Golden Bear #4BK

So I converted a 410 and loaded up a factory 5 and 10 round mag also a SGM 10 rounder with Golden Bear #4BK to test it out. Was I really bummed out. The gun would shot the first round and when you pulled the trigger to fire the next round all you got was click with no bang. Pull the handle back and it would eject the shell, let it fly forward and it would chamber the next round. All three mags acted the same way.

So I went back to the house and grabbed a box of Winchester Super X 3 inch High Brass 6 shot. I had been using this ammo to rabbit hunt with prior to conversion and it worked great. Loaded all three of the mags up with it and tried them out. Man it just ate that ammo like it was candy, did not miss a beat, all the mags worked great.

So what is it with this Golden Bear ammo? Does the gun need to be broke in or something? Is there to much friction on the bottom of the bolt from the metal cases when it cycles? Any suggestions?

I am sorry that I am not being clear. When you inserted a mag, pulled the action back and let it fly the round chambered just fine. Pull the trigger and the round fired, I think the gun cycled but the empty round just stayed in the chamber so when you pulled the trigger again(not knowing that the empty was still in the chamber) click no bang. Hand cycle the action and the empty round that was in the chamber would eject, let the action fly forward and it would load another round. You could then repeat the same act again. I guess the empty round just stayed stuck in the chamber, not really sure what was happening. When I hand cycled the gun I was able to empty the rest of the mag. All three of the mags acted this way. It must be the Golden Bear ammo, sticking to the chamber or under powered or something. Wish I knew, I am glad the Super X shoots great, lots of it around, costs more but it works!

Are the rounds hard to eject by hand? I mean, you don't have to kick the action open or anything, right? I wouldn't think the rounds would "stick" in the chamber and then easily be ejected by hand so I would say it is likely something to do with the gas. Did you try the #2 gas setting?

Yes, I did switch it to the 2 setting to see if it made a differance. It did, the gun tried to eject the shell but I do not think it came all the way back because it did not eject the empty and then jammed with the new shell from the mag when the action started to close again. Do you think the Super X shells are really that hot that they work great on #1 setting and these Golden Bear shells do not have enough power to even eject under #2 setting?

Cleaned it all out again, yes the puck was in it. Took it out with the factory 5 round mag again today. Shots the same, does not even have enough power shooting Golden Bear #4 buck on setting #1 to cycle the action all the way. The empty stays in the chamber although the hammer resets and when you pull the trigger again click no bang because the shell in the chamber was already fired and is empty. Took the dust cover off, same results.

Put the gas setting on #2 and the action will cycle and attempt to eject the shell but the bolt does not come all the way back so the empty shell does not eject and travels forward in the bolt and jams into the top of the front of the chamber. If you grab the bolt lever and pull it back the empty shell will eject, let go of the bolt and it picks up another round from the mag and loads it.

The gun will shoot #6 shot high brass Winchester just great on setting #1 on the gas block and in both the 5 and 10 round factory mags as well as a SGM 10 rounder. It also shoots Winchester 000 buck and PDX1 just fine.

I believe the issue is the Golden Bear does not have enough power to cyle the bolt back all the way. The gun is new, I think I will try one of those MD power pucks in it, just to see if I can get it to shoot the Golden Bear ammo, I have some I would like to shoot up. If that works I can always change the puck back to the factory one and shoot American ammo.

Okay, so I got a couple of new parts for the gas system to try and get it working with Golden Bear #4 buck.

Put in the MD Arms V-Plug, loaded up a 5 round factory mag with Golden Bear #4 buck, set the gas plug on #4. Failed to eject from shoulder hold. Set gas plug to #5, same result.

Installed MD Arms Booster Piston(gas puck) in addition to the al ready V-Plug installed. Loaded up 5 round factory mag with Golden Bear #4 buck, set gas plug on #1, failed to eject, set gas plug to #5, worked great, set gas plug to #4, worked great, set to #3, worked from shoulder not hip. Reset to #4, put 10 round factory in loaded with Golden Bear #4 buck, emptied the mag from the hip, man the gun really rocks.

Checked out rear trunion, looks okay. I have a buffer pad that I also picked up from the Saiga 12 store and will try the gun out with it installed next time I am out.

Did not try it out with Golden Bear slugs, I am sure they will work just fine with a little adjustment to the MD Arms V Plug, This with a high performance puck really added alot of ability to shoot different types of ammo.

I really like the V Plug, was wondering if any of you all have one of those self adjusting plugs installed. Do they work as good in the 410 as advertised in a 12.

I have an Arsenal so no adjustment. I have a post in to Pauly to see if a glass job might help. I polished my chamber and at least now the shells do not come out all scratched up. Mine came out scratched up even from just manual cycling. I could see the irregularities with a bore light. After shooting you could also see high and low spots by the powder blow back. Long dark lines down the chamber. Like a mirror now.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It is 3". It measures 2 3/4" like most unfired plastic hull 3". Since there is no crimped over part the spent hull will still measure 2 3/4", not the 3" that a FIRED plastic hull will measure.

• 1 month later...

Glad I found this! My bullpup 410 cycled great with standard #4 winchester high bras but did exactly the same thing with the Golden bear 4BK. I had the lighter recoil spring in it and still the same issue so Irder an MD arms plug and puck. Should get me up and running.

The #4 high brass Winchester loads seemed devastating on silhuette targets at 20 paces out of my bobbed barrel Kushnapup 410. Sweet gun!

• 7 months later...