Rio 20ga 00Buck. Has anybody tried it?

Rio now makes a 2 3/4" 20 ga load with 9 pellets of 00Buck with a MV of 1330 fps. Has anybody tried it? A box of 25 runs $13.50. Looking for HD ammo for my sister so i was wondering if the recoil was higher than a normal 2.75. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

That's my issue with any ammo over the Internet, it costs so much to ship there is little to no cost savings.

I had the same issue with targets. It cost the same to ship a boat load of what I wanted one time as it did to ship a few. They weren't the cheapest target so I had to find a few interested people to make it worth while.

Love the profile picture. I've joked about doing the same thing, but just feel a little strange next to the 5k purpose built over and unders on the range.

Edited by kstevenson

Only place I've seen it locally is at Theisens which is Iowa only. I've had the same results as Chile with 12 gauge buckshot. There is a link to Rio on the web that says "Where to purchase Rio ammunition in your area." You just enter your zip code to see what they have. It says if no results appear to contact them for your needs.

Just checked and one of the places is Sportsman Warehouse although I've never seen it there. I'll ask next time I go and get some if they have it. Let you know how it works when I can get it.

Domidarko

They also list a low recoil version of 00.

Edited by kstevenson

Checking it out. Thanks for the info. I kept getting sidetracked every time I thought about searching for more information.

It seems I have a bad habit of finding new parts I order when I start looking up information on any of my firearms.

No worries, that's a common problem around here. It's also a big part of the fun.

Just checked and one of the places is Sportsman Warehouse although I've never seen it there. I'll ask next time I go and get some if they have it. Let you know how it works when I can get it.

Thing is, if they don't stock it, but are a distributor for Rio and you are nice to them you can ask if they will put it on their next order for you. It could very well happen if they are as attuned to customer service as they should be. That way you can avoid the ridiculous shipping charges too. Let me know how it works out because my friend has a 20 and is looking for 20 gauge 00 buck too. I'm going to tell him to do the same at Theisen's.

sgammo.com has it for under 110 a 250rd case. it is not anything special but have never had a missfire. probaly shot half a case so far and have another in the closet. they also have 250rd case of century sluggs on sale for 65 a case. good fuck-off ammo and they ship for 15 a case. just my opinion

Found some GB 20 gauge buckshot ammo at the FWgunshow last weekend. Its Spansih stuff similar to the rio but is labled in metric notation. So all I could tell from the box was it was 9 pellet 20 ga buck, with a 7/8 oz load. Too light to be 9 X 00 buck, so I had to take it apart and it seems the pellets averaged dia. around .290, between #2 and #1 buck, and about 35 grains each. Hopefully I will get to test it out next weekend. I will try to post some photos too. Looks like its going to be a great HD load without any recoil.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I just got a case of 250 RIO -20 ga 9 pellet buckshot RB209 from SGAmmo @ $124.90 -

but somethings amiss (probably only in MY brain) ........

I had ordered a couple cases of RB-209 RIO Buckshot 2 years ago and it said " # 00 Buckshot 9 pellets " on the box;

now on the box of RB-209 I just got - it sez   "  # 1 Buckshot 9 pellets "  on the box .

the SKU is the same , RB209 , for both .

How could this be ??  It's got to be one or the other.

aw shoot ....it was my brain ,,  the Double 00 buckshot was 12 guage and the #1 is 20 ga unhappy.gif

Edited by MIKE20GA

Rio now makes a 2 3/4" 20 ga load with 9 pellets of 00Buck with a MV of 1330 fps. Has anybody tried it? A box of 25 runs $13.50. Looking for HD ammo for my sister so i was wondering if the recoil was higher than a normal 2.75. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

The mass and velocity dictate that it would have about the same recoil as a standard OOB load in 12Ga, since those are 1325 FPS. Sounds like a decent choice.

Oh, and sounds like the post above me got lucky. #1 buck is more effective anyway, unless you are hunting hogs or something like that.

• Like 1

Yes. The logic is the same, the actual port sizes will probably be different.

The revision I would do to that discussion is that If you're handy, probably just ignore warranty, and assume it's easier and faster to fix any issue your self.

Also, if you plan on getting a bolt profile, do that and the hammer profile/ general slick up first. i.e. back to front, rather than front to back.

Just a minor error here - but the Rio 9 pellet Buckshot for the 20 ga is #1 , not double 00 .  Rio does not make a 20 ga shell with double ought .

rio is what i got and my gun did not want to shoot it. i read some where to screw in my adjustable gas plug till it would work. i screwed in the gas plug till my gun would shoot it. now my gun works with all ammo. only thing is i had to order it and it cost me about 50.00 for 2 boxes. i can get the AA for about 10.00 a box so im just going to use it.

Just a minor error here - but the Rio 9 pellet Buckshot for the 20 ga is #1 , not double 00 .  Rio does not make a 20 ga shell with double ought .

#1B > OOB at that velocity. More pellets, optimum penetration plus an inch.

rio is what i got and my gun did not want to shoot it. i read some where to screw in my adjustable gas plug till it would work. i screwed in the gas plug till my gun would shoot it. now my gun works with all ammo. only thing is i had to order it and it cost me about 50.00 for 2 boxes. i can get the AA for about 10.00 a box so im just going to use it.

I can get most ammo to run on my S-20 on setting #2 - but I believe them that say running hi-powered shells at that setting will wreck the gun . Not sure what Rio you were buying @ $25 a box , but I get the good 'ole #1 buckshot delivered at about .55 cents a shell .  I did.t buy my Saiga to shoot birds and girly ammo bad_egg.gif

• 2 weeks later...