stock never actually folded while I was firing it, but it got pretty wobbly which was quite disconcerting. That was the reason I went to the push button CSS unit; there may be a slight amount of play that I can't quite adjust out, but at least I don't have to worry about it unlocking until I physically hit the button.

I have what I believe is an Ace pushbutton. It wiggles on a vertical axis and any side pressure on the stock one way or the other makes the button and locking bar bind. I still like it better folding than not, but If I do another, I will be looking into Stormwerkz or maybe the DPH.

Stormwerks are good. I have one on my VZ 58.

Not a fan of mine compared to my AK100 folder at all. When locked up, the stock has slight play up and down, which is magnified when shooting heavy loads. The stock also often flaps loose when folded when shooting. The other issue is that if you don't keep the stock pulled up when folding the stock, the folding mechanism chews up the aluminum on the main part of the unit itself. It's also pretty bulky. So, I'm not really a fan of it, but I guess it's a cheap way to get a folder on.