Prefer on the end of the barrel?

+1 for a PC..... it actually gives a noticeable benefit without being huge and heavy. They add a little weight and size, but not nearly as much weight or bulk as the brakes that actually give benefit.

BTW I actually like the plastic thread protector. Light.... no tool required.

First, pick what function you want... Choke, brake or flash hider.

What are you going to do with the gun?

Shoot clays & hunt, get a polychoke.

Alot of targets, competition, get a good brake/comp.

Just want it to look badass and impress the range idiots, buy whatever looks evil.

Look here, http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-MUZZLE-BRAKES-dsh-COMPS-cln-SAIGA-12/Categories

I like the poly choke with the vents/brake. They help reduce recoil quite a bit, and you can tune them to what ever type shot /slugs you are shooting. The vented Poly chokes IMO look good.

They work good with slugs you can change the choke opening to match your gun and really tighten up your groups. Way better than an open bore gun or one with a fixed choke. Yeah they dont look bad azz like a breacher brake. But i would rather be able to put 3, 1oz slugs in a 4" circle at 50 yards than use my gun barrel to break down a door. With a Saiga and a 20 rnd drum you could just blast your way thru.

Edited by tommygunner

I am very sold on the winchoke adapter I have. Look in the vendor's section for cobra's customs. Polychokes are better than nothing, but they always score badly in pattern comparisions against conventional screw in chokes of standard design. I haven't taken the trouble to do a pellet count on my own, but the pattern is pretty even and I can expect to reliably shoot clay at least 30 feet further than I can with cylinder bore.

If you want something to look tacticool, and help with recoil a bit, I think the new tromix mini-monster is a stylish pick.

yes. All of them will except for tight constricting chokes. That might be a good application for a brake model because of the heavy loads you will be using.

GunFun, thanks for the response. I have ordered my first Saiga; a RJF custom that has the break "permanently attached" due (I assume) to the shorter barrel (18" total). So I think I have one chance to make the right decison regarding the break. I have other shotguns for clay games so no need to set it up for trap/skeet/etc. Using the Saiga as my hog gun seems to make sense. Thanks again for your input and more would be welcome.

Well, I expect you will be happy with what you have ordered. If I was getting my barrel chopped and pinned or soldered, I think I would go for the extreme options to make it worth the bother.

You could request internal threading for a winchoke for some extra money. Rem chokes have been done too, but they take up more sidewall. For slugs that isn't really needed, but I could see an improvement in usable range for buckshot.

Edited by GunFun
  • Like 1

Well, I expect you will be happy with what you have ordered. If I was getting my barrel chopped and pinned or soldered, I think I would go for the extreme options to make it worth the bother.

You could request internal threading for a winchoke for some extra money. Rem chokes have been done too, but they take up more sidewall. For slugs that isn't really needed, but I could see an improvement in usable range for buckshot.

Winchokes? Interesting. Would they be able to be used if the muzzle break was permanently attached? Would the Winchoke slide inside the muzzle break?

Winchokes? Interesting. Would they be able to be used if the muzzle break was permanently attached? Would the Winchoke slide inside the muzzle break?

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/43443-s-12-winchoke-adapters/

These do.

Tromix did it on a few builds with their brakes, and I am sure others have too, I just can't name any at the moment. I haven't heard anyone offering it recently, but you can ask. I know that there is a fair amount of variance in barrel dimensions, and sometimes the factory threads are not concentric or properly aligned to the bore. So it can be done and has, but maybe not on every s-12.

Yes it slides inside. They made a long wrench to reach down in there. Tromix sells one right now for doing this with the Adkal.

Edited by GunFun

I modifed the Russian GK-01 muzzle brake so I could use internal chokes. I cut off the stock Saiga threads, cut internal choke threads in the barrel concentric with the bore, then bored out the threads on the GK-01 brake and made a slip fit on my barrel, then attached it with set screws. Now I've got it all- chokes and a very effective muzzle brake.

post-31037-0-66116600-1328502605_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Has the compensator shifted any with set screws?

I've seen similar setups with other brakes before, but they were permanent atatchments. It was always unclear whether they had both external and internal threads or whether they slip fit like yours and soldered.

Either way, that is awesome.

• 2 weeks later...