Kalinka Optics 6x POSP Scope for Saiga 7.62x39?

Hey guys!

My friend wants to get rid of a Kalinka Optics 6x42 POSP fixed scope. I think the price is good 170 bucks considering it is brand new. I am just afraid that the optic is too strong for the gun given that the caliber has high bullet drop and AKs aren't accuracy beasts to begin with. Still, what do you think? Should I pass this deal up or would it work fine?

Also, I am going to get a Saiga in 5.45 this summer, so would it work well with that?

I like the POSP because it keeps my sights open too and this seems like a good deal.

Opinions please. Thank you very much! biggrin.png

Edited by commandernavi

All i can say, is that once upon a time, i had a very very high quality AK, and used the scope mount for a POSP, and i just found the scope too high for any sort of cheek weld, which made it about useless....the optics were great, the scope rugged, the rifle superb...i just couldn't use it, is all....folks with higher combs on rifles and/or fuller cheeks etc etc may have no problem, but for me it was a waste of money....have the scopes gone up that much? i gave $125 for mine back a couple of years ago, new from Kalinka

Yeah. They have really jumped in price sadly. Here is the particular scope. Will it be good you think or far too powerful? Also, since it is made for the SVD, will getting on target be difficult?

http://kalinkaoptics.com/posp-6x42-d-w-black-finish-independent-focus-and-1000-meter-rangefinder-rifle-scope-sks-svd-version.html

Edited by commandernavi

I use my left eye with a canted head with all high-mount AK optics. It works well for me.

That's how I do it. With your cheek on the stock, rotate your head so you can view the scope with your left eye. Don't use an SVD mount (I know that's the one on sale right now, but you'd need to replace your side-rail to get it to work.

I've got a 4x and sometimes wish it was a little higher magnification. If you don't like the magnification, I'm sure you could find someone interested in trading. The real choice seems to be whether to go for a mil-dot reticle, or the classic Russian. I love me them Chevrons.

If you're really worried about too much, or too little magnification, why don't you just spend the extra $30 for a Kalinka 2-6x variable posp? The 3-9 is to large imo.

Also, Copes appears to have both the 4x, and 6x scopes for slightly cheaper if you want to try them. They are a forum member so here are the links;

4x- http://www.copesdistributing.net/russian-4x24-posp-scope-p-3221.html

6x- http://www.copesdistributing.net/russian-6x42-posp-scope-p-3222.html

I've got it on the 7.62x39. The BDC works decent, though it's designed for quick adjustment on man sized targets while using the 7.62x54r round; about 2800 fps, but they work well enough for 7.62x39 and 5.45.

It's a scope. It has a fine- tuned way to zero, and a way to make quick on the fly adjustments. The BDC and quick adjust function will be touch and go if you aren't using a 308 or 7.62x54r. The range finder will work, you just have to figure out what turret marking works best with the 5.45x39 (it's flatter shooting so figure 150 or so at 200 yards, 200/250 at 300, etc). If it's your friend who's offering it, ask to take it out to the range with him so you can see if you actually like it grimace.gif.

Thing is since I am currently doing work in another state, I don't have the ability to go out to the range with it to try. I am just in town for a bit and can snag it off of him and then start using it this summer once I get my gun out of storage. I think I will buy it since the variables are a good 100 bucks more expense (not to mention I have to wait for shipping). I figure it seems like a good deal for the money and if I don't like it, I can sell it for what I pay. Does that sound reasonable?

Also, Salmon, do you have the link to the variable so I can take a look at it? Thanks for your help!

I'll send you a PM for the link- you really shouldn't post any that aren't forum members. If it doesn't work out, you should be able to trade it around that cost via the forum selling section (considering that you become a contributor), or through ebay.

Aren't they "cam'd" for 7.62 x 54 and not 7.62 x 39 or 5.45? And wouldn't this make a difference in "drop compensation" amongst other things, which I "think" is factored into the POSP for the "54" round and not the other calibers?

Making a "54" scope work on a 762 or 545 platform is kind of like working around iron sights that one doesn't want to adjust isn't it?

If you've got a 308 it works well, but it shouldn't be a big deal for other calibers as long as you stay within reasonable ranges. We're talking roughly an initial 300 fps slower or faster depending on 7.62x39 or 5.45x39. Most buy a POSP for the authenticity, quick adjustment and sheer ruggedness of the scope system. If you want a system you can work around with ballistic charts and all that stuff, go with the mil-dot reticle.

I really like the authentic feel of it and really want to thank you guys for the help. I did end up buying it after looking through it and really liking the feel and price was good. The magnification doesn't seem too strong at all and I can always use the irons for close-range engagements and the scope for accurate (more accurate at least) range shooting. If I don't like it later on, I will sell it and move on, but I am happy for now.

• Like 1