Just picked up the SP101!

Just got back from my FFL's place a little bit ago. Picked up my very first wheel gun; a 2.25" Ruger SP101 in .357. I've read countless people say "It's built like a tank", and they aren't lying. This thing feels so solid.

While the trigger pull feels smooth, it's heavy as hell. I already expected this, since I did a lot of reading on this gun long before I ever purchased it. I'll be purchasing one those 3-packs of main springs and seeing what I like. People seem to like the 12# spring as a good medium; lighter pull but not too light as to where light strikes occur. Some people report having no issues even with the 10# spring. I think the factory spring is 14#. I'll experiment and see what works best.

I received my Badger boot grips last week, and they've been waiting patiently for today, to meet their new host!

photobucket-5530-1327962184682.jpg

photobucket-3760-1327962102896.jpg

...........and a few minutes later:

photobucket-2809-1327962451911.jpg

photobucket-4745-1327962629346.jpg

In the next pic, you can see a slight alignment issue with the grip halves. It looks like the holes in the halves for the support bar thing are a tad off. I'll be dremeling them out a little bit to get the flush fit. I'll admit, I was kinda put off, given the price of the grips. But I'm otherwise very happy with the grips.

photobucket-4638-1327962514361.jpg

photobucket-4421-1327962571495.jpg

photobucket-3490-1327962699569.jpg

Here are some pics showing the size comparison between the factory grips and Badger grips:

photobucket-2696-1327962392568.jpg

photobucket-4009-1327962250378.jpg

photobucket-2610-1327962325366.jpg

The Badgers are a tad thicker, which fills out your hand better. Otherwise, there's not a huge difference in size. The Badgers are also a tad shorter, but your pinky finds it's home by hugging the rounded bottom of the grip.

Edited by -Shooter-
  • Like 6

I've had an SP101 for several years now. Mine's all-stock and I love that lil' gun! It's one of my frequent ccw choices. I have an Uncle Mike's pancake holster for it, and barely notice I'm carrying it. I especially like how many choices of ammo you have for it. :)

• Like 1

i forget what the inside of my gp100 looks like, but could you give me a pic of the gun with the grips off, i may be able to help you lighten trigger pull without a new spring

Edit: never mind, sorry, thinking of a different gun

Edited by Russian Hammer
  • Like 1

Thanks guys. I like it too!greedy.gif

I don't have any rounds through it yet. Probably won't for awhile. Hell, I had my G21 for a couple months before I was able to shoot it, lol.

Ronin, what's the model # on your holster? I hadn't really planned on this being a CC piece, but figured I would throw it in my pocket when I took the dog out or something. But I was surprised at the size when I picked it up today. It's not as small as I thought it would be. I actually laid it directly on top of my G19 (my current daily carry) and it's essentially the same size. The bottom of the grip and end of the barrel line up almost perfectly.

Sorry, there's no model number... It's just a black, nylon, ambidextrous, pancake holster. I think it cost less than $20! The thumb-strap has velcro adjustments on both sides and a snap release. It is very comfortable and secure! :)

I've never tried the grips you have on there, but the rubbery stock grips (and the weight) make it surprisingly pleasant to shoot with full-bore .357 magnum loads.

Edited by Ronin38
  • Like 1

Looks great guy. Congrats.

Just wait till you shoot it. They are surprisingly fun and more accurate than I am.

You might want to look into some kind of big dot on the front...depending on what you're going to use it for.

Welcome to revolver world.

• Like 1

Nice piece Shooter!!!

Just 1 thing wrong, it aint my house!

I gota ask, what did it set you back?

$491 shipped, I believe, from BudsGunShop. I opted to pay with my debit card, so I lost the "cash discount" of 3%. My FFL had found one for me at one of his distributors and it would have been $465 out the door, but of course, I didn't have the funds at the time and they ran out.

Ronin: I'll have to look into that holster. Thanks.

NM0: I will probably be picking up some sort of NS or fiber-optic front sight. I've seen the install videos and it looks really easy to swap sights. Gonna have to figure out which one I want and then order the spring kit along with it.

Nice pistol Shooter!

Yep, those grips sure dress it up and make it look better.

I've been looking at .357's myself lately. I like the S&W 686's but they are out of my price range. The SP101 and GP100 are strong contenders. I'm also really liking the Taurus Tracker. Academy has a very tempting deal on a Rossi Blued .357 3" barrel for $279, just not sure how it would hold up.

I like your choice though!

• Like 1

Nice pistol Shooter!

Yep, those grips sure dress it up and make it look better.

I've been looking at .357's myself lately. I like the S&W 686's but they are out of my price range. The SP101 and GP100 are strong contenders. I'm also really liking the Taurus Tracker. Academy has a very tempting deal on a Rossi Blued .357 3" barrel for $279, just not sure how it would hold up.

I like your choice though!

I handled a GP100 during my concealed permit class. (Being able to decock a revolver was part of the requirements, lol) It felt really nice. If concealability isn't a concern, the GP100 would be a great choice. You get an extra round over the SP101.

oh, by the way, throw it in the trash immediately, pretty soon your safe will fill up with rugers

I already have my FFL keeping an eye out for Ruger 1911, so you may be on to something.biggrin.png

(This is my first Ruger, so I'm not sure if all Rugers come with them or not, but the SP101 came with a nice lock, as you can see in the 2nd pic. It's not one of those chincy cable locks. I've never used the free gun locks for anything, but I might be using this Ruger one for my locker at work, lol.)

Check out IBOK info online about smoothing the trigger via light polishing.

I did the middle Wolf spring on the hammer but did not change the trigger one.

Dry fire it a whole bunch of times, that always helps too.

• Like 1

Check out IBOK info online about smoothing the trigger via light polishing.

I did the middle Wolf spring on the hammer but did not change the trigger one.

Dry fire it a whole bunch of times, that always helps too.

I've heard about the IBOK. But whenever I try to find the actual guide, I end up in threads on the forum where it originated and read how it's no longer available, due to mass plagiarism or something. I guess you used to be able to sign up at the forum, and read the members-only "library" and that's where it was. But I guess it's not in there anymore. If you have a link to where I can read, let me know.

.......and yeah, I didn't plan on using the trigger return spring that comes with the kit. General consensus seems to be that it feels too weak after installing it. For right now, I'll stick with only swapping the hammer main spring.