Started getting FTE with Autoplug

Started getting occasional FTEs with Autoplug out of nowhere. Approximately one per 40-50 rounds. There was no issues for a few months after I installed it but I had to tighten it almost to the max.

Getting FTEs even with slugs.

Tried to shoot these shells that are 3.5 DRAM equ and ~1200/fps 7/8 oz load - every second round is FTE.

http://www.sellier-bellot.cz/shotgun-detail.php?ammunition=14&product=177

Autoplug? Will try to shoot with Gunfixers plug this weekend.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm a "money where my mouth is" type of guy. Are you still in FL? If so, I would like to challenge you to a gentlemanly wager. I'll bet three of my non-NFA S12s against your S12 with the V-plug that a

Very good. So, what do you think about that Autoplug now?     BTW I told ya that thing needed work   Welcome to the "HELL YES IT RUNS" Club!!!!

And common sense says you have two different individuals that present a glass half full/half empty situation.   On one hand you have a person who is willing to send there S12 to them and have them f

I don't have one, but I imagine it's possible that you have crud (plastic chunk) jamming in the spring or the valve itself and changing the valve spring tension, timing, or jamming the valve slightly open.

Interesting ... I will inspect.

Having to bottom your plug out to get it to cycle means you are on the verge of your gun being undergassed. I would take a look at my ports and open er up a little, also time to clean out your ports sometime plastic gets crudded up with old powder.

I don't quite trust the autoplug just yet, i have the V Plug and i don't really use that wide of a variety of ammo so i don't have the need to use the Autoplug. As has been stated above i would suggest checking your gas ports for any debree or build up.

Edited by Corruptz0rz

Also, try a different gas puc if you have one. I was getting FTE's with the twister puc before I realized that it was a piece of crap. It was a little too small for the gas block so gas was leaking past it, gas that sould have been used to cycle the action. No matter how tight I screwed down the auto plug it would still happen. When I went back to the stock russian puc I had no problems. In fact, my auto plug is now screwed almost all the way out. What a difference a puc makes.

If your S12 will not run with an Autoplug and garbage ammo....

your S12 isn't running well yet and needs work. Very simple....

All of my Saiga 12s will absolutely raise hell with Autoplugs in them, not adjusted all the way in either. Yes, Win Universal bulk, Rem Sport bulk, and Fed Multi-purpose bulk.... in MD-20s.

Nothing wrong with the Autoplug.... but there is something not quite right about your gun. The "Gunfixer" plug doesn't "fix" anything. It offers more adjustability of the EXISTING gas.

I don't quite trust the autoplug just yet, i have the V Plug and i don't really use that wide of a variety of ammo so i don't have the need to use the Autoplug. As has been stated above i would suggest checking your gas ports for any debree or build up.

I trust my weapons and my ability to make them run, therefore, I trust my Autoplugs.... all four of them.

• Like 1

Ok. I am back to business. Here is what I've done.

Disambled Autoplug and cleaned it. Noticed that on the bottom of bolt carrier (where it toches the hammer) it's worn more on one side than on another. I took a bit of metal from the hummer and polished the bolt carrier.

Factory puc was my last resort and I desided to give CSS puc a try.

Ha-ha. I thought I had autoplug maxed out, but it was only 1/3 tight. So I tighten it to the half and tried with different ammo. Bulk Federal, Winchester Universal, light Federal load, S&B, 3 different buckshot loads and slugs.

Overall I shot about 300 rounds using 5 round factory mag, 10 round AGP, 12 round SGM and 20 round MD drum. Not a single FTE.

Woo-hoo!!!

Also shot some clays. A lot of fun. And got a lot of looks and "what a cool gun".

Edited by Razr
  • Like 2

Ok. I am back to business. Here is what I've done.

Disambled Autoplug and cleaned it. Noticed that on the bottom of bolt carrier (where it toches the hammer) it's worn more on one side than on another. I took a bit of metal from the hummer and polished the bolt carrier.

Factory puc was my last resort and I desided to give CSS puc a try.

Ha-ha. I thought I had autoplug maxed out, but it was only 1/3 tight. So I tighten it to the half and tried with different ammo. Bulk Federal, Winchester Universal, light Federal load, S&B, 3 different buckshot loads and slugs.

Overall I shot about 300 rounds using 5 round factory mag, 10 round AGP, 12 round SGM and 20 round MD drum. Not a single FTE.

Woo-hoo!!!

Also shot some clays. A lot of fun. And got a lot of looks and "what a cool gun".

Very good. So, what do you think about that Autoplug now?

BTW I told ya that thing needed work ;)

Welcome to the "HELL YES IT RUNS" Club!!!!

• Like 3

I got ripped in teh other thread for suggesting the V plug was better. This thread makes me happy. Think I'll go hug my V plug now.

Autoplug is a great product. Simple and very good addition for Saiga.

Great is a strong, debateable, word in this case. Between this story, a couple others I've heard, I like the V plug better. Oh, and before anyone spouts off about how I don't know what I'm talking about, I have two Saigas in my safe, one with a V plug and one with the Autoplug.

The autoplug is great for range. For defense, when I NEED it run, when I need to know it'll cycle, I'll use the Saiga with the V plug.

Just my .02 of course. Nothing less, nothing more.

My stock Saiga with the Auto Plug and Tapco Puck worked with Remington 7.5 Bulk from Wally World.

But it was turned all the way in. I just got my parts back from Pauly on Saturday. I went to the range today

every round stove piped or FTE.

I tried Pauly's port gauges and the smallest at 0.070" would not go in to any of the ports. I was able to

get a dental pick in all 4 ports and a 0.050" allen wrench in the ports. A 1/16" at 0.066" would not go in.

It looks like I have to remove the gas block and open up the ports now.

One other consideration is the ETAC Gas Tube Rail may be causing some excess friction.

Malodave

I got ripped in teh other thread for suggesting the V plug was better. This thread makes me happy. Think I'll go hug my V plug now.

Great is a strong, debateable, word in this case. Between this story, a couple others I've heard, I like the V plug better. Oh, and before anyone spouts off about how I don't know what I'm talking about, I have two Saigas in my safe, one with a V plug and one with the Autoplug.

The autoplug is great for range. For defense, when I NEED it run, when I need to know it'll cycle, I'll use the Saiga with the V plug.

Your statement says a great deal about where your S12s are when it comes to reliability. I have 4 S12s with Autoplugs and I would not hesitate to use any of them for defense. They run....

If it won't run reliably with the Autoplug it isn't reliable to begin with.

• Like 1

Your statement says a great deal about where your S12s are when it comes to reliability. I have 4 S12s with Autoplugs and I would not hesitate to use any of them for defense. They run....

If it won't run reliably with the Autoplug it isn't reliable to begin with.

My Saigas run fine. Never had a problem once the warranty work was done. But the Autoplug can fail. It's more complicated than the v plug. It's logic and common sense. You rely on something that is less likely to fail. Again, don't bother arguing with me, you're arguing against common sense and logic.

My Saigas run fine. Never had a problem once the warranty work was done. But the Autoplug can fail. It's more complicated than the v plug. It's logic and common sense. You rely on something that is less likely to fail. Again, don't bother arguing with me, you're arguing against common sense and logic.

Thats your logic and common sense.

Why did you have have warranty work done on your Saiga? Didn't you have the common sense to fix it yourself? Taking advice from someone who has to send their S12 in for warranty work isn't logical.

Edited by Jetmech
  • Like 1

I'm a "money where my mouth is" type of guy. Are you still in FL? If so, I would like to challenge you to a gentlemanly wager. I'll bet three of my non-NFA S12s against your S12 with the V-plug that any of mine (your choice after inspection) will fire more rounds with no FTE than yours will while using MD-20s and any bulk ammo of your choosing. Yes, I will PROUDLY and CONFIDENTLY run an Autoplug. No argument here.... bring the factory mag, the box, the barrel nut wrench, a copy of your state issued DL, and a bill of sale....

I'll even buy the ammo and bring plenty of drums. I have a few....

• Like 7

I'm a "money where my mouth is" type of guy. Are you still in FL? If so, I would like to challenge you to a gentlemanly wager. I'll bet three of my non-NFA S12s against your S12 with the V-plug that any of mine (your choice after inspection) will fire more rounds with no FTE than yours will while using MD-20s and any bulk ammo of your choosing. Yes, I will PROUDLY and CONFIDENTLY run an Autoplug. No argument here.... bring the factory mag, the box, the barrel nut wrench, a copy of your state issued DL, and a bill of sale....

I'll even buy the ammo and bring plenty of drums. I have a few....

I don't think the man is going to take you up on your challenge horror.gif

• Like 2

Now now.... Let's give him a fighting chance here. Two of my S12s have 5.5mm triangle folders and the other has the TAC47 MAG12 magwell. They are all winners and run crazy good. Lots to gain for the OP.

• Like 1

I think a truer test would be to use the same gun and each plug. Run one plug until failure. Clean gun and replace with the other plug. Run until failure. The plug that fails first looses. Comparing two different guns is ridiculous unless this is a gun builder build-off.

• Like 1

I think a truer test would be to use the same gun and each plug. Run one plug until failure. Clean gun and replace with the other plug. Run until failure. The plug that fails first looses. Comparing two different guns is ridiculous unless this is a gun builder build-off.

At the same time, use a mix of high & low brass shells without adjusting the plug.
  • Like 2

At the same time, use a mix of high & low brass shells without adjusting the plug.

No. Use as directed. It's not hard.

No. Use as directed. It's not hard.

The rules would be up to Evil & the guy who has to send his gun in for warranty work to get it to run right. What's his name again......Boomstick or something like that? hans.gif