If part (a.) is made to work with part (b.) , and part (a.) is unlawful when joined with part (b.) - the fact that a press you can buy at Harbor Freight may be required to assemble the parts, probably isn't an iron clad defense.

Let me quote Bob here.

"You can buy a lot of Form 1's for the price of a basic criminal defense. Roughly one or two tax stamps per hour for a competent criminal defense lawyer"

IANAL but you might have a case if the ATF busted in just after you cut the barrel if ALL the goodies to restore the length were laid out and ready.

HOWEVER!! I have no interest in being the test case and am not suggesting anyone else be one either. I'm really thinking about doing just what the OP suggests but I'm either going to have a pro do the job or say screw it and pay for a form 1

i am somewhere in the middle. i have no interest right now in anything requiring a form 1. i do have several unassembled kits, on of which will become a pistol. after ready this, it seems plausible that the atf COULD look at my bags of parts and see a receiver in this bag, trigger in that and the 10" barrel over there and conclude i have the necessary components to build an illegal sbr. i will err on the side of caution and leave the short barrel somewhere else until its time to build the pistol. until reading this it did not cross my mind that i was jeopardizing myself. i knew what each kits was for, but that didnt necessarily mean that the feds would/could conclude the same.

I would have no reservations about the OP doing his own barrel. BUT I would not cut the barrel untill I had the welder and barrel attachment at hand. Use some common sense - an illegal assemblege of parts in a single container or case is just asking for trouble. Posting on a public forum that you are going to do it is not the smartest thing you will ever do. Driving 100MPH in the dessert is a crime. If no one sees you you are in no trouble - UNLESS YOU POST IT ON THE INTERNET!!

i am somewhere in the middle. i have no interest right now in anything requiring a form 1. i do have several unassembled kits, on of which will become a pistol. after ready this, it seems plausible that the atf COULD look at my bags of parts and see a receiver in this bag, trigger in that and the 10" barrel over there and conclude i have the necessary components to build an illegal sbr. i will err on the side of caution and leave the short barrel somewhere else until its time to build the pistol. until reading this it did not cross my mind that i was jeopardizing myself. i knew what each kits was for, but that didnt necessarily mean that the feds would/could conclude the same.

why not just don't do anything to get the ATF to come into your house

• Like 1

why not just don't do anything to get the ATF to come into your house

kind of goes without saying. in my case, i didnt really connect the dots and think that what i had -- just a bunch of parts-- could be misinterpreted if and only if there was a reason for SOMEONE to look at my bag of parts. as it happens a good friend of my wife is married to an atf agent. he and i chat guns a good bit. i have shown him some of my builds. i could have easily f'ed up and shown him the rest of my parts. i doubt he would have said anything and may have cautioned me that i was in a compromising position.

I would have no reservations about the OP doing his own barrel. BUT I would not cut the barrel untill I had the welder and barrel attachment at hand. Use some common sense - an illegal assemblege of parts in a single container or case is just asking for trouble. Posting on a public forum that you are going to do it is not the smartest thing you will ever do. Driving 100MPH in the dessert is a crime. If no one sees you you are in no trouble - UNLESS YOU POST IT ON THE INTERNET!!

Thats kind of my thought, IF for what ever reason I got caught in-between the chop and the weld I'd argue constructive intent to build a legal weapon.

No idea if it would work but beats no defense I guess.

Like any responsible person should do, I always advocate staying on the right side of the law. Your choices are your own to make.

I know that constructive possession is a divisive topic, but the guy in the story I mentioned gets no sympathy from me...he had been shooting that unlicensed SBR for years probably, then breaking it down to store it.

Maybe he even bought it that way from someone else. But he advertised it for sale, and agents kicked his door in.

• Like 1

So if someone had a HK 91 rifle with a collapsible stock [which is legal] & also had a V51P which is a HK 91 pistol in the same house, would the ATF consider this illegal since it is possible to remove the stock from the rifle & install it on the pistol? GARY N4KVE