Explain Arsenal to me please

Why such the price fluctuation on models per Arsenal's lineup?

Am I wrong in thinking that if you know your shit you could probably put one "almost" as good as an Arsenal?

I just see some basic models going for the mid 700's and then all the way up past a grand easy. Most of them are built on Saiga's to being with aren't they?

I guess my line of thinking is that as far as "mass produced revamped" AK's they are of decent quality, but is there really that much price difference in the parts that are used putting them together?

Keep in mind, I'm old enough where $350 use to be way to high for a chink 90. I just see what you can get a Saiga for new out of the box and wonder exactly what Arsenal does other than better quality control than say Century Arms.

Century is like Honda.........Arsenal is like Acura......

Same basic product...... just better attention to detail, fit and finish on the Arsenal guns.......

I own examples of both, converted some stock Saigas also.....something about the final pristine finish on a brand new Arsenal I have just never been able to recreate as the finished product.

Just my opinion......everyone has one.......

Edited by armory

Am I wrong in thinking that if you know your shit you could probably put one "almost" as good as an Arsenal?

I just see some basic models going for the mid 700's and then all the way up past a grand easy. Most of them are built on Saiga's to being with aren't they?

I guess my line of thinking is that as far as "mass produced revamped" AK's they are of decent quality, but is there really that much price difference in the parts that are used putting them together?

Keep in mind, I'm old enough where $350 use to be way to high for a chink 90. I just see what you can get a Saiga for new out of the box and wonder exactly what Arsenal does other than better quality control than say Century Arms.

The <$1000 SGL rifles are AK-74M and AK-103 clones, without folding stock rear trunnions/stocks. They don't have any conversion artifacts, everything (like trigger guard) is riveted together very nicely, there are the proper threaded FSB with push pin, gas block with accessory lug, 1000 m sight leafs, riveted bullet guide, etc. The polymer furniture is supposed to be mil spec too. Everything about them is just nice, smooth and tidy.

The >$1000 SGL rifles have the highly desired proper folding trunnions and stocks, which are expensive and are a bitch to DIY.

I wonder what that $350 is in today's money? :)

Edited by SpetsnazGRU
  • Like 1

The <$1000 SGL rifles are AK-74M and AK-103 clones, without folding stock rear trunnions/stocks. They don't have any conversion artifacts, everything (like trigger guard) is riveted together very nicely, there are the proper threaded FSB with push pin, gas block with accessory lug, 1000 m sight leafs, riveted bullet guide, etc. The polymer furniture is supposed to be mil spec too. Everything about them is just nice, smooth and tidy.

The >$1000 SGL rifles have the highly desired proper folding trunnions and stocks, which are expensive and are a bitch to DIY.

I wonder what that $350 is in today's money? smile.png

According to the inflation calculator, $350 in 1990 is equal to $576 in 2010.

if you want to convert one to sgl specs, it wont be much cheaper than an sgl to begin with. especially finding russian parts to put on it. they can get pricey. most people bitch about the finish, but i never had an issue with it on mine. i think they are worth the money. they will have a higher resale value and come with a warranty. a lot of warranties go out the window when the rifle gets converted.

while priced high, you get a quality product in return.

• Like 1

When I received my SGL21 I opened the box while my Wife was standing there......needless to say she has confiscated the gun and she "thinks" it is her gun now. She won't touch my "ugly" Yugo, but I can't even shoot "her" Arsenal without getting the evil eye from her.

• Like 2

It may sound crazy but I bought a 7.62 brush that works great in the saiga. It will Not fit in my sgl-21. I crammed it in there when I first got the rifle, went in a couple inches and I had a hell of a time getting it out. I never bought into the mil-spec b.s. but even the notch on the rear sight is a bit tighter. Even though its not one "I" built I definently feel like I got my moneys worth.

Edited by Yoshi
  • Like 1

I understand that "overall" off the line, odds are the Arsenal is going to be a better gun that the "run of the mill" AK, but if you're going to spend pushing a grand on an AK, why not spend a little more and get a Krebs "custom"? Or is the Krebs overrated?

Keep in mind, I'm no expert on the cost/parts used in building these "Americanized" AK's.

I'm very pleased with my run of the mill Saiga and just wondering if it's worth the extra bucks if I get another hankering for perhaps something "better".

Heck, it could be argued that you can only shoot one gun at a time anyways and you only need one gun. That said, I suspect some of you suffer from the same sickness I get from time to time.

Edited by charlieschoice

I paid around $775 for my SGL21-61 shipped and transferred.........but I have not had to invest one penny in it......good to go right out of the box....I feel it was well worth it. Plus, Arsenals do retain their value a little better in the long run. Just my opinion.