Cracked bolt carrier. Trying to contact RAAC

I have a Saiga 12 imported from RAAC. The bolt carrier has a crack in it. I have talked to a few business members from this site and came to the conclusion that it is a manufacturer defect, and was directed to contact the importer who is engraved on the side of the fire arm. After calling RAAC countless times, Leaving two voice mails, and one e-mail, I have yet to hear back from them. I would love to shoot my s-12 but it cannot be done under these conditions. Has anyone else had trouble contacting them? I have no idea what to do especially since I cant buy a new carrier.

Thanks

-Dan

Is the gun NEW or did you buy it used??? where is the carrier cracked??? Pics??? If you bought it new take it back to the dealer and let them deal with it. If you bought it used OR have shot it for some time and then the carrier cracked I don't think they will do much for you. Not sure. But I think RAAC stopped importing Saiga shotguns and imports the Akdal's now either way the ONLY way to get a spare carrier is from someone parting out a gun no spares are avaiable from the dealer or factory at this time. I am sorry for being the one to give you this bad news but is t does not look good at this point. Also as for E-mail replys from RAAC I have sent several about differant things in the past and never got a reply. I hope things get better for you.

Is the gun NEW or did you buy it used??? where is the carrier cracked??? Pics??? If you bought it new take it back to the dealer and let them deal with it. If you bought it used OR have shot it for some time and then the carrier cracked I don't think they will do much for you. Not sure. But I think RAAC stopped importing Saiga shotguns and imports the Akdal's now either way the ONLY way to get a spare carrier is from someone parting out a gun no spares are avaiable from the dealer or factory at this time. I am sorry for being the one to give you this bad news but is t does not look good at this point. Also as for E-mail replys from RAAC I have sent several about differant things in the past and never got a reply. I hope things get better for you.

All true and also a source of major irritation for me. Saiga spare parts could be imported if the factory just bothered to do so. What's really puzzling is that they could make money doing so because selling all spare parts would easily exceed the price of an assembled gun. Guess it's just not worth the hassle of taking care of loyal customers.

Here is some pics of the cracked carrier.

And here is a pic of the s-12 I cant shoot.

post-27494-0-14321200-1327963170_thumb.jpg

post-27494-0-58695700-1327963254_thumb.jpg

post-27494-0-08816600-1327963344_thumb.jpg

I wonder how may people consider purchasing a Saiga, visit this forum, and don't buy one because they are put off by the lack of repair/replacement parts? In other words, if repair parts were available and the word got out, how many more Saigas might be sold? Are you listening Izhmash???

I wonder how may people consider purchasing a Saiga, visit this forum, and don't buy one because they are put off by the lack of repair/replacement parts? In other words, if repair parts were available and the word got out, how many more Saigas might be sold? Are you listening Izhmash???

Then how much will the price go up?

Yall put your eyes back in you head!!!

Edited by RED333

Pauly can probably weld that...

After he got done dealing with mine, I think he's done with them...

I hope not, I would love to send it to Pauly for repair.. :/

It's defenitly worth asking him. I was just going off a fairly recent post in which he said, "Catching up, while juggling girls, guns, my usual charity work for the destitute, etc... Production's actually cruising, just a lot of work in the shop presently. Just got done doing the last bolt rebuild & the last broken carrier rebuild I'll ever do because it takes too much time."

What is the hold-up on Saiga parts?

Is the parts importation scarcity an ATF red tape thing?

How come nobody has started to produce certain items (barrels, bolt carriers, etc) here in the states?

Is it a legal patent holdup? Seems Arsenal (K-Var) could get around that with their relationship with the parent company...

I have never heard a response on this subject from anybody with real knowledge. really curious.......

Anybody???

RAAC wrote me back

The problem you are having is one that shows up fairly often. We no longer are exclusive with the factory, so the factory is not paying for any warranty work. Here is the new company that is importing the Saigas. Russian Weapons Company Group. Google them and see if they will help. Everything with our name on it is out of warranty at this point. A lot of guys are having the cracks welded up and it seems to work. I can weld yours up for you if you send it in. Let me know. It would be a temporary fix but should hold until someone brings in some parts.

Clyde Woods

RAAC

Awesome. I love not being able to shoot my favorite gun...

The problem with parts is not Izmash problem. The laws in Russia prohibit tampering, changing or modifying "main" firearm parts and doing repairs on main firearm parts - there are no legal gunsmiths in Russia due to that - only way to fix the broken part - is to send a firearm to the manufacturer, using special currier service. if someone does something like polishing a bolt - technically they have commited a crime. Because of that - manufacturers don't sell parts, don't have distribution network - the just don't need to bother - noone can legally purchase a main part of the firearm from them, instead all the guns that need repairs have to get registered as such in local "ATF" office and be sent to manufacturer, and registered again and inspected when they come back - receiver, barrel, bolt, bolt carrier, FCG and etc. ever noticed why Russian weapons have last digits of SN stamped on every main part? when a manufacturer replaces one of them - they restamp the same number on new part. This is done to control illegal firearm manufacturing - a left over from Soviet times.

Edited by Samal

The problem with parts is not Izmash problem. The laws in Russia prohibit tampering, changing or modifying "main" firearm parts and doing repairs on main firearm parts - there are no legal gunsmiths in Russia due to that - only way to fix the broken part - is to send a firearm to the manufacturer, using special currier service. if someone does something like polishing a bolt - technically they have commited a crime. Because of that - manufacturers don't sell parts, don't have distribution network - the just don't need to bother - noone can legally purchase a main part of the firearm from them, instead all the guns that need repairs have to get registered as such in local "ATF" office and be sent to manufacturer, and registered again and inspected when they come back - receiver, barrel, bolt, bolt carrier, FCG and etc. ever noticed why Russian weapons have last digits of SN stamped on every main part? when a manufacturer replaces one of them - they restamp the same number on new part. This is done to control illegal firearm manufacturing - a left over from Soviet times.

Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense. Still, laws are different here and no one could practically ship firearms back to Russia to get them repaired anyway. I'm sure the factory is well aware of this and they obviously have spare parts or they couldn't repair guns that stay in Russia. That being the case, what would stop them from sending spare parts here, where it's legal for gunsmiths to repair them? That's the main problem with buying Russian firearms and I still think it could be easily resolved.

Hopefully, the American market is getting large enough that Ishmash will find it profitable to put a plant in the USA!

Using "10 or fewer forign parts" and building here will remove the artificial barriers to USA sales!

• Like 1

Hopefully, the American market is getting large enough that Ishmash will find it profitable to put a plant in the USA!

Using "10 or fewer forign parts" and building here will remove the artificial barriers to USA sales!

But does some sort of patent law apply to the parts? Could a competent machining shop (There are closed ones everywhere) here in the states spin up and start producing knock off parts or would that be pursued by Izmash or the importer as a patent infringement?

Or why couldn't a retailer buy a container of Saigas and just part them out......seems the parts are worth about as much as the whole....( $250 for bolt and carrier...$225 for a barrel.....$175 for a receiver....guesstimates only.....)022.gif

Just Curious......

A business could probably make more money per weapon by parting them out. As far as patents go, just look at the aftermarket for ARs and cars, I don't think a person could get in trouble for producing a part that works with a Chevy motor or an AR-15, it would be a problem if said company put the original brand of the company that produced the product on it though...

the parts problem is my only problem with saigas. this will have to change before i buy another s 12. there is no excuse for this that is acceptable. i love my s 12 but if the akdal 1919 proves to have good parts support from the factory i will be buying those from now on. as for some one parting out some s 12s - this may be the only option. the s12 has been around for about 12 years now in the usa and the factory hasn't figured out that we need parts yet so i wouldn't your your breath for them to help. sorry to sound so negative but i feel the OP's pain.

so technically anyone can just buy s12's and part them out and make money, just dont sell recievers so you wont get into any trouble

I think you could sell the receiver....it would just have to go through an FFL like a firearm....am I wrong???