Broken mag with Tac47 Magwell

So I tore my saiga down from stock and converted it and installed the new magwell on it recently, my plan was to paint the gun so I put it all back together to make sure I didnt need to make and modifications before painting. So while its together I wanted to test out the new magwell and autoplug. I have only modified one SGM mad to fit the magwell, so I would just reload the one mag and use that, ran through 4 full mags just fine and about halfway through the 5th mag my mag dropped. I thought that to be weird but I just tried to lock it back in and it wouldnt stay. So I looked at it and the rib that the mag release/mag lock grabs was broken off.

IMG_0907.jpg

IMG_0906.jpg

IMG_0905.jpg

IMG_0904.jpg

Report: Well shit sad.png

Now im not sure what to do, I really like the magwell but if its going to keep breaking all my mags then its not really worth it.

Try filing a notch under that rib. It should give the catch more to grab and be less likely to break.

Well stated. I lost part of my rib, but not as bad. An angular notch worked fine. Make it look like the impression the release might make in the mag if it could make one.

Edited by evlblkwpnz

Maybe the thing to do is take the plastic shavings from the lugs you ground off and use a soldering iron or hot knife to weld material on there. What I am picturing is a ramp shaped build up reinforcing that thin little rib that this uses as a catch.

I have one of my mags that a rib got sheared off for no discrenable reason too. I think the JTE magwells may be more reliable than these because as it stands they lock up with more material.

I had mags setup for the JTE magwell which require the side ribs to be ground off some. To make the work, I undercut the rib and built up the ribs with Z-Poxy epoxy mixed with carbon fiber. Profiled the epoxy lug to resemble the factory lug. They work great. The angle helps with easier locking in. Ran a 3-gun a couple weeks ago and all worked flawlessly.

th_IMG_20120108_220633.jpg

I'd like to see pictures of a R&R modded mag design. From an outsider looking in, my impression is that the magwell is designed to catch that thin rib for retension which seems like disaster waiting to happen. Every other mag with that style retension system I know of, even on metal mags has minor mag intrusion to hold. (AR, some pistols, HK's, etc). just look at the size of a normal S12/ AK catch area. What does the catch look like?

Wow I thought it was just my mag that had a problem. I took the SBS to the 3 gun match yesterday and broke the tab off about 150 rounds into shooting. My fix was to take a 1/4 inch bit and cut a slot into the mag just under the rib that broke, I actually prefer this method and will do it on all my mags it makes the lock up even tighter. I removed the follower and spring to make the cut.

dscn2536m.jpg

Edited by NinerRider

I my line of work I have to repair broken plastic stuff.

We use some of the plastic cut into small pieces, mix with acetone.

Dont mix fast (makes it set to fast)and use more acetone than you think.

As the acetone dries it will set.

Dont know if it will work on the mags.

Close-up pictures of properly modified magazines should be included in the instructions. Particularly since you made the claim that yours is more reliable than the competition.

• Like 1

That looks pretty good. I'd say that'd be the preferred way to go as long as the mag catch doesn't go in too far... which was my concern or I'd have done it that way. But! As long as you're having success with it I might try it myself (if I keep my shotgun).

I am actually modifying the catch to go even deeper into the mag.

To all who have purchase the magwell that has a broken rib. Tac 47 would like to exchange your magazine with a brand new surfire Mag moddified for the Magwell. It will have the small notch and will lock up very tight and not break. Send us your old Mag with the broken rib and your name under your magwell order and get a Mag ready to rock and roll. its a very easy modification but we want all of you to be happy and we should have put out the info for more modification of the rib. We have a not had the failure but we also modified ours preemptively. Please send Old Mag to

Tac 47 Industries ATTN: mag swap

5407 Louetta Road STE H

Spring, TX 77379

We will pay to ship your new Mag Free Of Charge.

Close-up pictures of properly modified magazines should be included in the instructions. Particularly since you made the claim that yours is more reliable than the competition.

Our magwell is one of if not the most reliable magwell we have ever used we stand behind the product 100% as you can see in above post. We will also include picture on proper modification to magazine.

• Like 3

That seems fair and a good way to take care of your customers, but to be fair I have found your competitor to be reliable too and have never broken a magazine.

I love my autoplug. Any chance you will make a stepped 2 stage poppet so I can use it with 3" soon?

dsc04099tb.jpg

Risky has it right here. Very close to what I did after my first initial test firing session in which a little piece of the rib came off of one of my mags. After filing the notch, I raised hell with it Saturday and had no further issues.

Damn! Now thats what I call customer service!!

You have just secured me as a customer. A Tac47 magwell just moved to the top of my "buy soon" list.

LB

I love mine. Excellent product. I'm getting used to it a lot faster than I thought I would. It even makes me seem fast ;)